share rss forum feed

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23

VISA system down across canada

FYI. For over an hour now, the entire VISA system has been down for all of Canada, with all transactions being declined.

Obviously, the customer service departments for all Canadian banks have basically imploded. RBC's just gives a busy signal.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC
... For everything else, there's MasterCard.

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
said by corster:

Priceless

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
reply to Guspaz
It must be a really major outage. Normally, if inquiries to the issuing institution can't go through, the transaction is approved unless the card is already blacklisted in VisaNet. Sounds like a big portion of VisaNet itself is down.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Guspaz
Apparently it's back up now. Looks like the outage lasted almost 3 hours.

I encountered the problem personally. Tried to buy lunch at quarter to three, my card was declined twice.
--

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to Guspaz
Didn't Visa increase their merchant fees recently?

Was getting gas at the time, I though it was an issue with the pump (lucked out and got one that was still wet from the storm), card didn't work inside, so I paid cash. Unfortunately there happened to be a lot of other people who don't carry cash and just had all just filled up.

mr weather
Premium
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON
reply to Guspaz
I only have two credit cards and both are Visa. I'm wondering if I should ditch one and get a Master Card just to dilute the risk, i.e. what are the odds of both networks going down at the same time?
--
"It's all coming down!!" - Mike Holmes

CanadianRip

join:2009-07-15
Oakville, ON
said by mr weather:

I only have two credit cards and both are Visa. I'm wondering if I should ditch one and get a Master Card just to dilute the risk, i.e. what are the odds of both networks going down at the same time?

You certainly want to keep some cash accessible somewhere in case of a long lasting power outage or any other kind of emergency.

I keep three cards myself, each with a different bank. Amex, Mastercard, and Visa. I've learned this lesson the hardway due to business travelling. Some banks love to deactivate your card the second you do an out of country transaction.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
reply to Guspaz
I can just imagine all the irate drivers (in the cold) attempting to use their Esso Speedpass to no avail.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to Guspaz
Small news article on the outage, no details as to how, why, and what happened. CBC's story puts the blame on some 3rd party which managed to screw up the entire system (huh? how is that even possible?!?)
»www.thestar.com/news/gta/article···s-canada
»www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2···age.html

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to CanadianRip
said by CanadianRip:

I keep three cards myself, each with a different bank. Amex, Mastercard, and Visa. I've learned this lesson the hardway due to business travelling. Some banks love to deactivate your card the second you do an out of country transaction.

Or you could do what prudent travellers do and put a notice on the account of your itinerary.

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
reply to mr weather
said by mr weather:

I only use cash for everything but travelling and purchases like real estate. Hopefully the whole system will crash spectacularly and it won't matter what card you use.

mr weather
Premium
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON
reply to peterboro
said by peterboro:

Or you could do what prudent travellers do and put a notice on the account of your itinerary.

Did that on a trip a few years ago to SFO. I didn't want any issues trying to use my cards.

As far as having emergency cash, I've always done that. Normally $100 in a hidden sleeve in my wallet.
--
"It's all coming down!!" - Mike Holmes

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
reply to peterboro
said by peterboro:

Hopefully the whole system will crash spectacularly and it won't matter what card you use.

We might be really lucky and an asteroid might wipe out the whole planet.

So, things are great down there in Peterborough as usual. eh? The font of eternal optimism?

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N
reply to peterboro
said by peterboro:

I did this once with my Visa and I swear the girl on the line was almost like 'why are you telling me this'. Mastercard was good with it. Now, I didn't have any problems with my Visa, but I felt it was luck more than anything else.

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
reply to Wolfie00
said by Wolfie00:

We might be really lucky and an asteroid might wipe out the whole planet.

I wouldn't equate an asteroid wiping out earth with people not being able to run around racking up debt they shouldn't. But this has been an interesting glimpse into how your mind works. I look forward to future leaps into the absurd with you.

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
reply to A Lurker
said by A Lurker:

I did this once with my Visa and I swear the girl on the line was almost like 'why are you telling me this'. Mastercard was good with it. Now, I didn't have any problems with my Visa, but I felt it was luck more than anything else.

I use my Amex while travelling, and let them know, yet still let Visa know in case I have to use it as a back up. I have yet to encounter a CSR who was clueless about this.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
reply to peterboro
And I look forward to your continuing judgments on the role of credit cards in contemporary society.

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
said by Wolfie00:

And I look forward to your continuing judgments on the role of credit cards in contemporary society.

