share rss forum feed

sreilly24590
Premium
join:2002-10-27
Scottsville, VA
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..

Need to reboot the DSL Modem to get my rated speeds

I have to say that having DSL has been a great change over the 10 years we were on Satellite Internet. While satellite served it's purpose until the phone company ran the fiber cable and got us DSL, it was slower and bandwidth restricted. I did have good speeds as advertised with satellite and felt decent about that as many reported it being just over dial-up. Long story short, 10 years later the telephone company ran fiber optic from it's pedestal 2.5 miles up the road from our switch and got us DSL. At least some of us did. I'm on the close end of the switch so I was as lucky. The rated speeds are 8 mpbs down and for the most part I'm at 4-5 or just a little better. What I find is that over time I loose that upper speeds. I have changed my DNS settings to those of Google's and think this has improved the service but it still slows down. I don't think the number of users is the problem as our switch only serves 110 households and less than 50 are on the DSL service.

What I find that helps immediately is rebooting the modem. The speeds return to "normal" right after that and I may find I need to reboot again several days later. Is this normal? I have 3 computers connected via CAT5 and one laptop wireless. The wired systems pretty much run 24/7 and don't get rebooted often less they were just updated via Windows and require it.

If this is normal, is there a way to have the modem reboot itself periodically? The modem is a Zyxel PK5001Z and my ISP is Centurylink.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy at what I'm getting now and the cost is way lower than satellite but I'd like to tweak it to be as good as possible. I do have all system running Windows 7 Pro with 3 of them on 64 bit and one at 32 bit. They are always updated and protected using ESET Nod32 and Malwarebytes with automatic updates and scans.

Thanks for any suggestions.

mooch
No Booing Allowed

join:2001-11-11
Dublin, OH
Reviews:
·Embarq Now Centu..
I have no answer for that issue but I had something similar going on for awhile and based on when it resolved itself, it seemed to be a CL issue somewhere outside my house.

Often, my speeds would drop over the course of a 2-3 days and when I'd look at the allocated download speed in the modem interface it would show the allocated speed had dropped (ie...6Mbps to 4Mbps). At first, I power cycling the modem to get the allocated modem speed back up. Then I noticed that if I'd simply unplug the phone line from the modem and then plug the line back in after the DSL light went out, my modems allocated speeds would go back up to where they should be. I tried 3 different modems and had this same kinda issue with all of them.

Towards the end of 2011, I had a major issue with my connection and once CL got it up and running again...I never had this issue with the modem's allocated speed dropping again.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Hollis Hosting
·G4 Communications
reply to sreilly24590
You need to step back and identify the root cause of the change.

How are you determining speed is degrading? DNS does not affect speed directly however a typical web site is often composed of many components each requiring its own DNS translation so slow DNS may affect perceived speed, but not a speed benchmark.

First step is to log into the modem and check sync speed and margin. Copper phone circuits are susceptible to noise and other interference. DSL is designed to adjust speed automatically when line degrades. Both should remain pretty stable over time. Margin may change by a dB or so but ideally sync speed does not. If your line is marginal modem and DSLAM will adjust speed to reflect line characteristics. When you reboot the modem it goes through a lengthy training period to determine line conditions. Ideally modem/DSLAM should automatically adjust speed up and down but this does not always happen, it is easier to adjust speed down when line degrades then up as it gets better.

Next perform speed test to stable sites like this one. There is a speed test on the tools page and I like to use speedtest.net.
If modem stats are stable but speed test varies it is most likely congestion within your ISPs network or that one or more PCs on you LAN is using the Internet affecting speed test. Lots of software is pretty chatty these days calling the mothership.

Speed test result should be stable based on modem sync rate. If you think there is a congestion problem try running traceroute (tracert in Windows) to stable sites like this one. Latency should slowly increase with distance and hop count. Sudden unexplained increase typically indicates congestion at that or the previous hop.

If you think you have a DNS problem might want to run GRC DNS benchmark:
»www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

I'm not a fan of using 3rd party DNS. If your ISP has an arrangement with a content distribution network (CDN) provider using other then their DNS resolver can degrade performer because it is not aware of these special connections.

/tom

mooch
No Booing Allowed

Dublin, OH
Reviews:
·Embarq Now Centu..
Not sure he'll find an issue with his equipment or the wiring in his house.

As indicated above, after I tried 3 different modems to fix this same issue, it turned out that was all in vain due to the problem suddenly going away when CL fixed another issue with my line.

Whatever CL did, it fixed two issues at the same time...night time dial up speeds and a sync rate that would drop but not recover unless I disconnected the modem.

sreilly24590
Premium
join:2002-10-27
Scottsville, VA
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to tschmidt
When I see the downloads slowing I usually run the dslreports speedtests. I'll run several times and look for an average.

I've looked through the various menus and setting for the modem and see nothing relating to sync speed or margin. A hint here might be useful.

mooch
No Booing Allowed

Dublin, OH
Reviews:
·Embarq Now Centu..
said by sreilly24590:

When I see the downloads slowing I usually run the dslreports speedtests. I'll run several times and look for an average.

I've looked through the various menus and setting for the modem and see nothing relating to sync speed or margin. A hint here might be useful.

What kind of modem do you have? As far as I know All DSL modems
display downstream and upstream sync speeds. Easiest thing to do is just google your modem and either look for the manual online or google sync speeds+model of your modem. Something should pop up.

CenturyLink
VIP
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID
kudos:7
reply to sreilly24590
Hello sreilly24590, this is B with the CenturyLink Help Team. Generally speaking, you should not have to continually reboot your modem to get your provisioned speeds. If you would like me to check your DSL line for issues, send me your information via our online webform, and I'll take a look: »bit.ly/IArNlt

Thanks,
B
CenturyLink Help Team