Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8

2 recommendations

[Raiding] This is how we ROFL

The point of this post/thread, is to share how fun it can be to play the game with good-natured folks, even if they are horrible at it. This isn't a "lame duck" thread.

TL;DR: Quote of the night: "You know... I'd rather wipe all night with genuinely good people who suck at this game, than clear everything with jerks".

So, last Friday night, we were knockin' our dailies and discussing what we might do for the night. My wife thought it would be fun to spend the night knocking out Challenge Modes. At some point she flew to Shrine of the Seven Stars and saw that someone was recruiting for HoF. They needed a healer, dps, and a tank... and were asking folks for their ilvl. So she sent her info, got the invite on her hunter. She then got my priest, our bear tank, and our ret pally (because of one their guildies didn't show up) into the raid. So, the count was 4 PnE pugs into a "Second Amendment" (loved the name) hosted fresh HoF raid. Once they invited their last guildie (a mage... older player... like in his 40s) into the group, summons went out... and it was time to get things going.

We stepped into the raid, set up a banquet. Comedy started pretty quickly
said by Rough transcript of Vent :
--Mage: ...(deep southern drawl) Now fellas... I ain't raided except for this one raid... the Sha or sum'n-er-other... there was like 25 people? how many is this? and where are we goin'?
--RL: We're sending out summons
--Mage: cool... I'll wait.
Mage is second-to-last to enter the raid, followed by the RL
--RL: let's buff up, we'll pass out flasks at the first boss
there are a couple of un-related side conversations going on in vent... just good-natured humor... nice vibe
--Mage:... alright guys, I know you'll like this... I got some juice for ya right there....
//Now, I'm still managing several RealID conversations, Guild chat, and Guild Officer chat at this point... but I heard the buff fire off, and noticed the debuff on my screen... but it took me (and the RL) about 6 seconds to realize what it all meant...
--RL: uh... wait... did someone just.... who popped Timewarp?
--Multiple players:... uh... the Mage?
--Mage: yeah, man... you said buff up, I gave you guys the juice
--Everyone: (Silence)
--Mage: "increasing melee... ranged... and spell haste by 30%"... what ya'll don't like that? seems to me that'd be purty good
--Me: yes, it's awesome... but it only lasts 30sec and then it has a 10min cool down. So... we usually like to wait for a specific part of the fight to use it in.
--Mage: Well shoot... I didn't... awe yeah, it says it right there... my bad, fellas.
--Everyone: (Laughter)

So we blast through the first set of trash without incident. When we came up on the next set of trash...
--Shaman: Okay, let me know what you want CC'd.
--rShaman: Are we doing CC?
--RL: go ahead and CC {Moon}
--Mage: uh... now what are ya'll talkin about CC?
--RL: CC that target
--Mage: whut?
(rShaman hexes target)
--MT: Pulling
--Mage: wait, now... what does CC mean?
me: /rsay "CC= Crowd Control" or "Sheep"
I can't really explain in vent because my wife and I are laughing out loud, and I can't explain further in chat because that trash hits really hard and we are 2 healing.

So, we finished clearing the trash. I haven't looked at dmg meter yet, I just know that the r.Shaman is cranking out some serious heals, so I'm enjoying the competition (she's not from their guild).
--rShaman: Can we get a mage table?
--RL: yeah, let's get a mage table up... everyone eat up. Can we get lock stones, and let me know if you need flasks
(lock stone down, feast down, flasks passed out)
--RL: can we get a mage table up, pls
--Mage:...(queues up mic)....uh
--RL: do you know how to make a table?
--Mage:...now just a second... "click"...."click"
--Someone: Are you looking in your spell book?
--Mage: yeah, now hold on... there... Conjure Refreshment... That it?
--rShaman: that'll do
(Mage has created Conjured Mana Pudding)
-- Venom1 See Profile: Okay... just hand some of those over to the Shaman and we're good
--Mage: alright...
(Mage sits down)
--Mage: /sigh... alright, I'm clickin' on it and it aint' doing nothin'... I've done gone through 10 of these now
--RL:... uhm... that's because you're eating them
(laughter)
-- Venom1 See Profile: okay... stop clicking the food. he then talked the mage through opening trade with the Shaman to pass her the food. Meanwhile, my wife and I are dying of laughter... I think she was crying at one point...
The raiding was painful. For PnE it was great to just see the fight and work through it's nuances. I'm proud of our raiders... my wife was top dmg done/dps, our tank did well, we all performed well. For all of the fun we are having with the Mage, the great thing about him was that he was asking questions as they came to him... stream of consciousness... which uncovered another gem...

