share rss forum feed

ttiiggy
Premium
join:2001-03-27
Bozeman, MT

master cylinder leaking

1994 Chevrolet Pickup.
The master cylinder has cracked again.
This is the fourth one in less than 2 years.
They are made of some kind of plastic.

Is this a known issue?
Is it just the ones sold by O'Really auto parts or would the one from NAPA or CarQwest be just as bad?
If I try OEM, is it going to be any different?

I think I wish I could find one made out of metal. I probably won't want to pay for it then.
...be better than not trusting it, though.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

Is that where the line goes in? If yes then the line may be under a load or the line may be routed improperly.

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3
reply to ttiiggy

I have never run into such a repeat failure on one of those, and there are no metal ones available that I am aware of.

It is not very likely that the line could cause that issue, as it is plastic and would fail long before it could put that much load on the master.

Did you do the replacement yourself, or a shop? The one thing that comes to mind would be an improper assembly technique where the slave cylinder line is pinned to the master. If not done correctly, it could cause a crack in the area you noted.

Finally, I would never purchase parts from O'Reilly, or several of the other discount places. You get what you pay for is what I have found, so I would go with an AC Delco part, or alternatively Wagner or Dorman.

Vamp
5c077
Premium
join:2003-01-28
MD
kudos:1
reply to ttiiggy

Try searching a forum for your truck, maybe there is a vendor that sells aluminum ones, or a different vehicle that fits.

--
75/35 FIOS || MSN Msgr: scott001^gmail_com

ttiiggy
Premium
Bozeman, MT
reply to mattmag

I stopped at O'Really and NAPA and CarQwest today. Where else is there?
They ALL had the EXACT same thing in their own branded box for ~$60.
Chevrolet dealer said they would have to order one for ~$170.

I just got another warranty replacement from O'Really.
See how long this one lasts.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2

Be careful not to over-torque the line fitting. I have a feeling that's the problem.

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
NW Illinois
reply to ttiiggy

So, are you doing the replacement, or a shop? Make sure you support the cylinder properly when you drive in the retainer pin. I really think that is the only thing that can be going wrong with so many failures like that.

ttiiggy
Premium
Bozeman, MT

Click for full size
I am doing the replacement.

In the picture, there is still the white plastic dirt protector plug in the bottom of the outlet port.
The plastic tube that goes up in there has an 'O'-ring that seals around it.
There is a wider 'shoulder' on the tube that the o-ring comes down against. The tube has a groove in the side of the shoulder that a roll pin that goes crossways to the tube, through the hole in the body, slides past and just keeps the tube jammed up in there.
They give you a cotter pin to put through the roll pin to keep it from coming out.
If you remember ahead of time to push the roll pin into the first half of the hole in the body, just far enough to keep it in place, it is already lined up and straight and isn't so likely to get dropped as trying to get it in there after it is bolted onto the firewall.
I have always squeezed the roll pin into the hole with a pair of pliers instead of pounding it in with a hammer. I have tried to make sure that the pin is being pushed in straight and not getting cocked sideways with the pressure from the pliers.

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
NW Illinois

said by ttiiggy:

I have always squeezed the roll pin into the hole with a pair of pliers instead of pounding it in with a hammer. I have tried to make sure that the pin is being pushed in straight and not getting cocked sideways with the pressure from the pliers.

That's the best way to do it. In many cases, I would replace the master, line and slave cylinder as an assembly, but that was in the case of a failed cylinder, not broken. Maybe its just a run of bad castings? I don't know, but at least for now your aggravation is limited to time, and no cash being spent.

shdesigns