how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

simiglen

join:2001-04-30
Simi Valley, CA

Replacing a Nikon D40x

I have had the D40x since 2007. It has been a great camera. In december we got hit with the shutter freezing problem. Instead of fixing we decided to upgrade. Now the issue is my wife (who is a graphic designer) feels the newer cameras are not as sharp as the D40x.

We bought a Canon T3i and she wasn't impressed. Yesterday we bought a Nikon D3200 an once again not impressed. We actually did side by side tests and were a little disappointed on both. We are now thinking of trying the D5100 and doing side by side tests again.

Is there a huge difference between the D40x ccd and say the newer cameras cmos?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY

Are you using the same lens on the D3200 as you did on the D40? Are any of the cameras set to do in-camera sharpening?

simiglen

join:2001-04-30
Simi Valley, CA

Actually using a newer lens on the 3100. Used the 18-55VR. The d40x had 18-55 (no VR).

No in camera sharpening on the d40x (that I know of).

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY
reply to simiglen

Unless the cameras are defective, sharpness is normally a function of optics but it's affected by exposure and overall contrast of the scene. It's possible that the old lens is simply sharper than the new ones. Why not post a couple of samples so we can compare?

SueS
Premium
join:2007-05-16
Macon, MO
kudos:2
reply to simiglen

If the newer cameras have more mega-pixels then the older camera, you need to downsize the new camera files to the size of the older camera files to make a real comparison. Also make sure the in-camera sharpening settings are all the same if shooting jpg.

Premium
join:2005-03-29
kudos:3
reply to simiglen

You might want to take a look here: »www.dxomark.com/index.php/Camera···3)/Nikon

DeathK
Premium
join:2002-06-16
Cincinnati, OH
reply to simiglen

The 18-55VR is as sharp or sharper than the previous versions.

I think the issue is you and your wife are pixel-peeping and trying to directly compare a 24 megapixel image with a 10 megapixel image at or close to the pixel level. Like Sue said you'd need to downsize the D3200 images to 10 megapixels in order to make a real comparison. The D3200 should blow the D40x out of the water because it's pretty much a better camera in every way. The D3200's ability to resolve more detail due to it having nearly 2.5 times the resolution will translate into a sharper image when it's downsized.

You must also keep in mind that a higher megapixel count can and will push the resolution limits of various lenses. You may want to invest in some better glass over the kit lens. I think you'll be much happier with the results then.
--
Photos By Greg Strong

rcroning
D700 Rocks
Premium
join:2005-05-21
Winnipeg, MB
reply to simiglen

As others have noted, IQ is always primarily related to the optics. You can use the best camera body out there and get really bad quality images if the lens is not capable of delivering.

Rent or borrow some high end glass and test it on the D3200 or T3i. You will be surprised at the results. Both these bodies will yield exceptional IQ with the right optics.

Ralph.