--Mage: So, how are we supposed to avoid those discs?
--OurTank: DBM will tell you when he's ready to cast Atenuation, and it will also tell you which direction it's going in...
--Mage: now what's DBM?
--TheirTank: yeah... i should probably reinstall DBM
--OurTank: (explained DBM)

Turns out... 4 raiders didn't have DBM... RL included. But none of them spoke up or asked questions until the Mage broke the ice. We were more than happy to explain the benefit of DBM/BigWigs/GTFO. I tabbed out real quick, found a direct link to DBM on Curse.com and pasted it into my vent Comment.
--Me: Okay, since we all have vent, I put a link to DBM in my comment. On our next break, just copy that URL so you can download DBM.
--RL: let's download it now. 5 minute break everyone
me: /dbm break 5 (to showcase the break timer in DBM)
--Mage: where did you put the link?
--Me: in my vent comment... okay, mouseover "Immer" in Vent
--Mage: A'right
--Me: right click my name > Miscellaneous > Copy Comment URL. Open up a browser and paste & Go

yep... I told you guys I was a newb magnet.

But here's the thing... we were having fun. He was honest, good natured, and his guild loved him, despite his horrible performance. We had some people swap out...at which point the RL was like, "can we get a mage table" (explosion of laughter). At some point (nearly 3 hours into the night) the Mage commented again, "I still don't know what ya'll are talking about CC"... that's when our tank shot beer from his nose (shared later in /gchat).

We got another PnE guildy to step in for one of the dps that died early on each attempt. We had been wiping on P3. With the 5th guildie, we saw phase 4. At that point, PnE had seen all of the phases, and we were ready to call it a night... most of us were sore from laughing... but in great moods. That's when I looked at the dmg done, and realized we didn't have the slightest hope at downing this boss... and it was a small miracle that we even saw P4... the Mage was under 20k, and their dps war was averaging 24k.

We had a great night (I know some of you won't understand that given the amount of "fail" in this transcript)... we got to see the fight and know what it will take to win it. We made some friends, and started a couple of aspiring raiders on the right track to improving their performance. Several of us get questions asked now in /whisper anytime we log on.

Quote of the night: "You know... I'd rather wipe all night with genuinely good people who suck at this game, than clear everything with jerks".

I concur. While I'd rather have some middle ground, if I have to choose from the extremes, I chose the former every time.
--
Intelligence is no substitute for Character.

puppy

join:2010-01-28

2 recommendations

I LOLed when I read:

--RL:... uhm... that's because you're eating them

You guys were really patient and nice

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to Immer

$10 says mage bought his account.

Skittles
Premium
join:2011-03-31

1 recommendation

I agree with Snuff.
I enjoyed raiding with new folks and even taking time to explain strats, and we all have had newb moments, but these quotes by the mage you are posting seem like someone very unfamiliar with being a mage at all.
Mage table, CC, how to trade an item instead of eating it, not familiar with Time Warp seems almost impossible if you have leveled your character from 1-90.

fenix_jn

join:2006-12-28
Miami, FL
reply to Snuffbox

I agree. It is impossible to level from 1 to 90 and not know TW's CD or how to CC...

Badger3k
We Don't Need No Stinkin Badgers
Premium
join:2001-09-27
Franklin, OH

said by fenix_jn:

I agree. It is impossible to level from 1 to 90 and not know TW's CD or how to CC...

Nah. I could totally see someone doing that and not knowing what either one means. Doesn't mean they haven't been kicked from a 1000 groups because of it though.
--
Team Discovery: Project Hope

Pollux7777

join:2010-02-16
Saint Paul, MN

1 recommendation

reply to Immer

I can attest to this story. The mage was horrible. Just.... awful. But dang, he was a solid dude. I'd even play with him again (knowing full well I'm looking at a night of wipes) just because I liked him so much.

His open willingness to admit he didn't know what he was doing was refreshing, actually.

I only caught the tail end of the actual raid, but I was reading gchat the entire time and even hearing the story second hand was pretty hilarious, lol.
--
Polluxx - LvL 90 Human Warrior - (US) Ravencrest

Goldheart

join:2002-06-09
Ballston Spa, NY
kudos:1
reply to Immer

Sounds like you had fun.

