Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3
reply to dnoyeB

Re: [Rant] Comcast Treats Long-Time Customers Like Garbage

said by dnoyeB:

Comcast lives in the past and still acts like we can't see the cheap prices they offer next door. They are somewhat like Apple. When the critical mass of competition arrives, it will be too late for them to be saved.

They know you can see the different prices, but the average Comcast subscriber may not know. And even still, Comcast doesn't care, because there is 0 incentive for them to provide a level playing field of service when some areas' competition has their top speeds at your entry level speeds.
--
"I drank what?" -Socrates

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Geno71

They have a management problem. They are of an old philosophy that suggest to do special treatment to get new business. They don't have much of a retention plan.

Plus, they give lost of power to phone reps. So if you happen to have a good rep in your area, then you will get better deals and tend to stay a customer. If you don't get good reps you will get the corporate line and standard bad treatment then you will not be a customer. That right there is a management problem.

Plus, if there is local competition you will get lower rates. Comcast lives in the past and still acts like we can't see the cheap prices they offer next door. They are somewhat like Apple. When the critical mass of competition arrives, it will be too late for them to be saved.
--
dnoyeB
"Then said I, Wisdom [is] better than strength: nevertheless the poor man's wisdom [is] despised, and his words are not heard. " Ecclesiastes 9:16

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4

1 edit
reply to DrDrew

excellent post DrDrew See Profile!

he didn't pay attention to the speed bumps he got...he only looked at the price since he may have thought and felt like the speeds were the same to him...

he may not know it too but he may have a defective or outdated modem to which may have affected his speeds in his other posts that's why he just can't get the satisfaction he's looking for.

DrDrew
So that others may surf.
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:12

2 edits

1 recommendation

reply to Geno71

said by Geno71:

The infrastructure upgrades in this area were done long ago and haven't been upgraded again since. At that time the bill went up maybe $4 or $5 a month I think, and I understood the reasoning for that and did not complain about it.

Maybe the outside cables and amps haven't been replaced in awhile...

At the very least the CMTS has been upgraded relatively recently to DOCSIS 3... not to mention the routers upstream of it and interconnects between them. In 11 years, it's probably 4-5 generations of gear that have been installed and replaced in the local headend and network.

With DOCSIS 3 comes increased maintenance requirements to keep those multiple channels clean and usable... but that's another topic.
said by Geno71:

Dr Drew: why do you ask? The modem is DocSis 3. As stated multiple times, I AM getting the amount of bandwidth allocated by the plan.

Actually you never stated you had a DOCSIS 3 modem on this thread and the only mention of modems from you I can find on other threads just says you have a Ubee modem with no markings other than MAC address and serial number: »Re: [Rant] Chicago Area HSI: Paying $70/mo for less than 30Mb/s

Your first post here says "Internet-Only (I am at the Performance 20-25 Mbps tier AFAICT -- no part of this involves a service level change), been a customer for a little more than 11 years now I think". AFAICT means "as far as I can tell". I take that to mean you're not sure what tier you have. Performance tier can be 20 mpbs down / 4 mpbs some reports of 24down/4up depending on the area, but the the tier should really be listed on your bill or account. The tier you're receiving shouldn't be a "AFAICT" issue.

The other part is the Performance tier wasn't 20 mbps down / 4 mbps up 11 years ago.
In 2012, Performance was upgraded to it's current speeds for most:
»Here's Comcast's Coming Speed, Pricing Lineup
In 2010 it was upgraded to 15 down / 2 up:
»Comcast Shaking Up Speed Tiers (Again)
In 2008 the Performance tier was 6 down / 1 up:
»We've Got Exclusive Details On New Comcast Speeds, Prices
In 2005 the Performance tier was 4mbps/384kbps:
»news.cnet.com/Comcast%20to%20rai···306.html
In between all the bigger upgrades, minor speed bumps have occured.

So from mid 2005 to today, 7 years, the Performance tier has gone from somewhere around 4/.384 to at least 20/4 if not slightly more. Seems like incremental, regular increases in performance to me.

If you want lower prices, downgrade to a lower tier. It'll still be faster than what you had 11 years ago or 5.
--
Two is one, one is none. If it's important, back it up... Somethimes 99.999% availability isn't even good enough.

medbuyer

reply to Geno71

said by Geno71:

John in SJ / asjamias: The infrastructure upgrades in this area were done long ago and haven't been upgraded again since. At that time the bill went up maybe $4 or $5 a month I think, and I understood the reasoning for that and did not complain about it.

