ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON
reply to Robotics

Re: HDMI cables

said by Robotics:

Just the fact a lot of their cable require a ferrite core (more weight for one) says a lot.
Even their own words hint to the problem:
"They are used to suppress EMI/RFI electronic noise on the cable by absorbing the unwanted high frequencies and dissipating them as very low-level heat. This is the simplest and cheapest form of electronic noise reduction and is most effective on small gauge cabling, which is inherently more susceptible to electronic noise interference than thicker cables".

"This is the simplest and cheapest form of electronic noise reduction".

A better way is to make the cable right to begin with. Then you wont have a need to provide a "cheap way" of shielding RFI/EMI

This is just my opinion, and experience, being I am in the communications field and run into this situation often.

What ever works for the individual, is fine.

Ferrite cores have been around for a *very* long time, and are a valid method for the suppression of interference in modern high speed data cables. To judge a cable's worth on whether it uses them or not is utter nonsense! Furthermore their premise on the "thickness" of the cables determining susceptibility of noise interference is dubious at best. A thicker gauge wire means less signal loss (which is pretty inconsequential for the typical home theatre setup where the average cable length is under 20 ft). Interference will enter the wire the same way. What is *more* important in terms of interference rejection is the twisting of the conductors, and the shielding around it, not how thick a cable is. For that matter, you can buy a cable with a very thick rubber/pvc jacket, and assume they work better according to these schmucks. Sorry, you've bought into their snake oil marketing "hook, line, and sinker!"

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2

said by ArthurS:

Ferrite cores have been around for a *very* long time, and are a valid method for the suppression of interference in modern high speed data cables.

I recall them on the earliest computer modem and power cables I had back in the 1980's.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.