join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to 34764170

Premium Member

to 34764170

Re: Netflix Super HD/Open Connect

said by 34764170:

said by Guspaz:

Windows 7 can only use the browser app, which is Microsoft VC-1, while the Windows 8 Metro app presumably uses h.264 (the same encoded files as all their STB streams).

Wonder how much they're getting from M$ to promote Win 8 like this.

Given they launched the platform on Silverlight, I'm guessing quite a bit. But I have to hand it to Netflix, their streaming platform is the best I've seen.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by BACONATOR26:

said by 34764170:

said by Guspaz:

Windows 7 can only use the browser app, which is Microsoft VC-1, while the Windows 8 Metro app presumably uses h.264 (the same encoded files as all their STB streams).

Wonder how much they're getting from M$ to promote Win 8 like this.

Given they launched the platform on Silverlight, I'm guessing quite a bit. But I have to hand it to Netflix, their streaming platform is the best I've seen.

Silverlight supports H.264. So there is something else going on here. The fact that they're only supporting an OS that essentially no one has as opposed to what everyone else has is pretty ridiculous. I don't use Windows so I personally couldn't care less but this is a pretty big FU to their Windows using customers.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to BACONATOR26

MVM

to BACONATOR26
said by BACONATOR26:

Or maybe you guys are paranoid, and it doesn't make sense for Netflix to support higher bitrates on the Silverlight client?

Think about it. Netflix has three encoding profiles, mobile, STB, and PC. The PC is a small minority among platforms; more Netflix users stream on the PS3 alone than the PC, and that's not taking into account all other mobile and STB devices.

SuperHD introduced three new bitrates. That means that they have to re-encode every single piece of HD content in their library to those three new bitrates (which takes time and money) and store the resulting extra tens (hundreds?) of terabytes of data. And they store their data on S3, where 100TB of content costs $78,000 a year just to store. The amount of SuperHD content on Netflix has been rapidly increasing as they transcode content, but what would YOU prioritize to come first? The STB h.264 profile that covers the vast majority of Netflix usage, or the PC VC-1 profile that covers a much smaller portion of users?

Face it, even if Netflix wanted to do SuperHD for the PC browser client, and even if they thought the extra cost for transcoding and storing was justified, they couldn't even do it until they finished transcoding everything for the STB profile.

Somehow, prudent business practice becomes an evil agenda where they've been bought off by Microsoft...
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by Guspaz:

said by BACONATOR26:

Or maybe you guys are paranoid, and it doesn't make sense for Netflix to support higher bitrates on the Silverlight client?

Think about it. Netflix has three encoding profiles, mobile, STB, and PC. The PC is a small minority among platforms; more Netflix users stream on the PS3 alone than the PC, and that's not taking into account all other mobile and STB devices.

SuperHD introduced three new bitrates. That means that they have to re-encode every single piece of HD content in their library to those three new bitrates (which takes time and money) and store the resulting extra tens (hundreds?) of terabytes of data. And they store their data on S3, where 100TB of content costs $78,000 a year just to store. The amount of SuperHD content on Netflix has been rapidly increasing as they transcode content, but what would YOU prioritize to come first? The STB h.264 profile that covers the vast majority of Netflix usage, or the PC VC-1 profile that covers a much smaller portion of users?

Face it, even if Netflix wanted to do SuperHD for the PC browser client, and even if they thought the extra cost for transcoding and storing was justified, they couldn't even do it until they finished transcoding everything for the STB profile.

Somehow, prudent business practice becomes an evil agenda where they've been bought off by Microsoft...

Ya, high bitrate content plays fine locally and for Blu-ray's but its magically an issue for the Netflix player. uh huh.

The STB encodings of the H.264 content could playback just fine on PCs.

It doesn't make sense to support a user base of something like 5% vs the other 95% of the user base for Windows.
vikingisson
join:2010-01-22
Mississauga, ON

vikingisson

I don't know how many of the "facts" are true or just speculation but in my house 100% of the Netflix users are on a pc browser. It won't be the first time a company has abandoned a platform and lost me as a client.