Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19

Receiver, Maybe?

Hello,

I'm not all too familiar with non-computer electronics, so I'm trying to figure out what will work for me. I moved to a new home, so I've had to completely disassemble my setup and now I have to set it all up again, with everything being in separate rooms. I guess I'll just go over the setup and talk about my issues.

My old set up was in an open space where I had a HTPC sitting to the side, hooked up via HDMI out. I had a cable box hooked up to the TV on another input with HDMI and a PS3 hooked up to it via HDMI, consuming all three of my HDMI inputs. I had an audio out to a 5.1 stereo system. I think it's one of those infra-red digital outs. I'm not familiar with that type of cable.

My new set up can only allow me to get one HDMI cable to the TV, so I need to be able to feed multiple audio/video feeds to my TV through something like a Receiver. I'm just guessing at the functionality of the receiver to be like a big hub that will let me keep one HDMI feed to my TV and feed everything else to it.

Someone point me in the right direction for what I need.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1

Can you explain why you can only use one HDMI?

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth

The TV used to sit on a stand with a lot of open space. Now, it is mounted over a fireplace and the conduit has barely enough room to fit the existing HDMI and power cable through it. I also was able to sneak through some speaker wires because they were extremely small.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
reply to Archivis

»www.amazon.com/Kinivo-501BN-Prem···receiver

Maybe I could use something like this?
--

Dogg
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Archivis

Any current AVR (Audio Video Receiver) can do what you want. Selection will depend upon your budget, brand preference, and the number and type of inputs that you require.

Something like this: »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···82120196

All of the devices connect into the AVR and there is a single output to the TV.
--
Google is your Friend

BoulderHill1

join:2004-07-15
Montgomery, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service
reply to Archivis

I think what you are describing is the ideal way to connect.

The reciever should be the hub of your system. There is a reason it is called a receiver.

In a strictly HDMI set up you would connect all your devices, HTPC, Game Console, Bluray, Cable box, etc to the allotted HDMI inputs on the receiver and then just a single HDMI cable goes from the Receiver HDMI out to the TV HDMI in.

In this scenario you select the desired source such as bluray on the receiver. The video from the bluray passes through the receiver and then the audio is properly decoded and played over the various surround speakers connected to the receiver.

The problem with the way you had your old system connected, being all the devices connected to the TV via HDMI and then a single optical cable going from the TV back to the receiver is that you were not getting the dolby digital 5.1 or the HD soundtrack signals to the receiver.

This is because the TV has a limitation built in to it where it does not pass digital signals it receives over HDMI out to the optical audio out port. It will pass just a mixed down 2 channel stereo signal.

This limitation is intentional by design from the manufacturer and is to be in compliance with the DMCA.

BoulderHill1

Montgomery, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service
reply to Archivis

The Kinivo device you linked could work if your goal is just to simply get all the audio/video signal to the TV.

You would just be listening to the TV's built in speakers. No surround sound set up.

If your intention is to also have actual 5.1 audio or even the better HD audio that is on bluray discs then you will absolutely need an AVR such as the one DOGG linked for you.

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Archivis

»www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-AVR···n+kardon

This would work for your 5.1 system, and would handle all of your HDMI switching as well (has 3 HDMI inputs), as well as digital (optical and coax) and analogue inputs for audio.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
reply to BoulderHill1

said by BoulderHill1:

The Kinivo device you linked could work if your goal is just to simply get all the audio/video signal to the TV.

You would just be listening to the TV's built in speakers. No surround sound set up.

On my prior setup, I had one of those infra red cables running from the back of my TV into my stereo system. It let me play and control sound from the TV. It sounds like if I got this device and a longer cable (I can't remember the name of it), and if I can succeed in feeding it through, I may be ok. The cable was very small, but it's a bitch to feed through this hole that was drilled into the fireplace area that feeds into a built-in closet on the side.
--

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

said by Archivis:

said by BoulderHill1:

On my prior setup, I had one of those infra red cables running from the back of my TV into my stereo system. It let me play and control sound from the TV. It sounds like if I got this device and a longer cable (I can't remember the name of it), and if I can succeed in feeding it through, I may be ok. The cable was very small, but it's a bitch to feed through this hole that was drilled into the fireplace area that feeds into a built-in closet on the side.

HDMI cable.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth

I guess the technical term was simply "Digital Audio Cable". I just thought it was infra-red because when I hooked it into one end, the other side lit up red.

