PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2

MVM

Uh-Oh!

My company got a stop-work order from the federal govt. (We are a Job Corps contractor). Although there is a tiny chance that I will be kept on, 99.9% odds are that I will be laid off within the next couple of days.

I have not been out of work for even one day since Dec of 1975, never been on unemployment...

The upside is that this may turn out to be a temporary lay-off, but after 20 years US Army, followed by 17 years here, I am not sure how to adjust to no work (not to mention no paycheck).

Just when after forever, I am finally closing in on the 1,000,000 milestone on FAH...I will probably wait to hit that point before shutting down as I will have to keep expenses down.
crygirlrules
join:2013-01-28
Los Angeles, CA

crygirlrules

Hello,

Did u receive the actual stop-order or are you referencing the memo from last week?

Also, what did the stop-work order contain, all OA staff or partial,
Please, give more detail?

Thanks.

onDvine
Grown up Flower Child
Premium Member
join:2005-01-29
So. CA, USA

1 recommendation

onDvine to PeteC2

Premium Member

to PeteC2
said by PeteC2:

... this may turn out to be a temporary lay-off ...

I'll keep my fingers figuratively crossed, Pete.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME

1 recommendation

Dominokat

Premium Member

My sympathies go out to you. Its great that you have NEVER been out of your for so long, especially in this environment.

I hope this turns out better then you expect. Or at the very least, that your "unemployment" is temporary!

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
Bristol, CT

PeteC2 to crygirlrules

MVM

to crygirlrules
said by crygirlrules:

Hello,

Did u receive the actual stop-order or are you referencing the memo from last week?

Also, what did the stop-work order contain, all OA staff or partial,
Please, give more detail?

Thanks.

We knew about the stop work order through the US DOL publication last week, however, the "specifics" as in layoffs etc., was only announced via my contractor today.

As of this afternoon, what we were told is that the final details are still evolving. Perhaps a small skeleton crew may stay in place, perhaps none at all. Apparently though, most of our OA staff (or all) will face layoff.

Keep in mind, different OA contractors may have different agreements insofar as staff make up is concerned.
PeteC2

1 recommendation

PeteC2 to Dominokat

MVM

to Dominokat
said by Dominokat:

My sympathies go out to you. Its great that you have NEVER been out of your for so long, especially in this environment.

Well D.K., it is...and then it isn't so great if you catch my drift.

Yes, I feel very fortunate to have never encountered a layoff...however, the other side of that is that I have never dealt with this situation, and at my age, it is not as if there are a huge waiting list of employers clamoring to interview me, eh?

In today's working world, folks change jobs and even careers pretty frequently...I am admittedly in that respect a dinosaur.

This will more likely than not be temporary in nature...but there are never any guarantees in these things. I will cross my fingers, and maybe it is time to find a "lucky rabbit's foot" (not that there are many "lucky" three-footed rabbits? )

squirt
cacatne alces in silvis?
MVM
join:2004-04-27
Out Grazing

1 recommendation

squirt to PeteC2

MVM

to PeteC2
Sorry to hear about your job situation. Uncertainty about how long it might last is a bummer.

rusdi
American V
MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR

1 recommendation

rusdi to PeteC2

MVM

to PeteC2
Sorry to hear this Pete.
Good luck to you!
Here's hoping you don't get laid-off, and if you do, hoping it's short!

jaynick
lit up
Premium Member
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI

1 recommendation

jaynick to PeteC2

Premium Member

to PeteC2
As rusdi See Profile said.

BadHat
Hook'M Horns
Premium Member
join:2003-10-14
Rosa's Place

1 recommendation

BadHat to PeteC2

Premium Member

to PeteC2
hope things get better

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
Bristol, CT

PeteC2

MVM

said by BadHat:

hope things get better

Hopefully it won't be for too long. What is bad is that Anne has to hold off on any more reconstructive surgery in the meantime.

suprleg
Abracadabra
Premium Member
join:2004-05-06
Garden Grove, CA

suprleg to PeteC2

Premium Member

to PeteC2
Hopefully things will turn around quickly for you. In the meantime keep up your always positive attitude.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
Bristol, CT

1 edit

PeteC2

MVM

said by suprleg:

Hopefully things will turn around quickly for you. In the meantime keep up your always positive attitude.

Oh, I got an attitude all right...oh, yeah...you mean a positive attitude. The other kind would have been easier to maintain...

Tomorrow should be my last day...but as of this evening, we still don't have any official word. Gotta love the Federal Govt. Hundreds, possibly several thousand jobs on the line, and nobody knows anything.

Better yet, I have a small business contractor because the Feds decided that it was important to support small business. You can't make this stuff up! (Oy! With support like that! )

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

1 recommendation

signmeuptoo94 to PeteC2

Premium Member

to PeteC2
Oh Pete! Hit the ground running, I work with an agency that helps people go to work, but not one that you would use, but fortunately, and unfortunately, you ARE in CT so in some ways at least, that is good. Some state employment agency help can be terrific. Might also be a perfect time if you've ever considered learning new skills (I'm going back to school soon, would have already started but have had some hurdles to jump over).

Make sure that you connect with ever coworker, get phone numbers and emails from them, and NETWORK! Most people get the jobs that they do get that way.

My the path before you be a good one!
jackisback
join:2013-01-31
Atlanta, GA

jackisback to PeteC2

to PeteC2
Were also in the same boat. We still have no word. Its like in limbo, and there is no plan!

Am not gonna wait for them to announce it, going to start searching now.

Please, let me know if you here anything from the Feds, and vice-versa?
jackisback

jackisback to PeteC2

to PeteC2
In 45 years or so during the program, this is the 1st time this has ever happened.

The worst part is the waiting and no answer. Its always a good habit to have an updated resume anyway, this way no matter what happens, will be on top of it.

Yes, for 5 months there wont be any students going in, and who knows how long this will last. But we must always be of good cheer, as the good Lord closes one door and opens another better one. Always, keep the good faith, and fight the good fight!

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
Bristol, CT

PeteC2

MVM

said by jackisback:

In 45 years or so during the program, this is the 1st time this has ever happened.

The worst part is the waiting and no answer. Its always a good habit to have an updated resume anyway, this way no matter what happens, will be on top of it.

Yes, for 5 months there wont be any students going in, and who knows how long this will last. But we must always be of good cheer, as the good Lord closes one door and opens another better one. Always, keep the good faith, and fight the good fight!

Well, I am at the point where I really am not much motivated to go into a different line of work...and I have at least a fairly strong likelyhood of being rehired when/if this blows over, so I will at least initially take a wait and see approach...but 'ya never know!

We can cruise through a few months of unemployment...not in high style, but the bills will all get paid. If it goes past June? That's another story.
amtathamflag
join:2013-04-19
Flagstaff, AZ

amtathamflag

My shoes are off and I would like to get in on this conversation. I know it's old and stale, but I just got a call from the HR director at the contractor's office I was laid off from in early Feb. and they want to know if I want to come back to work May 1. Anyone else get a call like this? Do you know about the funding for JC? Is it stable? I got a couple of job offers that could be coming in over the next couple of weeks and would like any feedback you are willing to give me to help make the best decision for me.

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium Member
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi

rfhar to PeteC2

Premium Member

to PeteC2
I think that you put this in the wrong forum and I can not tell from it's contents where to suggest moving it.

rewron
Premium Member
join:2005-11-18
SW PA

rewron

Premium Member

I think he's referencing PeteC2's original post.