All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed
« How long until....Netflix »
This is a sub-selection from But how lossy?

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to MovieLover76

Re: But how lossy?

said by MovieLover76:

HDTV quality is what it is at the moment ATSC HDTV is a set standard, some providers like FiOS don't recompress it, some cable operators compress it really bad, hopefully for normal HDTV if they deployed H.265 video they'd keep the bit rate the same and increase the quality, this could help streaming sevices like netflix whose HD streaming is even worse.

TFA suggests that H.265 produces equivalent video to H.264 in 50% of the bandwidth. As we know, lossy codecs are highly dependent on perception.

That begs the question - how does H.265 work? What was removed to gain such compression? And is H.265 at 50% truly equivalent to H.264? When you work with compression tools you'll often see things like "DVD quality", "CD quality", and the results are never anywhere close to those things.

Perception is tricky. If the people who created H.265 want to look good on paper, they'll survey a bunch of non-technical people, sit them in front of a 27" HDTV, 10 feet away, and ask them if they can notice a difference or not.

The scariest thing I ever saw was a poll about the sound quality of Sirius satellite radio (sorry, I've long forgotten where it was, I think it was a car enthusiast forum). There were at least 100 response. 50% thought it was as good as CD quality. 5% thought it was BETTER than CD quality!
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.