uniqs
share rss forum feed

mdaddyrabbit
Premium
join:2004-02-05
Clinton, NC
kudos:2

When will we upgrade to faster speed

I am in Clinton NC, been at 10M 768Kbps for years. Files are growing bigger and bigger, takes forever to download some. If I call Centurylink/Embarq I get the same old dog and pony speech. Cant even get Prism TV not that I would want it.

Most of the time the 10M is only 6-7M and the 768K is 600K not worth the hassle to argue with support.

jchambers28

join:2007-05-12
Alma, AR

something needs to be done.

Hazy Arc

join:2006-04-10
Greenwood, SC
reply to mdaddyrabbit

Silence! You will take your 10Mbps and be happy with it. Upgrades? HA HA HA HA!

mdaddyrabbit
Premium
Clinton, NC
reply to mdaddyrabbit

Really annoying to watch the typical speeds for most continue to move up while I sit motionless for years. I am being punished because I am in a small market.

Hazy Arc

join:2006-04-10
Greenwood, SC

To be honest with you, while upgrades would be fantastic, I'd be happy just to attain the level of service I'm paying for already.

Boss302_1970

join:2009-12-11
reply to mdaddyrabbit

here its 3-5 down and 768 up and if it storms (thunder,lightning) i cant stay online thanks to overhead phone lines. Id even be happy if they could fix it so i could stay online during storms, but they don't care as long as the bill gets paid.

emig5m

join:2004-02-16
Columbia, NJ
reply to mdaddyrabbit

said by mdaddyrabbit:

Really annoying to watch the typical speeds for most continue to move up while I sit motionless for years. I am being punished because I am in a small market.

I hear ya there! What sucks is that I can't let my father use the net (he lives with me) because my connection can barely handle one user in 2013 let alone two people. I use Steam a lot to buy and download games (and demos to try), and also video streaming plus online gaming. Let two people do the same on an 8Mb connection with a 250Gb/limit monthly limit... isn't happening here. I really need at least 20Mb to let other people in the household use the net... (I would pay for highest speed available - I'd get 50Mb if I could....)

Another thing I hate is that I pay more for 8Mb then other companies charge for 50Mb!

emig5m

join:2004-02-16
Columbia, NJ
reply to Boss302_1970

said by Boss302_1970:

here its 3-5 down and 768 up and if it storms (thunder,lightning) i cant stay online thanks to overhead phone lines. Id even be happy if they could fix it so i could stay online during storms, but they don't care as long as the bill gets paid.

I used to have the same problem during rain. They found it to be a bad line with cracked insulation and moved me to another line (or so they say) and problem solved. Just throwing out an idea for ya....

They've also removed a bridge tap or something for me as well that was making my loop longer than it needed to be (so I could jump from 5Mb to 8). But damn... let's start getting rid of the ancient copper already!

Transmaster
Don't Blame Me I Voted For Bill and Opus

join:2001-06-20
Cheyenne, WY
reply to mdaddyrabbit

You have to understand Centurylink purchased the roadkill copper crap that nobody else wanted and will milk it for all it is worth; upgrades, har-de-har-har

Jammers

join:2009-01-15
Tillamook, OR

Join the crowd. I've been topped out at 10mb since early 2008. Not one speed increase since then and when i emailed and asked them if their were any upgrades in the future they said no.

codyyy

@embarqhsd.net
reply to mdaddyrabbit

i would be happy to get 10megs ive been stuck with 4megs for years. id also say centurylink really needs to get watch espn

mdaddyrabbit
Premium
Clinton, NC
reply to mdaddyrabbit

»www.speedtest.net/result/2485797781.png

ydoucare

join:2003-03-12
Lafayette, IN
reply to mdaddyrabbit

You could be stuck on 1.5/512

RadioDoc
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-05-11
La Grange, IL
reply to mdaddyrabbit

LOLZ...

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 5600 kbps 896 kbps
Line Attenuation 54.0 db 25.5 db
Noise Margin 9.1 db 10.0 db

And that's on a good day...the thing is running wide open. When it rains (which never happens in Naples, FL where this is) the downstream drops in half.

Here's what a real high speed Internet connection looks like:

Funny thing is that costs me less than what I'm paying for that mess in Florida. Once I get back down there this spring CenturyLink is out.