skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan to mromero

Premium Member

to mromero
Bout time...I'll off my iPad 4 in fleabay for a 128GB model. My 64 is always full. Just today I had to pull a couple of vids off to do the iOS update.

obeythelaw
Premium Member
join:2003-04-16
Warren, NJ

obeythelaw to mromero

Premium Member

to mromero
It's a $1000 for the cellular version! Count me out.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

Actually the price isn't that bad. Starting from the basic model, for $100 more you can add 16 Gb, making it have 32. Then for another $100, you can add 32 Gb making it have 64. Now for another $100 we can add 64 Gb bringing the total to 128. What doesn't make sense and is a total ripoff is paying $100 for 16 Gb of memory.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by robbin:

Actually the price isn't that bad. Starting from the basic model, for $100 more you can add 16 Gb, making it have 32. Then for another $100, you can add 32 Gb making it have 64. Now for another $100 we can add 64 Gb bringing the total to 128. What doesn't make sense and is a total ripoff is paying $100 for 16 Gb of memory.

Of course it's a ripoff, as the incremental increase in memory from 16, 32, 64, 128 is not an identical incremental increase of cost for Apple.

obeythelaw
Premium Member
join:2003-04-16
Warren, NJ

obeythelaw to mromero

Premium Member

to mromero
Or make a 16 or 31 gig and one with a slot for a micro sd card! Sorry, just had to say it!

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

That would be too easy.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to robbin

Premium Member

to robbin
My question is this:
Just what is the actual price difference to the drive manufacturer. How much does it cost them to make each size drive? I can't imagine the difference in cost isn't all that great.

1,000 bucks for a tablet is a tad pricey, for a mer mortal like myself.

1k will buy an ok/decent laptop, that will have more functionality then a tablet.
Zoder
join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL

Zoder

It's not an exact comparison but on Newegg, Sandisk SD flash has about $130 spread between 16 and 128 GB

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

1 recommendation

haroldo to Snakeoil

to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

My question is this:
Just what is the actual price difference to the drive manufacturer. How much does it cost them to make each size drive? I can't imagine the difference in cost isn't all that great....

Every consumer product sold is available in slightly different sizes, shapes packages, etc., to provide a varying level of price points.
Think Coca Cola...the soda is the exact same, but if you buy it in a 64 ounce pottle, a six pack, a 16 ounce bottle or a 12 ounce can from the vending machine, the price per ounce differs significantly.
All marketers want to offer products to the widest variety of consumers, such that each group pays as much as they want (for essentially the same commodity).
Hi test gasoline costs the dealer a few pennies more than regular, but at the pump they jack it up 30 cents a gallon, or more.
So, if Apple puts in a chip that costs them $20 more and charges $200 more for the unit...good for them! If the consumer buys it, they profit more...if not, they'll suffer, but it's their decision as to how they'll price the product.
A seat in Yankee Stadium costs more during the playoffs and World Series than it does during pre-season games...it's the same seat, but valued differently by the consumer.
Pricing is fun...Marketing 101 was my favorite course in college.
kaila
join:2000-10-11
Lincolnshire, IL

kaila to mromero

to mromero
I know Wall St. wouldn't favor it, but it would be great if Apple would keep the same price points, drop the 16GB version, and just go with 32, 64, 128GB increments.

haroldo
USA

2 edits

haroldo

said by kaila:

I know Wall St. wouldn't favor it, but it would be great if Apple would keep the same price points, drop the 16GB version, and just go with 32, 64, 128GB increments.

As it is, these products are flying out the door...why should they cut the price? Yeah, I know, you want to pay less...but why cheapen the product when the net result will be to hurt the owners and employees of the company? This isn't a charitable endeavor and the phenomenal profitability has allowed them attract the best talent and inefficiencies to produce each successive generation.

IMHO, they've done something (quite a lot) right over the years...so they should continue doing what they're doing...

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to Zoder

MVM

to Zoder
said by Zoder:

It's not an exact comparison but on Newegg, Sandisk SD flash has about $130 spread between 16 and 128 GB

At some point it may make sense to drop a model. Apple has done it before. If I recall correctly, shortly after the ZuneHD came out the iPod Touch went from 8GB to 32GB dropping inexplicably the 16GB model. The new iPod Touch has no 8GB or 16GB model,...

There may be a point where Apple might want to drop the entry level 16GB iPad in favor of a more trim 32, 64, 128GB lineup,....

Apple doesn't seem interested in budget products though. The iPad Mini isn't priced to compete with cheap ~$200 tablets like it or lump it. Which is why when I hear rumors of a cheaper iPhone coming along with some credible looking pix I don't think in terms of a budget (AKA cheap) product.

Its a natural progression to add large capacity to the iPad given that there are PC tablets already on the market with ~128GB mSATA SSD units likely running Intel Core i5 Ivy Bridge processors in the same ~$1000 price range.

haroldo
USA

haroldo

said by Octavean:

...There may be a point where Apple might want to drop the entry level 16GB iPad in favor of a more trim 32, 64, 128GB lineup,...