In fact as they pay off all those facility costs (maintaining the same number of employees in the area basically), their overall costs likely go down a little bit for delivering service to existing areas where no further digging / installing / etc needs to be done. At worst it's probably a wash. Cost of wages rise VERY slightly for customer service people and the like (in fact avg worker wages have barely kept pace with inflation the last 20 years - look it up), while the cost of the facilities go down over time.

how do you know that the infrastructure hasnt been upgraded since? 11 years ago, there wasn't any Docsis 3.0.

you can never pay off facility costs as it needs maintenance done by qualified people or engineers that needs to get paid to be able to deliver the service you are subscribing to...

and just like what we do in manufacturing, we maintain machines to be able to keep it running and making parts, re-tooling them, upgrading etc. to be able to meet the demand for current and newer parts and that's not even including the engineers, electricians, machinists etc. that we need to pay to run those machines...

you run a small business, you should know that...not unless you dont run a business that doesnt run on any machines at all.

you're getting the speed that you are paying for. all your gripe is about fees which is the cost to run their business. if you don't like it, you can jump ship anytime.

what you think is unethical won't be able to pay or feed a family just like yours.

Geno71

join:2012-12-12
Antioch, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to ArrayList

John in SJ / asjamias: no, my comment that it does not cost Comcast (in this specific location) $3 extra every year to deliver the same level of service, is fundamentally correct. The infrastructure upgrades in this area were done long ago and haven't been upgraded again since. At that time the bill went up maybe $4 or $5 a month I think, and I understood the reasoning for that and did not complain about it.

In fact as they pay off all those facility costs (maintaining the same number of employees in the area basically), their overall costs likely go down a little bit for delivering service to existing areas where no further digging / installing / etc needs to be done. At worst it's probably a wash. Cost of wages rise VERY slightly for customer service people and the like (in fact avg worker wages have barely kept pace with inflation the last 20 years - look it up), while the cost of the facilities go down over time.

No one here addresses the core concern though, because you can't do so without using rationalizations like "it's just business" and "it's not illegal" and "you should just accept it and leave". I never said it was illegal or that other businesses don't have similar practices of annually boosting fees without some type of regular, incremental improvement to the service. I said it is unethical, and it is.

Dr Drew: why do you ask? The modem is DocSis 3. As stated multiple times, I AM getting the amount of bandwidth allocated by the plan. This is not a connectivity issue or a "I'm getting half of what they said I would get" issue. The upgrades I'm talking about are hypothetical / related to what Comcast is doing in Verizon markets. And no, now that Verizon has mysteriously abandoned one of the largest markets in the country, Comcast has no reason to do anything but continue screwing people who readily accept it as "normal".

I will be leaving sometime this spring, once I have more time to look into the options. I even thought about paying the $150/month or whatever it is to get their business speeds but let's be real... the same people will be answering the phones and chat lines. We're all just numbers, not people.

Hortnut: You may well be right about people in different regions getting different quality service. That seems to be the case (that the west coast customers claim a better experience), and it makes sense given there is more access to broadband providers out there / more choice. Comcast has to play ball and bill people ethically, not bait and switch on credits, etc. (Another thing no one has addressed because there is no excusing it...)

I'm glad you guys are happy (truly) with your level of service. I wish someone from Comcast had made an effort to value me as much as they evidently value you.

BTW I didn't realize there was a dedicated rants forum. I just categorized the message as rant so it would go to the right place, etc. If there's one place for rants and messages categorized as such aren't placed there that's on DSLRR. But sorry if the placement is confusing. As for Google people, not sure what you mean. Either someone comes in here and reads the OP and tries to comprehend or they don't, instead skimming around and trying to offer solutions based on partial information about the problem.

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to NetFixer

There is a Rants, Raves and Praise Forum on the Site, maybe it should have been moved to there at the onset.

You are aware of it, as are all of the regulars, but anyone coming to this thread via a Google or other search for the 1st time, may be a little confused as to the purpose of this site and its forums, in my opinion. And what this site has to offer.

»Rants, Raves, and Praise

But after reading the OP several times, saw that the Speed Issues had not been addressed.

Since this Forum is more about fixes, thought it time to offer steps for solution. OP had not posted anywhere else.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Evanston, IL
reply to pflog

well said.

Geno, you just need to leave Comcast if you don't think they provide a service worth paying the price they want for it.