HDMI cables do not do that.

Either way, thanks for the help. I've spent too many thousands on this move to keep leaking more money when I don't need to. I think that HDMI switch sounds like it'll hold me over for a while.
--

ImpldConsent
Under Siege
Premium
join:2001-03-04
Mcdonough, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com

Click for full size
Typical receiver setup
said by Archivis:

I just thought it was infra-red because when I hooked it into one end, the other side lit up red.

Did it look like Audio Optical Cable?

What they are trying to say is that HDMI combines both sound and video into one cable. So, hook up all your stuff (DVD player, Game, etc) IN to your receiver and then hook the single HDMI cable from your receiver OUT to the TV. You can then play anything you want over the receiver and the TV receives the signal.
--
That's "MISTER" Kafir to you.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth

Yes it did. Unfortunately, my stereo doesn't have an HDMI in. I'll eventually have to replace it, but I've had it working for a while with an Audio Optical Cable. They're small and I think I have enough room to fish one of those in.

If I were to get a receiver, your setup doesn't show outputs to a stereo system. Would one be able to accommodate?
--

ImpldConsent
Under Siege
Premium
Mcdonough, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com

Click for full size
Typical 5.1 setup
said by Archivis:

If I were to get a receiver, your setup doesn't show outputs to a stereo system. Would one be able to accommodate?

Certainly. I just took a small screenshot of the HDMI portion. This is an example of an older, cheaper Onkyo, but it's fairly on-par with most receivers. Some have MANY, MANY more options for connecting to your various sources (sources=DVD/BluRay player, VCR/DVR, etc...).

*EDIT* - The receiver IS the stereo system. It's basically doing everything that component stereo's do and more. It will switch from all the AM/FM to Satellite to DVD/BRay to ... whatever.
--

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to ImpldConsent

said by ImpldConsent:

said by Archivis:

I just thought it was infra-red because when I hooked it into one end, the other side lit up red.

Did it look like Audio Optical Cable?

I believe the item being referred to is an IR Emitter Cable

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···82196166

BoulderHill1

Montgomery, IL
reply to Archivis

Yes, it is a Digital Audio cable. They come in two varieties, a coaxial version and the optical variety. The optical is the one with the red light inside.

BoulderHill1

Montgomery, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service
reply to Archivis

said by Archivis:

said by BoulderHill1:

Yes you could use the optical cable in this manner.

However you will not get the 5.1 audio from your sources this way for the reasons I explained earlier.

You will get sound but it is mixed down 2 channel stereo only.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth

Thanks for the info everyone. I'll price some stuff out over a few days and work it into the budget.

ImpldConsent
Under Siege
Premium
Mcdonough, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com

said by Archivis:

Thanks for the info everyone. I'll price some stuff out over a few days and work it into the budget.

Do yourself (and wallet) a favor - avoid BestBuy and other big brick stores - except to browse selections and ask questions. Shop online - my favorite being here: Accessories4Less. Most, if not all, new AVRs will have you future-ready for sometime to come. Also, avoid buying HDMI cables from local stores as well and head over to monoprice.com.
--

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth

I only go to Best Buy to see stuff in person and then I go to NewEgg or Amazon.

I have never heard of Accessories4Less. I do use monoprice for cables. Thank you for the new link. I'll check it out.

I'm an idiot when it comes to this stuff because it's just not my passion. I'd like to have a semi-decent setup, but nothing of significant quality until I can renovate the man cave.
--

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA

The Harmon Kardon I linked would probably be your cheapest option of any quality at $200. I know it used to be on display at Best Buy, but I have no idea if it is now or not.

H_T_R_N
Premium
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to Archivis

said by Archivis:

I guess the technical term was simply "Digital Audio Cable". I just thought it was infra-red because when I hooked it into one end, the other side lit up red.

HDMI cables do not do that.

Either way, thanks for the help. I've spent too many thousands on this move to keep leaking more money when I don't need to. I think that HDMI switch sounds like it'll hold me over for a while.

I have one I need to sell if you're interested.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth

How much?

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
reply to Archivis

Reviving an old thread.

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···FullInfo

I'm thinking about this product. Any thoughts?
--

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

said by Archivis:

Reviving an old thread.

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···FullInfo

I'm thinking about this product. Any thoughts?

Way overkill, and this would be better suited (as well as having a better reputation).

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···1T-00003