Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Pollux7777

join:2010-02-16
Saint Paul, MN

Design your "ultimate" game...

Just a fun little hypothetical for you.

If you unlimited resources and expertise, what would your ultimate videogame be?

For me, it would either be a sandbox style Grand Theft Auto game, but instead of clunky 3rd person shooting it would be a highly realistic FPS. I love the open-ended'ness of GTA, but dislike the poor mechanics once the shooting starts, and the super-intelligent police who spawn from nowhere and are impossible to outrun once you reach too many stars. I'd make all the shooting take place in first-person, with realistic weapons and ballistics.

Basically I want to re-create the bank robbery scene from the movie "Heat" over and over and over....

My other perfect game would be an MMO, probably using the Warcraft IP, but with much improved graphics (ie skyrim +mod packs) and combine it with minecraft elements, so you can build your own house/castle/etc. I haven't fully fleshed out this idea but I think it would add an extra degree of immersion to an already addictive formula.

So, what would your perfect game look like?
--
Polluxx - LvL 90 Human Warrior - (US) Ravencrest

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN

Re: Design your "ultimate" game...

Haven't we done this before? Or is this the new 2013 versions of our games?

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4

said by Dissembled:

Haven't we done this before? Or is this the new 2013 versions of our games?

Many Many Many times. I think we settled on FPS MMOPRG set in space, with zombies, cowboys, werewolves that you can build cities and homes like Sim City. It would also require an Intel i14 to play and GTX 98493282 SLI'd cards to run it. And all the money would just go to Arch.

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to Pollux7777

Funny as hell dude

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to Pollux7777

Going by one of the games that I have liked forever:

Crafting.
Players can make things from linen napkins to full armor and weapons. They can cook simple fish stakes or complicated banquets.

Player housing:
Plots of land that players can buy and build a house on it. Once house is built then the player can decide if he wants to hire a vendor to sell goods for him.
The house can be part of a player built/guild built town, or a hermit shack out in the middle of no where.

No toon levels.
Instead you have skills. Weapon skills, defensive skills, magic skills, crafting skills.
Weapons and equipment would have bonuses on them.

I think my game would take place in an apocalyptic world. you'd have mutants, humans, aliens. Mode of transport would range from walking to flying.
range of weapons would be from fists to beam weapons.
You'd also have magic abilities, things like Ice, fire, wind, earth, maybe even ability to put up a shield to protect you from physical damage for a short while.

So in theory, you could have a mad max car chase, or a horse back race.
You can sail the open waters and fish to your hearts content.
Or go on raids of other player towns and loot them.
Or go crawling through dungeons for rare recipes and exotic ingredients to build more powerful weapons.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

TigerLord
Resident pentaxian
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8
reply to I AM

said by I AM:

And all the money would just go to TL.

Let us pray.

KingOfPants
Premium
join:2002-11-11
Canada
kudos:1
reply to Pollux7777

I had an this idea for a game for a while, wrote out design notes etc. Bought a book on programming then realized I didn't have the mind for programming. Ha.

The idea was a 4x post zombie apocalypse game. Turn based. Could play as survivors or undead. Different tec trees for each faction. Military, Religion, and Science for humans. For zombies, I think it was radiation, human remains, and can't recall the rest.

The name was going to be Cultercide. Based around creating or consuming culture points depending on faction. Would use the points for research, etc. There was another stat, Culture rating, though can't recall how that system worked, will have to look at those old notes.

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA
kudos:3
reply to Pollux7777

A real sequel to Crackdown, but with an actual change of environment. Ponying up a full game price on Crackdown 2 find out they re-sold us the first game with an add-on pack was just malarkey.

Multiplayer, stupid superhero powers, open sandbox...hard to take objection to it. Unfortunately, both Crackdown and the closest-runner-up Prototype seem to be dead franchises now. They had potential, but went to producers wanting to squeeze the existing IP dry rather than develop a new cash cow genre.

Josof

join:2010-10-23
Virginia Beach, VA
reply to Pollux7777

A futuristic based mmorpg. Skill based

It would be a hybrid Eve(with a lower learning curve) and classic 3rd person avatar land based mmo. Maybe like a more in depth Planetside with crafting and all the tropes of regualar mmo aside from pointless quest.

there wouldnt be limitations on acquiring skills but if you're a half-assed pilot you will be fodder for the players who devote their time to level up their flying skills.

same would go for the land based professions

there would be multiple factions and merchants/crafters/gatherers will all be important in trying to help your faction gain power

so if Eve/Wow/planetside/and an RTS had an orgy thats what my game would look like.

there would be no language barrier only private coms within a faction and you can sell trade with anyone at anytime.
--
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
reply to Pollux7777

I was going to say the Otherland... but seems like they're already working on that mmo... all that's missing is the technology to directly hook up to the game. Monitors and keyboards are becoming outdated.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19

I have not heard of any development for the otherland MMO in several years. I think that's a dead project.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth

Or... not. Off to Google. I should probably check in on Tad Williams more than once every two years.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC

Seems like they had a beta stress in December, so still alive!

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth

Last time I checked, it was a german-only site with some concepts and one or two screenshots of said concepts. It hadn't budged from that for a good three years. I just gave up checking on it.

Keep in mind that I finished the series right as the final book came out.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine

Yeah, I heard about it originally when I started reading the first book, but then never actually looked at it. I just remembered about it as I was posting here... Hopefully they'll be able to release something. Even if they come up with a tenth of what the book had, I'd be happy!