uniqs
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

Slow....

That's slower than their existing network is it not? What's the point?
johnnn
join:2007-01-25
Ann Arbor, MI

johnnn

In that market, that's all the spectrum they can spare right at launch. The point of launching it at all in those markets is to take strain off of HSPA+ on PCS 1900MHz when they start seeing traffic from iPhone 5 (not to mention way better latency numbers and higher upload speeds).

As people migrate to LTE, they will start turning down their HSPA+ deployment, transferring 5x5MHz spectrum blocks over to LTE operation (since with LTE Rel. 10 the channels don't have to be contiguous).

It's a nerd thing.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to silbaco

to silbaco
Was going to say the same thing...

My guess is that they will move to 10x10 LTE within a month or two of launch, so speeds will end up faster than their competitors, on average

For now though, the only plus of LTE is higher upload speeds and less spectrum usage...single channel HSPA+ is slower these days and DC-H+, while faster on the downlink, uses twice the spectrum.

I find it entertaining though that, for all their bluster, TMo LTE is slower than Sprint LTE in KC, for now.

michieru
Premium Member
join:2009-07-25
Denver, CO

michieru to silbaco

Premium Member

to silbaco
Spectral efficiency and coverage first. Speeds later.
decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7

Yeah, for real, whats the point of 10mbps access if very few ever actually qualify for service availability... Its always faster faster faster, never coverage coverage coverage.. True coverage, not the partnership voice only deals that t mobile claims in their footprint..
tired_runner
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25
CT

tired_runner to johnnn

Premium Member

to johnnn
I think you meant HSPA 1700 MHz. T-Mobile operates GSM on 1900 MHz in the US.

Edit: never mind. They operate on both

Mobile country codes
ssavoy
Premium Member
join:2007-08-16
Dallas, PA

ssavoy

Premium Member

Have you been following the refarm at all? They're adding HSPA+ on 1900MHz.
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT

tired_runner

Premium Member

I guess you mean replacing? I don't think you can operate GSM and HSPA on the same band, can you?

I'm not happy that they're refarming 1700 MHz UTMS to LTE. That will make my phone EDGE-only with the prepaid MVNO I'm using now.
ssavoy
Premium Member
join:2007-08-16
Dallas, PA

ssavoy

Premium Member

I believe they are giving less bandwidth to EDGE to make room for 1900MHz HSPA+. EDGE isn't going away completely in those areas. I didn't think all of their phones supported PCS 3G so I assumed they were just adding another band rather than replacing.
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT
·Frontier FiberOp..

tired_runner

Premium Member

The HTC Sensation I'm using does PCS 3G on 900, 1700 and 2100, and EDGE on 850, 900, 1800 and 1900.

Looking at that wiki document again, it looks like you can operate GSM and UTMS on the same band. It seems they're doing it already in certain parts of the country.

I guess they're getting rid of GSM all together. Interesting.....

I need to read up more on how that works. I always thought the only way T-Mobile could offer simultaneous voice and data on a handset is by using GSM to place/receive calls and UTMS for data.

nycnetwork
join:2000-11-12
Brooklyn, NY

nycnetwork to iansltx

to iansltx
They can't move to 2x10Mhz in Kansas since they own a total of 20Mhz of AWS spectrum. 10Mhz for now has to stay for HSPA+21 as some older T-Mo handsets don't have support for 1900Mhz WCDMA.
They'll have to run 5Mhz FDD-LTE for a while in Kansas.

I'd love to see what are they gonna do in Vegas since that's a 30Mhz AWS market. They could either run 2x5Mhz LTE and keep HSPA+42 in the AWS, or scale down to HSPA+21 and deploy 2x10Mhz LTE.

It'd be nice to see first reports from Vegas.
Cobra11M
join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX

Cobra11M to tired_runner

to tired_runner
sounds like to me, voice calls over data (VOIP).. something Metro PCS has already pretty much finished rolling out..

kinda weird but then again could be better for T-Mobile in the long haul... also I wish my iPhone 4s would pick up more than GPRS!!!! just gotta wait for the reframing to be finished.. prob gonna be after metro gets bought out here in town lol
Cobra11M

Cobra11M to nycnetwork

to nycnetwork
id love to see what they do after the merger.. that would give them more spectrum in Cal, and Dallas area's
Cobra11M

Cobra11M to decifal7

to decifal7
Coverage is one thing I don't think T-Mobile its self can get a hold of.. the certain spectrum like that of what Verizon just sold to AT&T would be extremely good for T-Mobile cause it covers almost all of the usa.. its had now days to get a spectrum license like that..

T-Mobile is in test drive mode.. They might be wanting to see how people will take up their iPhones and service offerings first.. then deutsche telecom may come right in with more money and fix coverage issues.. but as it stands they don't want to spend billions more until they know they can make their money back..

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

whfsdude to iansltx

Premium Member

to iansltx
said by iansltx:

For now though, the only plus of LTE is higher upload speeds and less spectrum usage...single channel HSPA+ is slower these days and DC-H+, while faster on the downlink, uses twice the spectrum.

Dual stack IPv4/IPv6 rather than a v6 only PDP context (which T-Mo is limited to on the UMTS side). Also fewer hacks on the network side of things (Eg. proxies).

CCNnorthcali
join:2004-03-07
San Francisco, CA

CCNnorthcali to tired_runner

to tired_runner
T-Mobile are actually not getting rid of GSM, they're just reducing the amount of space allocated to it. The new Ericsson Air equipment they are using on the towers allow 1900 GSM+HSPA and 1700/2100 HSPA+LTE all from the same panel. This also allows the towers to do some serious load balancing between between the frequencies as well. Pretty amazing when you think about it and a much more integrated approach than AT&T or Verizon are taking.

So don't worry, all that AWS HSPA+ and PCS GSM coverage isn't going away anytime soon. The worst that is happening is in some markets they are reducing it from HSPA+42 (Dual Channel) to HSPA+21 (Single Channel) in order to fit LTE in the amount of spectrum available in those specific markets.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA

djdanska to tired_runner

Premium Member

to tired_runner
said by tired_runner:

I guess you mean replacing? I don't think you can operate GSM and HSPA on the same band, can you?

I'm not happy that they're refarming 1700 MHz UTMS to LTE. That will make my phone EDGE-only with the prepaid MVNO I'm using now.

in a few years maybe. No loss of aws hspa coverage.
djdanska

djdanska to tired_runner

Premium Member

to tired_runner
said by tired_runner:

The HTC Sensation I'm using does PCS 3G on 900, 1700 and 2100, and EDGE on 850, 900, 1800 and 1900.

Looking at that wiki document again, it looks like you can operate GSM and UTMS on the same band. It seems they're doing it already in certain parts of the country.

I guess they're getting rid of GSM all together. Interesting.....

I need to read up more on how that works. I always thought the only way T-Mobile could offer simultaneous voice and data on a handset is by using GSM to place/receive calls and UTMS for data.

umts/hspa has always had the ability for calling & data at the same time. No 2g network technically needed and T-Mobile does have some he hspa only areas.

bobjohnson
Premium Member
join:2007-02-03
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson to tired_runner

Premium Member

to tired_runner
We had this discussion in an old thread. They are gonna be running all the technologies until at least 2015.

»my phone now worthless?