IMHO, if you're not interested in running a movie theater or television station, 16GB is plenty of space. I have 16gb on both iToys and it's more than enough (>100 apps, >2500 photos and a similar amount of songs...98% of which I've never listened to).
I have a dozen, or so, friends who I mentor (in all things tech) and never has space been an issue.
I hope they don't abandon this model, since for the average user, it's plenty of space (my first computer had a 200MB hard drive).

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium Member
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
·SONIC

bobrk to mromero

Premium Member

to mromero
Awesome move on Apple's part, even if none of US needs one, perhaps somebody else does.
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

I'd say it's pretty magical.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan to kaila

Premium Member

to kaila
Wall St. doesn't seem to get happy unless you post massive losses like Amazon did.
skeechan

1 edit

skeechan to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
Click for full size
I have single 1080P movies (typically concert videos) that even in MP4 tip the scales at 10+GB.

16GB ain't gonna get the job done.

Paul928
join:2000-05-06
Haverhill, MA

Paul928 to robbin

to robbin
Sorry but I feel the price is ridicules!!! for the price of this thing, I can pretty much get a Macbook Air, which would be far more functional than an iPad!....just my two cents!
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

I don't think it's ever been about the value proposition. At least not since the Woz days.

haroldo
USA

1 recommendation

haroldo

said by 67845017:

I don't think it's ever been about the value proposition...

It most certainly is.
No rational buyer would pay more than they think the product is worth.
Take this example...if a Windows computer cost $500 and a comparably spec-ed Apple computer cost $50 million, clearly no one would buy it. However, if the price differential were only a few hundred bucks, then the additional cost to buy the Apple computer (in return they'll get the perception of greater ease, reliability, etc.) is a value that the consumer is happy to pay for.
When you see lines around the block for people waiting (sometimes in the rain or cold) or when you see products sell out in a matter of hours or a day, or two, this means that the price charged is so attractive to so many people that they'll gladly exchange their money for the item.
Yeah, it's a bit pricey to some...but no one has a gun to their heads to make the purchase.
If it wasn't a value...it wouldn't sell. People buy products when they feel that the item they are acquiring is equal to or worth more to them than the amount they are spending.

If you feel that your daily budget for lunch is $15 and you have a choice between a $12 hamburger or a $40 hamburger...which will you buy?

Apple sells premium products that commands premium prices, but if they weren't priced properly...they wouldn't sell any.
The price (sorry to say) is right ...which is why they have $140 billion in the bank and dozens of former competitors no longer exist.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

Three words you said yourself . . . "No rational buyer"

haroldo
USA

1 recommendation

haroldo

said by 67845017:

Three words you said yourself . . . "No rational buyer"

...over a hundred million iPhones have been sold...they may be euphoric purchasers, but they're freely choosing to spend their hard earned money on this product (at the expense of other potential purchases...including leisure time pursuits).

I thought I'd ask, so I set up a related poll »[iPhone] Do you think the iPhone is a good "value"?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

That is like saying no rational buyer would buy a Porsche or BMW. Not everyone sees value in a Kia Rio or Honda Civic. Just because it has 4 wheels and bumpers doesn't mean it will give you the same experience. Personally I think a shoebox car with no "soul" is a complete waste of money while others would think a BMW a complete waste of money. Same goes for tech. I think a $500 crapbox from Dell is a complete waste of money, others look at a $2000 iMac and laugh out loud. One's rational buyer is another's irrational one.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned) to haroldo

to haroldo
I think we're ships passing in the night with regards to the word "value". We're both possibly right in our points, but it depends on how the word is being defined.

haroldo
USA

1 recommendation

haroldo

said by 67845017:

I think we're ships passing in the night with regards to the word "value". We're both possibly right in our points, but it depends on how the word is being defined.

Value is how the every one of the consumers defines it.
Some value time over money, some value convenience over money (so they'll "over pay")...it's the free choice of the consumer.
My point is...we can question the "value" of these high priced toys, but at the end of the day, the consumer is voting with their wallets/pocket books...and loudly saying that it is a good value.

RRedline
Rated R
Premium Member
join:2002-05-15
USA

RRedline to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
said by haroldo:

IMHO, if you're not interested in running a movie theater or television station, 16GB is plenty of space. I have 16gb on both iToys and it's more than enough (>100 apps, >2500 photos and a similar amount of songs...98% of which I've never listened to).
I have a dozen, or so, friends who I mentor (in all things tech) and never has space been an issue.
I hope they don't abandon this model, since for the average user, it's plenty of space (my first computer had a 200MB hard drive).

16 GB is not nearly enough space for many people. My music alone won't fit on a 32 GB model, let alone a 16 GB.

haroldo
USA

haroldo

said by RRedline:

....My music alone won't fit on a 32 GB model...

How many songs do you have (and, more importantly, how long would it take you to listen to all your songs)?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

1 edit

1 recommendation

skeechan

Premium Member

What to listen to..what to listen to
The question is, how do you know what you feel like listening to on any particular day? I have over 14K tracks in my library and while it would take some 39 days to listen to all of it, I may listen to Perfume one morning and AC/DC that afternoon.

16GB is a joke for a any device without an SD slot even with iTunes Match.