spc
uniqs
twhiting9275
join:2002-08-30
Waterloo, IA

twhiting9275 to Lazy Senior

to Lazy Senior

Re: [Cable TV] Ok, now I'm just a bit confused (not to mention a

4 is just fine for me, my premiere can do that. And if I need more, I have 2 in the back room.

As far as 'blowing things away', and 'bells and whistles', the most important bell / whistle is the ability to transfer things from the Tivo to the PC for storage/archiving, and then back to the Tivo when I need to. Of course, no cable company is going to allow that on THEIR devices, they all want you to live on THEIR rules and THEIR terms.

Lazy Senior
join:2012-01-10
Cobden, IL

Lazy Senior

said by twhiting9275:

4 is just fine for me, my premiere can do that. And if I need more, I have 2 in the back room.

the most important bell / whistle is the ability to transfer things from the Tivo to the PC for storage/archiving, and then back to the Tivo when I need to.

I actually have 7 tuners available. I have the Genie with 5 tuners and a DTV HR24 networked to the Genie. The HR24 has "only" 2 tuners.

My Genie has a 1TB hardrive and in a years time I have never had it more than 50% full and that is with a wife trying.

Actually I have never seen anything on TV that is worth storing on a PC. Besides with Directv's ON-Demand all most everything on all major channels is available anyway. Even old stuff that played years ago including series.
Lazy Senior

Lazy Senior to twhiting9275

to twhiting9275
said by twhiting9275:

Of course, no cable company is going to allow that on THEIR devices, they all want you to live on THEIR rules and THEIR terms.

I would suggest you blame the content providers for that not Mediacom.
twhiting9275
Waterloo, IA

twhiting9275

said by Lazy Senior:

I would suggest you blame the content providers for that not Mediacom.

Not when the provider (insert cable company here) is responsible for providing the equipment.

If this was flagged 'do not copy', that would be a whole different issue, and yeah, it would be the content provider. Comcast does this as do a few others from what I can tell

As far as storing things on a PC, well, I wish I had the time to sit and watch everything that looked 'interesting'. There are times I'm months behind (sometimes a whole season) on TV and can just sit and blow through it over the summer, hence a 3TB storage drive dedicated to strictly TV
kb0nly
join:2003-07-25
Tyler, MN

kb0nly

So judging by the picture above the whole argument started over useless WWE content? OMG.. Who watches that soap opera bullshit anymore? The teenagers don't even watch that crap now days.
twhiting9275
Waterloo, IA

twhiting9275

said by kb0nly:

So judging by the picture above the whole argument started over useless WWE content?

Who cares WHY this is going on. The fact of the matter is that Mediacom is in the wrong here, lying to their customers, trying to get them to pay more for something they don't need (upsell) in order to get them to pay for what they want. This is what you call a scam.