Venom1

join:2011-10-21
Augusta, GA
reply to fenix_jn

said by fenix_jn:

you obviously havent leveld a toon recently. tbh though, he leveled to 80 took a break, then leveled to 90. he stated he never raided. his words, "I hit 70, thought I beat the game, and walked away."
--
For Rogues, by Rogues, to be used at the Rogue drive through when you order a side-order of Rogue.

Skittles
Premium

said by Venom1:

said by fenix_jn:

he stated he never raided. his words, "I hit 70, thought I beat the game, and walked away."

Thats all the more reason he should know his class. He level to 70 back when leveling was not quick, no BoAs, no exp nerfs to old zones... The things he was "newb" about are not exclusive to raiding. CC, Mage table, how heroism works, how to trade an item....these are all things that a basic player should understand.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA

1 edit
reply to Venom1

said by Venom1:

he stated he never raided. his words, "I hit 70, thought I beat the game, and walked away."

hehe... I had forgotten that comment. I had also forgotten about how he discovered Arcane Brilliance in his spellbook... 2.5 hours into the raid, lol. the RL was trying to save TimeWarp for P4, but I asked if we could start blowing it for P1 hoping to have more survive to P3. We could hear the mage mumble-read through his spell book...
quote:
--Mage: I got TimeWarp and AlterTime... which one of those would be better?
--Me: Don't use AlterTime. It's a fun spell that you should play with outside of the raid. Just use TimeWarp when we call for it.
--Mage: Oh, I got this here Arcanine Bri... Arcane Brilliance... bam! you like that?
--Me: Yeah, man... awesome INT buff. Thanks.
His guild loved him. It was great being with another guild who treated each other so well. There was some language, but it was always directed at the game or at themselves... never at each other.

--

Phantasee

join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA
reply to Immer

Effing lawl. Those are the friends you want on WoW. Cause you get to beat them up in duels all night.

bpoff17

join:2009-03-31
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Immer

Sounds a lot like my wife....

Though my training for her was quite poor. She's playing a hunter and there is a flow of newb questions that I get routinely. I let her do it on her own and figure things out. She just discovered Feign Death at 60 and added it to her bars, then said, but why would I want to die on purpose? Ahhh...the joys of being a newb.

Carpie

join:2012-10-19
united state
reply to fenix_jn

said by fenix_jn:

Nah, that's not true at all. TBH, this type of ignorance of the game is what I grew up on the first year of play also. The recipe? Play alone and quest your way through it. Questing is easy and you never have to CC (except I'll admit that even questing can be tough on a mage) and it is plausible... though I'll give you unlikely... that he never needed to trade anything. Or that the person he traded with was always the one who started the trade window.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to Immer

This is why I do "/dbm ver" for any pug groups

gives me an idea of how ready the group is.
--
»Death Star Petition

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
reply to Carpie

As for the "CC" thing... I'm sure he'd have caught on if we just told him to "sheep" the target. Not having played a lot with others, he just didn't understand the terms "CC" or "Crowd Control". He also wasn't a fast reader, which is probably why he missed my attempt to clarify in /rsay... the fight had already started.
--

Skittles
Premium
reply to Immer

said by Immer:

I had also forgotten about how he discovered Arcane Brilliance in his spellbook... 2.5 hours into the raid, lol.

.......just give Snuff the 10 dollars already

Phantasee

Hammond, LA
reply to Immer

See. I couldn't even get mad over someone like that. I'm too nice/weak/sensitive/hugs/My Little Pony

Phantasee

Hammond, LA
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Skittles

said by Skittles:

said by Immer:

I had also forgotten about how he discovered Arcane Brilliance in his spellbook... 2.5 hours into the raid, lol.

.......just give Snuff the 10 dollars already

There is a good chance he bought it. Agreed.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
reply to Phantasee

said by Phantasee:

I'm too nice/weak/sensitive/hugs/My Little Pony

...did you just call me "My Little Pony"? (j/k)

An interesting note is that I find it so much easier to be patient for fun-loving older players (mature men and women), than when I hear a college-aged voice. For some reason, I just assume they are trollin' or something. That's my bias, and I try to adjust for it. That's where my wife is a real support... she gut-checks me with a, "hey... maybe the kid doesn't know any better"... and she's usually right.