Cablejim1087

join:2012-09-21
Bath, ME
reply to Geno71

If you have sent any correspondance to Ed Snider he doesnt own or run Comcast its Brian Roberts.

cferro

join:2003-07-27
Jersey City, NJ
reply to NetFixer

Some people will never be happy with anything.

NetFixer
From my cold dead hands
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to Johkal

said by Johkal:

I have personally & seen other members steer people from "Rants" to solutions.

In this case, the OP has stated that a solution has already been found. I guess that my libertarian philosophy just tells me that when someone explicitly says that they don't need or want help...
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

DrDrew
So that others may surf.
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:12
reply to Geno71

Does your modem look like this? Maybe in black?

Ubee U10C018

Which Ubee modem does yours look like?
»www.ubeeinteractive.com/products/cable

Can you post a screenshot from »192.168.100.1 ?

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:9

1 recommendation

reply to NetFixer

I have personally & seen other members steer people from "Rants" to solutions.

NetFixer
From my cold dead hands
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to Geno71

What's the problem here? Why are so many posters offering advice to the OP? The thread title clearly says [Rant]. Let the OP enjoy the opportunity to rant.

Personally I am looking forward to reading the upcoming [Rant] about the new WISP service.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

medbuyer

reply to JohnInSJ

said by JohnInSJ:

said by Geno71:

You guys are overlooking the fact that it does not cost Comcast one penny extra vs. last year or the year before to deliver my service.

This assumption ignores reality.

I wonder where he got that assumption...

cost of everything goes up, not down and is true for everything. simple economics

to the OP:

can you tell us what speed did you have back then 11 years when you started with Comcast?

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Geno71

I have come to the conclusion that different portions of Comcast's Territory yield different results as to Tech Support and/or problems with Infrastructure.

In my area - the Pacific NW, I have had relatively little problem with speeds and dealing with Tech Support. For that I am thankful. Most phone techs are local.

History- First in my area to get Cable Broadband with @Home, later taken over by ATTBI and then Comcast. First had it in 1999 or so. And been with Comcast in some shape or form since. First speed was 1.5. Not sure of the cost.

Chat Support - used once, and will never use it again. It is a waste of time and for the lazy in my opinion. Voice to voice is faster and one can "read" the other party on the line, much better.

Price - It does irritate me, that Comcast offers a special low initial price and then when promo is over, it price seems to jump fairly high. But depending upon what level of service one has, it just takes a call to get a lower price. It is a hassle, but part of the game.

Price Increases - Everyone increases the price without the benefit of any other additional services or speeds. A box of Kroger brand corn flakes is almost 50 cents more today than it was in July without better taste, more volume or anything else added. I do not like it, but have little other alternatives other than DSL, which in my area has its pluses and minuses. Take a gander at the article on the front page of this site today: »Time Warner Jacks Rates Up to 17.6% in Los Angeles "Time Warner Cable has informed Los Angeles area residents that they'll be seeing price hikes as high as 17.6% on broadband and television services."

Your Speeds and other performance complaints
- As to your complaint that you are paying for 20 or 25 and not getting it, what have you done to determine what you are actually getting the Speed you are paying for? Posted Signal Levels, Posted Speed Tests, Do you have the latest Modem to take advantage as to latest technology. Have you run the steps outlined in this FAQ and posted required information? -

»Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »How To Get Help! You may wish to start a new topic, referencing this thread. There are a lot of knowledgeable folks here that are willing to help. They, like me, are just simple users and not associated with Comcast, other than customers.

If I may suggest, based on you first post and subsequent posts, that you go back and address your Speed Complaints.

hth

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
San Jose, CA
reply to Geno71

said by Geno71:

You guys are overlooking the fact that it does not cost Comcast one penny extra vs. last year or the year before to deliver my service.

This assumption ignores reality.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to Geno71

It sucks, but this Economics 101: Supply and Demand.

If there is no competition in the area, they're under no obligation to incur the cost of upgrading the equipment to provide faster speeds. Comcast is a publicly traded company, and as such their allegiance lies with their shareholders, not with the average consumer. Again, it sucks, but that's just the nature of big business, sadly.
--
"I drank what?" -Socrates

Geno71

Antioch, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Geno71

Also Re: FiOS - I will not get that 50 Mbps (Comcast) service boost we've mentioned, because I live near Chicago, where Verizon sold their license to some podunk internet company, who never implemented FiOS and is now apparently going out of business.

