how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Lar

join:2002-06-17
Iowa

[IA] Surfboard 6121 a good modem?

Hey guys, I have seen some posts here on modems. Was wondering if anyone could give me some feedback about buying a Motorola 6121? Any issues with those here in Cedar Rapids area? My current modem is a 5120 doc cis 2.0....been told its limited on speed. It has been a great modem and if I upgrade I just want to have the same great results. Mediacom tech just told me to stay away from the Zoom brand............

Thanks

Larry
--
www.r-force.org

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:103

You can use the 6121 with our service, as alot of users here on DSL use it with no issues, but unfortunately we do not offer firmware for it at this time.

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA
reply to Lar

I'm in Marion and I have no problems with the 6121. I have the 50/5 service. I don't check speeds often because my main computer can't handle the speed. I need to build a new one. One of my kids laptops gets 50/5.

tsduke
Premium
join:2006-03-04
Waterloo, IA
reply to Lar

Been flawless for me since installing it in November.

tdawg

join:2012-01-09
Des Moines, IA
reply to Lar

been great since last april when subscribed downstream bonding works great no upstream bonding though since mediacom does not have that

Lar

Iowa

Thanks guys for the answers. Been watching one on Amazon for a while and wasn't sure to go for it or not. I hope Mediacom will be able to offer firmware for it sometime in the future. $80 seems like an ok price.
--
www.r-force.org

Lazy Senior

join:2012-01-10
Cobden, IL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Mediacom

said by Lar:

I hope Mediacom will be able to offer firmware for it sometime in the future.

Why??? I have been trying to find the answer of what benefit is Mediacom Firmware for the Moto 6121.

I have owned one for a year and it works flawlessly. So, please tell me how Mediacom Firmware is going to make it better????

Lar

Iowa
reply to Lar

The reason that it might be good for a cable provider to be able to upgrade your modem is because from my understanding only the ISP is capable of doing these upgrades on your modem. One reason would be if your modem is freezing and Motorola has a released firmware version out to correct this. How would you be able to UPGRADE to that firmware if its only possible by your ISP. Example: Here is what Motorola says: Motorola support and they give the following:

"We apologize about the inconvenience, but your Motorola modem does not support manual upgrades. Motorola is not allowed to control the upgrades of DOCSIS devices, per the standards specification. Any firmware or software changes must be implemented via the cable network. Your cable provider can update the firmware based on what they have approved for their network distribution. Because of that Motorola is not capable of installing firmware for cable modems. Please contact the cable operator to obtain information on upgrading firmware on the cable modem."
--
www.r-force.org

Lazy Senior

Cobden, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom

said by Lar:

The reason that it might be good for a cable provider to be able to upgrade your modem is because from my understanding only the ISP is capable of doing these upgrades on your modem.

If it ain't broke (and it ain't) Mediacom does not need to try to fix it via firmware.

IMO a 6121 firmware "upgrade" is only going to benefit Mediacom, not me. They would have control over a modem I purchased.

mike1965
Geek4rent

join:2002-09-23
Marion, IL

said by Lazy Senior:

said by Lar:

The reason that it might be good for a cable provider to be able to upgrade your modem is because from my understanding only the ISP is capable of doing these upgrades on your modem.

If it ain't broke (and it ain't) Mediacom does not need to try to fix it via firmware.

IMO a 6121 firmware "upgrade" is only going to benefit Mediacom, not me. They would have control over a modem I purchased.

The ability to push firmware out WILL help you in the event a change in the system or other issue caused you issues....I have had terrible issues here with both the SB6120 and SB6121.........so far a cisco modem has been running good....
--
Free computer help »geek4rent.us

Fire Fighter Forum »firetooltrader.com

Southern Illinois Business Directory »www.thesouthernillinoisguide.com

mike1965
Geek4rent

join:2002-09-23
Marion, IL
reply to Lar

By the way my SB6120 ran great for better than a year too........then it went down hill from there

Lar

Iowa

1 recommendation

reply to Lar

I ordered a SB6121 from Amazon. Good price. Thanks for the feedback!
--
www.r-force.org

Boss302_1970

join:2009-12-11
reply to Lar

I have been considering one of these too, basically from the positive reviews i have seen here

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL

You can use the 6121 with our service, but at this time we do not offer firmware for it.

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:2
reply to Boss302_1970

Get a 6141 instead. 6121 is limited to 4 downstreams AFAIK.
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

Lazy Senior

Cobden, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom

said by Anonymous:

Get a 6141 instead. 6121 is limited to 4 downstreams AFAIK.

Since the 6141 is only a little more $$ I would agree.

My question is does Mediacom support more than 4 downstreams? My Moto 6121 does 4 down, however since I have only 12/1 service it seems overkill. One stream is supposed to be good for up to 40mbps. 4X40= 160mbps. What good is it if I only have 12/1 service? How am I being limited by "only" 4 downstreams?

8 downstreams X40= 320mbps. What is the fastest Residential service you can get from Mediacom?

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:2

Well eventually there will be more downstreams so it's a good idea to get a modem that will be able to utilize all of them. 4 downstreams will theoretically provide up to 160 Mbps so you are not limited in any way.
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

GLIMMER

join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL
reply to Lazy Senior

i have 20/2 service and lock 4 channels. Now if mediacom would enable upstream channel bonding that would be nice

Lazy Senior

Cobden, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom

said by GLIMMER:

i have 20/2 service and lock 4 channels. Now if mediacom would enable upstream channel bonding that would be nice

Ok, Why would it be nice? A 4 channel modem doing only 1 upstream channel is fully capable of 2mbps upstream, which is all Mediacom is going to allow you. You are only paying for 2mbps upstream. How is enabling more upstream channels going to help you??

tsduke
Premium
join:2006-03-04
Waterloo, IA

There more to the multiple channel bonding than speeds. On a single channel modem I would see delays in channels changes that would seem like a loss of internet. I don't see them at all with my doc 3 6121.

GLIMMER

join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

said by tsduke:

There more to the multiple channel bonding than speeds. On a single channel modem I would see delays in channels changes that would seem like a loss of internet. I don't see them at all with my doc 3 6121.

tsduke is right.

I was having modem problems with my sb5121 so I got a 6121 and the problem went away. There was an upgrade glitch that was knocking docsis 2 modems offline when D3 went live in september. Mediacombill in the mediacom forums told me D3 was active so I got the D3 modem. They only started selling 50/5 service in our area the last part of DEC. It took them almost 4 months to test and make sure the service was running right.

Boss302_1970

join:2009-12-11
reply to Anonymous

thanks Anon thats good advice

dissident

join:2010-01-30
reply to Lar

I activated a 6141 today. The main difference is it can bond to 8 channels instead of 4. It's basically the newer version. It's only using 4 at the moment though. Log data is very good.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL

Let me know here if you have any issues and I will be happy to look into them!

Jim6141

@mchsi.com

I'll be provisioning a 6141 in Cedar Rapids IA on Monday 3/11/13. I'll post my results then