@Skittles, he could have bought his toon. I doubt that is the case here, but it is possible. I do think he's just one of those dudes who logs on to tool around (he has lvl13 pets) and just hang out with the young'ns in Vent.
--

Phantasee

Hammond, LA

Sounds accurate, Immer.

Skittles
Premium
reply to Immer

I suppose that is possible, hell anything is possible. I've seen enough weird and dumb shit in ths game to last a lifetime. I honestly dont see how anyone could level in old wow and not have a basic grasp of their toon. In my last guild we had a couple old timers and while sometimes they had problems with memes and certain "out of the box" thinking about strats, they were pretty well versed on thier toons. Heck, we even had a 60 yr old hunter that would school folks on shot rotations, clipping your shots, stutterstepping and all that bullshit (you would think he was CptObvious' dad, lol).
But again, anything is possible but more oft than not things are probable, like this guy buying the account or playing his son's toon...

Pollux7777

join:2010-02-16
Saint Paul, MN

1 recommendation

reply to Immer

The real difference between me and the mage, is that he didn't mind saying he was a newb.

I remember when I was new, I tried tanking deadmines (no idea what I was doing). I was struggling to hold aggro on group pulls (I don't think I even had thunderclap on my taskbar) and one of the players kept yelling at me to "USE YOUR AOE!!!"

I didn't know what AOE meant, and after he repeatedly kept telling me to "AOE THEM DOWN!!11!" when he finally asked me "dude do you even know what AOE stands for?!" I was too embarrassed to say so, so of course I said yes, and then proceeded to make myself look like a bigger dummy by continuing to not use it, lol.

tl;dr- The moral of the story here kids is that 99% of the time its better to admit your shortcomings than to try and hide them
--
Polluxx - LvL 90 Human Warrior - (US) Ravencrest

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI
reply to Immer

said by Immer:

when I hear a college-aged voice. For some reason, I just assume they are trollin' or something.

^ Only reason Immer and I are still friends - Never skyped.

College-aged voice - Check.
Trollin' - Check.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to Pollux7777

I remember when I was a noob...

Single wielding on my Undead Rogue in my greys and whites...somehow I found my way into WSG. I remember wondering to myself, "Why the fuck am I dying in one hit, and who are these people I am fighting?"...Oh, the good ol' days.

Who knew that a few days later I'd discover Thottbot...then a few weeks later I'd discover Karazhan, and it'd be on ever since.
--
McBrain#1430

Name's Ash...Housewares.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to Immer

The mage sounds a lot like me, though I lack vent.
My voice makes people sick, and they quickly run away.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom

join:2009-10-13
Lincoln, NE
kudos:12
reply to Snuffbox

said by Snuffbox:

said by Immer:

when I hear a college-aged voice. For some reason, I just assume they are trollin' or something.

^ Only reason Immer and I are still friends - Never skyped.

College-aged voice - Check.
Trollin' - Check.

I would be more alarmed if you sounded like Tom Waits.
--
Lore Nerd. Role Player. Raid Leader. Healing Priest. Slightly Annoying. Also Likes Kittens.

Wishflthinkn

join:2011-01-27
Bruceton Mills, WV
reply to Immer

Problem is no one wants to be that guy. I do not know everything. But I know some things and when you ask "Has everyone done the fight" and you get a "Not me" then you explain it. Makes it easier all the way around. I also notice that when you do LFD you better check the toons you are in there with and acknowledge the limitations. Dont be the DK tank that pulls the whole cathedral in Scarlet. Dies raging at his Druid wife who heals like Jesus but failed this time. Only to learn that I changed specs but not gear, Duh. Jesus might heal you through that, But not my wife. But she did rez me, so all good. LOL. I am sure she chuckles often at my raging, then politely points out that I am normally to blame as much as any one. We all make mistakes. Own and learn from them. Life has a funny way of making all of us look dumb at some point. It is easier to come back from it if you aren't a self appointed knower of all before the fall.

BG5150

join:2008-08-14
New York, NY

1 recommendation

reply to Immer

This was my favorite:

quote:
--Mage: Well shoot... I didn't... awe yeah, it says it right there... my bad, fellas.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
kudos:2

I used to raid with this chick that's in her 60's that would sometimes triple box Mages and usually be top 5 in dps on all of them (only on non-current content - on progression she only played one).