Very convenient for Comcast, and pretty strange (don't you think) that Verizon would just walk away from such a hugely lucrative market? Hell, even if they price fixed the way they do with AT&T and Sprint for mobile data plans, they'd still stand to make a mint.

Geno71

Antioch, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 edits
reply to Geno71

Johkal: a couple of those edits were just for typos, and the big one was to clarify earlier in the post (because many people simply will stop reading after one or two paragraphs in our "MMS culture") what I was receiving as a service level. People seemed to think I was getting FiOS or a total of 4Mbps, so I clarified to avoid further problems.

BACK TO BASICS:

This is about:

1) Perpetually increasing prices without even periodic increases in service quality. Only 1 minor speed bump in the last 4 years and one other bump a few years prior to that -- but my rates were much lower then. I think around $49 if I remember right, so I didn't have a problem with it back then.

Today, stuck at the same bandwidth and paying $70+ (climbing yearly), I have a problem with it -- it's unethical.

2) Dishonest billing practices where they claim to "meet you half way" by giving you a one-time credit (which I was willing to live with), and then the very next month pull the underhanded CHARGE BACK for that same credited amount! And on top of that charging me a "late fee" because I paid the "credit adjusted monthly fee" instead of my regular "full" fee.

3) Customer Service agents who routinely dodged my questions about the simple math of how my bill got so screwed up, and ultimately "leaving me on 'chat hold'" instead of doing the right thing and helping me resolve what should've been a simple situation to address, since no service level changes were involved or anything like that.

Sorry guys but there is no rationalizing or excuse-making for any of this stuff with respect to someone who has been a loyal customer for over 10 years. It's a generational thing. Younger people find it acceptable when companies use shady billing practices because it's all they've ever known. Phone companies do it, insurance companies do it, internet companies do it and they all give you the run-around until you get tired of asking for help.

To some of you it's just "normal business". To those of us who remember not so long ago when customers were not treated with bait-and-switch-like tactics, double-speak from reps, and even reps who can't properly speak or understand English... it's not normal or acceptable.

All they have to do, is keep the increases down to a minimum, OR provide addition (incremental) service boosts every couple years, to keep someone like me happy. But they don't do that. They try to have their cake and eat it too.

FiOS: the deal IS... in markets where FiOS is starting up and competing with Comcast service levels, Comcast is taking the 25 Mbps customers (who pay around $72 like I do now), and giving them 50 Mbps upgrades at no extra cost (over time -- it may take a year or two for it to all shake out).

Of course, once they get that 50 Mbps I'm sure they'll start up with the $3-5 annual increases just like always and claim "it's necessary to pay for all these facility upgrades", but of course those upgrades happened a long time ago. Those customers getting a boost to 50 Mbps... it has nothing to do with a structural upgrade of Comcast's systems. They're simply "turning up the water pressure" and allowing customers to enjoy more bandwidth, that has been available in their area for many years (just not "turned on").

weescotsman

join:2011-10-02
Miami, FL
reply to Geno71

"So unfortunately I think the fellow who said "I'll be getting double speed soon" is incorrect"

you could have googled it to check

»www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407585,00.asp

The company said the new Internet options will be available "across many major markets," including Boston, Hartford, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, Wilmington, Baltimore, Washington, D.C., Richmond, and New Jersey.

No sure if anyone else can pitch in to confirm but i believe there was a post about it to confirm,

Racom

@comcast.net
reply to PeteC2

said by PeteC2:

Well, I do understand. Nobody likes paying an increase for anything...however, what commodities/services never go up in cost?....

Bandwidth and anything related to moving bits. People costs, like wages and benefits, went up an average of 3 percent in 2012 for US workers. I imagine Comcast employee increases by and large fell along that line, although Brian Roberts and the executive team were probably due for a bounce in 2012 total compensation after taking pay cuts the year prior.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:9
reply to Geno71

I'm not picking on you, but you assume we don't read your entire topic because portions of your topic isn't clear; hence why you edited your topic 4 times.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Geno71

You do know you pay the same as us. We have fios available yet your comcast costs the SAME as us. Fios came about because you stated fios changes the rules. Im pointing out it doesnt but this is why dios pricing was brought into it. as you can see fios is more expensive and doesnt change comcasts prices unlike what many like to think.

I have (what I believe to be) the Preferred level of service that in recent times was $69.95 until they jacked up the rate again this month. Apparently I have hope of getting a 2x bandwidth increase one day, but only when FiOS reaches my area and I Comcast perceives a threat.

