All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to Robleh

to Robleh

Re: Time for a stop sell on McNicoll POI?

Welcome to the ugly downside of cable internet.

How does VDSL fair in Toronto?
said by Webslinger:

said by TSI Andre:

We are also gearing up for Aggregated so that should help as well...

Are you able to provide me with a general or vague timeline for aggregated on McNicoll?

I mean I could jump ship to Start like others are, but I do kinda like how you guys stand up against Bell and Rogers for consumers and are generally responsive to network issues.

On the other hand, I don't like losing 10 Mbps during prime time.

Going with another TPIA won't guarantee you will get faster speeds, the congestion could be because TekSavvy's POI is overloaded or Rogers has oversubscribed some of their newer speeds.

Anyone reading the TekSavvy forums have a Rogers internet account that could give us a speed test during prime time?
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by TypeS:

Going with another TPIA won't guarantee you will get faster speeds, the congestion could be because TekSavvy's POI is overloaded or Rogers has oversubscribed some of their newer speeds.

That is a silly idea, Rogers "oversubscribing their newer speeds" since all practical networks are oversubscribed by design and necessity. Being able to get full speed only means that there is no congestion (at least not in your critical path) at that moment in time.

A small HSF node has ~150 customers and at 10Mbps each, that's already 1.5Gbps if everyone used the internet at the same time. Even if the cell had 12 QAMs (most only have 8), you still have 3:1 oversubscription. If you toss new speeds in, the oversubscription is likely closer to 7:1 for 12-QAM or 10:1 for 8-QAM nodes.

TSI has/had over 60k people on DSL. At an average speed of 5Mbps, that would require 300Gbps of interconnect with Bell but TSI only has ~30Gbps including near-future upgrades. That's 10:1 oversubscription at TSI's end.

vsavulian
Premium Member
join:2002-11-26
ON

vsavulian to TypeS

Premium Member

to TypeS
I'm in Richmond Hill with a dual setup, Teksavvy Extreme (28/1) and Rogers Express (25/2), both on DOCSIS 3 modems.

In the evening the Teksavvy line averages 18Mbps and the throughput graph looks like an EKG after a heart attack.

The Rogers line doesn't skip a beat with constant downloads in the 26.5Mbps range.