Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to me1212

Premium Member

to me1212

Re: nVidia GeForce Experience Open Beta Launched

said by me1212:

I heard they were using amd cpus. I don't know what to think anymore..

RPS is guessing AMD:

»www.rockpapershotgun.com ··· e-139696
said by Rock Paper Shotgun :
The next Playstation is codenamed Orbis. The next Xbox is known as Durango. Both will pack pure AMD technology, but with a slightly different spin than expected

First up, CPUs. And they appear to be identical. Eight cores. 1.6GHz clocks. AMD’s Jaguar architecture. Hold that thought, we’ll come back to it.

On the graphics side, there’s more of a delta. Sony has ponied up for a Radeon HD chip with 18 GCN units and therefore a grand total of 1,152 shaders. Microsoft has allegedly cheaped out with 12 units and thus 768 shaders.

Memory-wise, it’s 4GB of nippy GDDR5 from Sony and 8GB of DDR3 supplemented by 32MB of dedicated EDRAM for the GPU from Microsoft. Controllers and various motion-detection paraphernalia aside, the hardware specs are rounded out by Blu-ray for both boxes.

me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

me1212

8 cores are fine and all, even from amd, when they are -all- being used on an application, but really that low a clock speed? I understand there will be optimizations, but those can take years to master(if the dev isn't too lazy/cheap to do them right), still thats probably gonna hold orbis back some. Even an 8100 at stock may be able to beat that, could even cost less since by then it will be old hardware.

Eh whatever, if thats how sony wants to do it we'll see how it pans out.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by me1212:

Eh whatever, if thats how sony wants to do it we'll see how it pans out.

Pretty much, I'm not buying an new Xbox or Playstation, I'll be getting an Ouya, and a Steambox if it makes it to the market, so Sony and Microsoft can do whatever they feel like doing.
me1212
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

me1212

I'd get steambox, but it looks like its just gonna be a normal linux pc, that can be dual booted with windows according to gaben, that launches into big picture mode. Doesn't sound like it would be worth it since I can just put linux on my gaming pc if I wanted that. Ouya, eh depends I like it, but its just a tegra 3 I'd rather get a nexus 7.7 with a tegra 4.

Other than that my wiiu and pc are good enough for now

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by me1212:

I'd get steambox, but it looks like its just gonna be a normal linux pc, that can be dual booted with windows according to gaben, that launches into big picture mode.

It's small enough and cute enough to park in front of my TV full time so that *might* win my wife over. We've had various PC incarnations attached to the TV, and we usually get rid of it for aesthetic reasons.
me1212
Lees Summit, MO

me1212

Thats the problem with getting married, in modern times, you have to worry about how stuff looks instead of just how it functions.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by me1212:

Thats the problem with getting married, in modern times, you have to worry about how stuff looks instead of just how it functions.

Well that, and children, and pets; wreaking havoc on your setup.

My wife doesn't mind the PC being hooked up to the TV, she just doesn't like living dangerously by having my two year old and the cat constantly poking and pulling on the various wires coming out all over the place.
me1212
Lees Summit, MO

me1212

Oh, okay thats understandable. Still there ought to be a way to like put it on a shelf or something. Assuming you have an entertainment center set up that way.