No problem and maybe you have, or will, learn something. I have also posted extensively in other DSLR forums about my wacky anti-use-your credit-card-for-every-little-purchase threads for your reading enjoyment. Go nuts. Grab some of your wine and snuggle up to the fire for a good read.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to corster
said by corster:

HAHAHA!

Well, debit was done in Kitchener...entirely. Not sure if it's related.

I never carry cash, but I had money in my wallet, and a MasterCard too..but used neither because I found 7 loonies in a vending machine and that's all I needed.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to peterboro
said by peterboro:

I only use cash for everything but travelling and purchases like real estate. Hopefully the whole system will crash spectacularly and it won't matter what card you use.

Or merchants will be allowed to outright charge for additional fees for credit card payments, like the 1.5 - 3.5% they pay. Kinda like what's happening in the US...

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
reply to peterboro
said by peterboro:

said by Wolfie00:

No problem and maybe you have, or will, learn something. I have also posted extensively in other DSLR forums about my wacky anti-use-your credit-card-for-every-little-purchase threads for your reading enjoyment. Go nuts. Grab some of your wine and snuggle up to the fire for a good read.

It occurs to me that I usually go for weeks or months without even knowing how much cash I have in my wallet, since I never use cash. I did look a couple of weeks ago and was surprised at how much cash was in there, but then, I had recently taken a really major stash of wine bottles to the beer store. [True!]

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
reply to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

Or merchants will be allowed to outright charge for additional fees for credit card payments, like the 1.5 - 3.5% they pay. Kinda like what's happening in the US...

Good, it'll keep all those people in front of me in line fumbling around with their pins and swiping wrong from using them so much.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Thane_Bitter
said by Thane_Bitter:

Small news article on the outage, no details as to how, why, and what happened. CBC's story puts the blame on some 3rd party which managed to screw up the entire system (huh? how is that even possible?!?)
»www.thestar.com/news/gta/article···s-canada
»www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2···age.html

Quoting the article you linked to:

“Visa is 100 per cent operable. The Visa network is working,” a Visa spokesperson said. “The issue is with a third party provider.”

A spokesperson for TSYS, the company that provides Visa’s payment authorization system said via email that a power disruption at a TSYS data centre was responsible for the service outage.

In other words, the problem was with a third party provider used by VISA as an integral part of their system.

In other words, the blame falls entirely on VISA and nobody else.
--

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
reply to Wolfie00
said by Wolfie00:

...I had recently taken a really major stash of wine bottles to the beer store. [True!]

To you a major stash is over a couple weeks worth as you can't possibly store all that many bottles. Then again you moved to the northern burbs and probably have a larger house now so maybe you can.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to mr weather
said by mr weather:

I keep 1 Visa & 1 MC and about $80 cash at all times. That usually handles any unforseen circumstances.
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON
reply to Guspaz
Gone See Profile is in Las Vegas and wasn't able to pay for something all of a sudden because of this.

I also had an incident today at a CT gas bar where the CT-branded cards were not being accepted by the system. They had to imprint them all.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
said by Last Parade:

Gone See Profile is in Las Vegas and wasn't able to pay for something all of a sudden because of this.

It came up as declined, too.

So, thinking that CIBC decided to fraud lock my card even though I already called them to tell them I was travelling and all I was doing was buying a coffee at the Starbucks in the lobby of the Mandalay Bay Convention Centre, I decided to sit down and try to get on the horn with them. I dial - busy signal. I call the 514 number - nothing, no busy signal, just nothing. Disable Google Voice and do the same thing - nothing. Thinking this has something to do with the absolutely abysmal T-Mobile cell network capacity in the area, I decide to use Wifi to log into my VoIP account at home and call - busy signal. Wtf? I log into one of the office VoIP accounts and call. Finally get through. Managed to get through quick enough, and the woman tells me they're all down.

So, long story short, I paid for my coffee using my Amex the moment the Visa was declined and was sipping it the entire time I couldn't get through. I carry one of each card, but I refuse to carry cash. Cash can't be replaced if a wallet disappears for whatever reason.

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to Guspaz
People were reporting that they also has zero credit with the banks. So it affected more than just credit cards.

Guess we'll know more in the coming days.

Wonder if there was a breach of some kind...

MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON
reply to FFH5
said by FFH5:

said by mr weather:

I keep 1 Visa & 1 MC and about $80 cash at all times. That usually handles any unforseen circumstances.

Pretty much the same for me. I pay for almost everything with my credit cards (they're "rewards" cards), but then again I also always pay my full balance every month.