spc
Search similar:

uniqs
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray

You aren't paying a "price premium", whatever that is

Those who manage their use are getting a discounted rate.

Those of us in the States were to have such an opportunity, until Karl and Loud Howard shouted down TWC's proposal before the ink was dry, such that the 30% who use very little data, continue to pay higher rates and subsidize the data hogs.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

Re: You aren't paying a "price premium", whatever that

said by elray:

LOL, that's not a discounted rate. That's a rip off with the pathetic caps the service has. It is a price premium when it requires having 2 or 3 services from them costing you at least $60 or more for the triple play option.

There is no such thing as a data hog. There is no shortage of bits on the Internet.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning to elray

to elray
said by elray:

Those of us in the States were to have such an opportunity, until Karl and Loud Howard shouted down TWC's proposal before the ink was dry, such that the 30% who use very little data, continue to pay higher rates and subsidize the data hogs.

Not really - the cost differences between the different usage levels are negligible. This is about offering differentiated services in order to capture different spending level tolerances of consumers.
elray
Santa Monica, CA

elray to 34764170

to 34764170
said by 34764170:

said by elray:

LOL, that's not a discounted rate. That's a rip off with the pathetic caps the service has. It is a price premium when it requires having 2 or 3 services from them costing you at least $60 or more for the triple play option.

There is no such thing as a data hog. There is no shortage of bits on the Internet.

There most certainly are data hogs. Ask yourself why VMUSA had to throttle their $40 Unlimited Broadband2Go.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by elray:

There most certainly are data hogs. Ask yourself why VMUSA had to throttle their $40 Unlimited Broadband2Go.

capacity != amount of consumption. throttling does not stop people from downloading a lot.
elray
Santa Monica, CA

elray

said by 34764170:

capacity != amount of consumption. throttling does not stop people from downloading a lot.

Throttling does stop people from downloading a lot.
Moreso, it stops them from burdening the network when the rest of us want to use it.

When VMUSA announced their service, "StopTheCap" types were bragging that they intentionally downloaded 400GB before being capped, only to protest, and get uncapped anew. That consumption led to the recission of the unlimited terms for the rest of us, and brought the network to its knees in the interim.

I'm all for industry offering "high capacity" service with a volume discount where they can to those who want it, and indeed, that's what Bell is doing. But I don't want to pay more for my nominal use to underwrite someone else's consumption habits.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by elray:

Throttling does stop people from downloading a lot.

Yet I can still download a lot when throttled. I must be working magic.
said by elray:

I'm all for industry offering "high capacity" service with a volume discount where they can to those who want it, and indeed, that's what Bell is doing. But I don't want to pay more for my nominal use to underwrite someone else's consumption habits.

Except it isn't what Bell is doing or what other carries do. Their pricing has never been about what is right or fair for low volume users. They're ripping off the low volume users. Yet you are paying more and that will never change.

The only reason they're offering these options now is to crush their competition and stop people moving to their competition for reasonable options. They have been losing a lot of customers.