uniqs

msmisfit
join:2004-09-13
Atlanta, GA
ARRIS SB6121
Netgear WNDR3800

msmisfit

Netgear 3800 settings question...

For weeks my Comodo firewall has been recording *blocked* System 32\svc.host.exe UDP packets from the router IP to my laptop IP every 2 or 3 SECONDS.

Is this someone pounding my router for admission, or is it because I'm too stupid and haven't set up my router properly? It is relatively new and I haven't changed anything on it except the SSID and password when installed.

Can someone tell this layman what is happening here, and where I go to find out how to stop it? TIA... for any help.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

Look at the firewall logs, and check what the IP is. Is it yours, or? If it's not yours, do a whois search.

msmisfit
Atlanta, GA
ARRIS SB6121
Netgear WNDR3800

msmisfit

The Comodo firewall is showing my router's IP as the source IP, that's what I don't understand. On my old Sygate firewall I would see source IP's that I could back trace, as you are suggesting.

That's why I was wondering if there is some setting in the router or in Win7 creating these UDP requests, that I don't have set correctly. Thanks for the response.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

It sounds like Comodo is allowing it as a trusted source, instead of Internet segregation only. To be honest, I've found Comodo leaked a lot in the past. I use ZA for a SW FW.

Have you set the router to DHCP? I use a 10.x.x.xx for my router, and not the standard, out of the box setting.

msmisfit
Atlanta, GA

msmisfit

Yes, I believe DHCP is required by my ISP, Charter Cable.

I'll take a look at Zone Alarm and see if I might understand it a little better. Thanks...