share rss forum feed

Bengie25

join:2010-04-22
Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Reviews:
·Solarus

1 edit

[HSI] Charter messing with TCP

I suddenly got website issues where everything was timing out, the other week. I started up a trace-route and pinging Google, Netflix, Blizzard, but everything was coming back fine.

I called up Charter and they said they were doing maintenance and the Internet was expected to be down for an hour.

During this hour, I found out any games that exclusively used UDP worked just find and ICMP worked fine as ping and tracert worked.

Seems to me that Charter has something that messes with TCP traffic.

I almost forgot to post this, but I had another Internet hick-up last night for a few minutes that did the same thing.

bshelly
Premium
join:2002-02-17
Conover, NC
I noticed web traffic was extraordinarily slow yesterday afternoon and evening. My tracerts/pings were fine as well. I use external DNS servers (Open DNS) and it had no issue resolving, just content loaded very, very slowly. Something's up and it smells fishy

zed260
Premium
join:2011-11-11
Cleveland, TN
reply to Bengie25
no issues here on a charter business account

anyway i know charter has it in there tos they can throtle you and junk on resdential but they never have done so atleast not that i know for sure about

Catfish

join:2004-02-19
Hickory, NC
reply to bshelly
bshelly, I am in Hickory and also noticing some issues too. The other day service went out for about an hour, both phone and internet. I called charter and they said there was an outtage in the area. I assumed it was probably some sort of maintenance. Then today my phone and internet have been hit or miss. I wonder if they are doing some equipment upgrades or something?

fredbisard

@charter.com
reply to Bengie25
you folks are scattered all over so must be a pretty wide spread thing.

i haven't noticed anything in the last few days. in fact running quite fast this morning.

dks7

join:2004-05-31
Omak, WA
No issues here in the pacific northwest, could it maybe be a DNS issue? Perhaps try some alternatives?

Bengie25

join:2010-04-22
Wisconsin Rapids, WI
DNS was working fine. Remember, any non-tcp services had no problem. I could ping anywhere in the world and get back a tracert showing the name of all routers.

bshelly
Premium
join:2002-02-17
Conover, NC
reply to Catfish
Good to know that it's not just my neighbor and I since we are all served from the Hickory head-end. That sure would be nice if true. I'd love to get faster upload speeds with upstream channel bonding and that would be the next logical upgrade for them to make. My signal levels are all excellent 0dBmv on the downstream, 42dBmv on the upstream and 37 SNR, so dead on perfect, pretty much.

Last night wasn't quite as bad for me, but I wasn't online very much. Tonight I may try to stream Netflix in HD to see if it works alright.

Catfish

join:2004-02-19
Hickory, NC
I am hoping for some faster upload speeds myself. And my signals are spot on too. I am pretty sure this is not a DNS issue for me. I am having pauses in the middle of youtube videos and stuff. My phone is also acting up about the same time. People tell me my voice gets distorted to the point they can't understand me. Then after a small time it clears up. It does seem to be better than a few days ago.

zbcochran

join:2012-05-11
said by Catfish:

I am hoping for some faster upload speeds myself. And my signals are spot on too. I am pretty sure this is not a DNS issue for me. I am having pauses in the middle of youtube videos and stuff. My phone is also acting up about the same time. People tell me my voice gets distorted to the point they can't understand me. Then after a small time it clears up. It does seem to be better than a few days ago.

I am also having the youtube issues. They won't buffer, and when they do, it's extremely slow. Switch over to 4G cell network, it works fine.