Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil

Re: I'm on a Budget of 500 Bucks and looking for a gaming laptop

You're going to be severely hadicapped dude, on all those laptops you posted. Yeah, you could probably get by on low settings, but if you're seeking gaming why limit yourself?

Decent gaming laptops are going to set you back $1,000.00 easily. I wouldn't even consider a $500 laptop for any kind of gaming.

It's either save the money and buy something you'll be happy with, or build a desktop for $600.00 that can play most anything.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

I agree, but that is the budget we have for 3 computers [my wife aint budging, she is as stubborn as I am at times;)].
The boys play stuff like minecraft, league of legends, team fortress 2, left for dead, DDO [dungeon and Dragons online].

They are 14 now, so in another year they can start working and saving money for:
Car, insurance, gas, condoms [I hope they don't need them, but it's better to be safe then sorry], new gaming rig.

I'm still out on the limb as to what I want to do, I know the parts that were suggested wil get me a better desktop, then laptop, for about the same cost. Except I'll have no OS except linux [unless I decide to stick with the builders version of Vista I have, then I'll have to call MS to get a new key [I think]].
But I'd rather go with win 8, just for kicks, but that will add some extra money to the build.

Or I could get the laptop, then get my butt to work part time[so I can be home when the kids are, run errands for the house]., then build a better desktop for gaming at a later date, when I have cash saved up.
Which is the way I may go.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Start browsing craigslist and the For Sale forum. You may be able to find gaming PCs that are a couple years old. Like i5-700s w/GTX 460s or something.
PinkyThePig
Premium Member
join:2011-05-02
Tempe, AZ

PinkyThePig to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

The boys play stuff like minecraft, league of legends, team fortress 2, left for dead, DDO [dungeon and Dragons online].

I just cannot emphasize enough that going for 3 laptops at 500 a pop is going to leave you with 3 computers whose maximum capabilities will barely be above watching youtube videos. The only possible way this would work is if you found some screaming deals on refurbs/used and even then your gaming would be limited to playing everything on low.

The only possible way I could see any of this working is going with a sort of hybrid setup. e.g. 1 desktop 1 laptop, 1 desktop 2 notebooks, but 500 a pop is really just equivalent to buying 4 wheels for your car that are actually wheels for an ATV. Sure, you'll have 4 wheels but they won't do what you want them to.

If anything you will want to come up with a different setup. Do they both need to take it to friends house at the same time? If no you could do 700 desktop and 800 laptop.

If you could save one purchase for later (such as buying yours later down the road) you could do two 750 laptops.

If they wont be playing much on the laptops while at friends (e.g. just watching cat videos) you could go with two 350 netbooks and a 700 desktop.

Another possible option would be getting them tablets (such as kindle fires for 270 a pop) and 1 or 2 desktops with the remaining 1000.

If at all possible desktops are so much more cost efficient than laptops. You get practically twice the power for the same price as a laptop.
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO

me1212

$500 would be enough for laptops that can play tf2 and minecraft, aswell as l4d. Not sure about lol I know nothing of it.
demir
Premium Member
join:2010-07-15
usa

demir

Premium Member

My phone can minecraft. This is a gaming PC --- let's set the bar higher than early 1990's graphics capabilities.
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO

me1212

The OP wants a pc that can play minecraft, I'm just saying for $500 he can get that.

Dude, minecraft has better graphics than early 1990's games I know I still play them.

cbrigante2
Wait til Next Year
Premium Member
join:2002-11-22
North Aurora, IL

cbrigante2

Premium Member

The $500 laptop builds from Toms Hardware can play BF3 at about 45 fps on high settings. I think it will run circles around Minecraft, but I was hoping for some of the opinions from the builders on here about that system.