All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

tiger_scout
join:2010-02-20

tiger_scout

Bad chat support experience

My picture has been cutting out sometimes along with slow response with turning the channel. This is only happening on the tv/box in my room. I tried unplugging the SA box and reconnecting cables to no avail. So i figured id do the Optimum chat. She tells me to go to channel 900 and it gives an error 521 i believe then it goes blank. I give her the box serial number and she runs some test for a couple of minutes and she tells me the signal level is low. She tells me to tighten the cables so I unplug the box and re-tighten all the cables and now the box boots up to a screen that says advanced options aren't available and now I have No picture.

andrewc2
join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA

andrewc2

I'm not sure why this situation makes for a bad chat support experience, the support agent can't do much more than that. You likely need a tech to come out and determine why your levels are low. I'm guessing a phone support agent would have done similar steps.

jaa
Premium Member
join:2000-06-13

jaa to tiger_scout

Premium Member

to tiger_scout
She was just telling you the normal things - tighten cables, reboot - things you had already done.

Schedule a service call to get your signal fixed.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to tiger_scout

Premium Member

to tiger_scout
Maybe the box is bad. Did you ask about exchanging it for another one? Or, as mentioned, maybe you need a tech visit. Chat/phone reps can't fix everything.

Edit: he says this is only happening on the one box in his room, FWI.

tiger_scout

tiger_scout

The problem is she made it worse. If I didnt listen to her I would still be watching tv.
KeyLogger
join:2007-08-08

KeyLogger to tiger_scout

to tiger_scout
try to use a knife to "polish" the middle copper wire, disconnect both end of the cable before try, to avoid short circuit.

don't do it, i don't even what i am talking about, too tired, goodnight~~~

jaa
Premium Member

jaa to tiger_scout

Premium Member

to tiger_scout
said by tiger_scout:

The problem is she made it worse. If I didnt listen to her I would still be watching tv.

Made it worse by having you remove and reconnect the cable, and reboot the box??

In the future just call tech support for a visit. If the tell you to reboot the box tell them last time that made it worse, and please just send a tech out to reboot it.
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt to tiger_scout

to tiger_scout
While the tech didn't ask you to reboot the box, which is what caused the problem, I'm sure it was the next step. I'd recommend doing whatever troubleshooting you can, including replacing the box (if non-DVR) and any splitter that may be in the room. If you have another coax cable you can try that too, in case. If you don't want to or can't, you can always ask for a tech visit.

bad
@optonline.net

bad to tiger_scout

Anon

to tiger_scout
Could be a bad splitter, bad cable, or bad box. (If your box is on a -7 dB output, that could explain why the other boxes don't have a problem.) If you don't have the skills to diagnose the problem, schedule a tech visit.
dm145
join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

dm145 to tiger_scout

to tiger_scout
said by tiger_scout:

how so
you did the exact same thing before calling
box was on way out
get new box
SL83
join:2005-05-28
Oceanside, NY

SL83 to tiger_scout

to tiger_scout
Hi guys,

How to cablevision?

tiger_scout

1 edit

tiger_scout

He was here but I'm not sure what he did I cant read his writing. It looks like, 3 pole Rg 11 drop to house. I guess the line outside. I wonder why it didn't affect my other tv/box?
tiger_scout

tiger_scout to dm145

to dm145
quote:
how so
you did the exact same thing before calling
box was on way out
get new box
Box wasn't the problem. I did the exact same thing but she didn't. She ran a 'test' which I have no idea what it was or what it did to the box to make the picture completely go out.
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt

said by tiger_scout:

Box wasn't the problem. I did the exact same thing but she didn't. She ran a 'test' which I have no idea what it was or what it did to the box to make the picture completely go out.

Polled levels on the box & all equipment in the house. Probably sent a hit to the box, which would update authorizations (and, maybe a refresh on the account itself). The reboot was what never recovered. It's possible that one of the connecters that was adjusted, then the boot-up couldn't complete. It sounds like the outside wiring improved the signal and then the box was able to boot.

jaa
Premium Member

jaa to tiger_scout

Premium Member

to tiger_scout
Good field tech experience?

tiger_scout

tiger_scout

said by jaa:

Good field tech experience?

I wasnt home but I guess so if he fixed it.

aannoonn
@optonline.net

aannoonn to tiger_scout

Anon

to tiger_scout
said by tiger_scout:

I wonder why it didn't affect my other tv/box?

What type of splitter do you have, and which lines are hooked up to which ports?