»Post here: Blast 50/10 or 50/15 or Extreme 105/20 upgrades

No FiOS as yet, but you can bet if it gets here first I won't be waiting around to ask Comcast for a "free upgrade" that I should've gotten over the last 4 years as part of my fee increases.

They have huge capacity to increase everyone's bandwidth but won't do it until they face the prospect of a mass exodus in a particular market due to superior product like FiOS or Google Fiber.

Geno71

Antioch, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Geno71

You know it's a bit of an OT comment in my own thread but I have noticed everyone from customer service people to regular customers in places like this, routinely skip over the majority of details in every post then offer an opinion.

I have two people here accusing me of incorrectly naming FiOS prices and I never named any! lol I have no idea what FiOS prices are and I don't care. I brought FiOS up because it is in cities with FiOS service (apparently never coming to Chicago because Verizon was paid off to sell off their IL service / license to some no-name company, which is now conveniently going out of business).

So unfortunately I think the fellow who said "I'll be getting double speed soon" is incorrect. Nobody in Illinois is getting FiOS, therefore they are not going to get Comcast's 2x boost for existing tiers. Another unfair practice: charging $72 for 25mbps in one market and $72 for 50Mbps in other markets.

The bottom line is, Comcast has a regional monopoly in every big city it operates in, and that is how they get away with annual price increases, with no annual improvement in service quality. I am willing to bet most of you saying "no big deal" are too young to remember when increased costs = increased benefits.

No it's not illegal what Comcast is doing but is is unethical the degree to which they do it. I ask again, how many times adding $3 to the bill for the same 25Mbps, before it becomes "sketchy" as they say? $75 is going to be OK for you guys. What about $78 or $81? Too much? Should I expect more at $84?

You guys are overlooking the fact that it does not cost Comcast one penny extra vs. last year or the year before to deliver my service. In fact because of capital costs being paid off in my area over time it probably costs them LESS than it used to maintain and deliver the facilities that make this service possible.

People need to expect more for their money over time and not stay silent. Simple as that. Otherwise you're going to be a generation of people who get screwed by everyone from insurance to internet.

Nothing I'm suggesting here is unreasonable.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Geno71

Well, I do understand. Nobody likes paying an increase for anything...however, what commodities/services never go up in cost?

Yes, my internet service has risen in recent years...not as much by percentage as the cost of gas, postage stamps, most fresh produce, coffee, electricity to my house...I could go on and on, but you get the idea, right?

I think that it is anyone's right to decide that a price increase is beyond what they are willing to pay - no argument there, but it does not in any way constitute being treated badly as a customer - Long-Time or not.

I do not blindly ascribe to Comcast as some sort of benevolent super customer friendly entity, but I have sure seen worse!
--
Deeds, not words

medbuyer

reply to Geno71

I've had a speed bump in a year within my Biz starter contract for the same price I signed up for...

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
San Jose, CA
reply to Geno71

Good luck with your new broadband company. I truly hope you find one that meets your needs.

My comcast experience on business class has been far better than that, but then

* there is no promo discount period and
* I understand that prices rise over time

Last I checked, the gas they sell me at the "pump and go" isn't 3 times better at $3.50 a gallon than it was when they charged me $1.17 for it not that long ago.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to jeb9876

this is the promotion i get when i enter my bucks county address and its promo pricing

xxx Reservoir Rd, Quakertown PA 18951
Frequently Asked Questions

Why should I switch from dial-up?
What is fiber Internet?
What is satellite Internet?
What is DSL Internet?

Remove

Remove
Verizon
Verizon
View More Information
Best Price Guaranteed Verizon
Verizon
View More Information
Best Price Guaranteed
Packages FiOS
3Mbps/1Mbps FiOS
15Mbps/5Mbps
Service Charge $54.99/month $64.99/month
Initial Charge $69.99 $69.99
Specials

Included Features Modem
• Wireless Router
Home Networking
• Computer Installation
Modem
• Wireless Router
Home Networking
• Computer Installation
Modem
Wireless Router Included

Wireless Router Included
Home Networking
Computer Installation Included

Computer Installation Included
Service Charge $54.99/month $64.99/month
Initial Charge $69.99 $69.99

FAQ Best Price Guarantee Credit Card Guarantee Privacy/Security Terms Of Use Feedback
Verisign WhiteFence's Best Price Guarantee Powered by WhiteFence

BronsCon

join:2003-10-24
Walnut Creek, CA
reply to Geno71

Don't feel special, they treat *all* their customers like garbage.