Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman to garys_2k

to garys_2k

Re: Attic flooring

said by garys_2k:

Looking good! Are you using screws to hold down the flooring?

Yup! I used 4 screws on each joist and there is 4 joists per section so 16 screws per 2' x 4' section.

lazidazi
@frontiernet.net

lazidazi

Anon

Re: Insulating Attic

Okay, now - please don't anyone get fussy with me for asking an ignorant question.

RE Xcal's pictures, insulating attic with rigid foam board on the bottom edge of roof rafters: When one does this, is insulation at/between the ceiling joists then not needed? Is the rigid insulation at the rafters all that's needed for the attic? [including, of course, what he's done on the gable ends, et al]
Critsmcgee
join:2011-12-02

Critsmcgee

said by lazidazi :

Okay, now - please don't anyone get fussy with me for asking an ignorant question.

RE Xcal's pictures, insulating attic with rigid foam board on the bottom edge of roof rafters: When one does this, is insulation at/between the ceiling joists then not needed? Is the rigid insulation at the rafters all that's needed for the attic? [including, of course, what he's done on the gable ends, et al]

You use fiberglass insulation under the rigid board to create a higher r-value insulation while moving the thermal envelope. R-19 fiberglass is the most common under the rigid board which is R-13 for a 2" thickness for a total of R-32. If you can get more then R-19 under the rigid board that's great. Some people use foam instead of fiberglass.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to lazidazi

Mod

to lazidazi
said by lazidazi :

This type of discussion should probably have a thread of it's own but in the meantime I will quote what I posted to another member earlier in this thread.
said by robbin:

You should research conditioned or unventilated attics. It has become more popular in recent years.

lazidazi
@frontiernet.net

lazidazi to Critsmcgee

Anon

to Critsmcgee
You use fiberglass insulation under the rigid board to create a higher r-value insulation while moving the thermal envelope.

Appreciate your reply!

To be sure I understand, one would put (at least) R-19 fiberglass bats, between roof rafters, then put rigid board along bottom edge of rafters. Correct?

I currently have blown-in insulation between [8"] ceiling joists. If I attend the rafters, as per above, will that then suffice [assuming all other air gaps between living space & attic are stopped] as far as insulating the attic?

Attending the rafters w/insulation is going to be quite expensive!

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k to robbin

Premium Member

to robbin
Yeah, it allows you to NOT have a ventilated attic, where the goal would be to keep the attic space as cold as possible. All of the insulaiton is against the roof's inner surface, with the vapor retarder (in this case, the rigid foam boards' foil sheet) facing the attic. Spray foam like Icynene can be used for this as well as unfaced fiberglass (the spray foam has more R/inch but either can work).

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to lazidazi

Premium Member

to lazidazi
said by lazidazi :

Attending the rafters w/insulation is going to be quite expensive!

check your ROI when looking at costs and finance accordingly.