DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to ArthurS

to ArthurS

Re: HDMI cables

said by ArthurS:

The majority of electronic components have connectors soldered directly to the printed circuit board, the problem is that many of these manufacturers "cheap out" and hardly do anything to secure the connector to the chassis. So after a while, your stiff and expensive cable is actually causing stress on the soldered connections on the printed circuit board, eventually causing failure here. DAMHIK!

What is important is to find a cable with adequate strain relief, and at the same time don't do anything crazy to contort the cable into sharp angles that will eventually cause failure in the electronics and/or cable.

My new Sony KDL46HX750 TV has almost all of the key inputs except analogue inputs, parallel to the wall and perpendicular (at 90 degrees) to the screen, obviating the need for 90 degree bends in cables.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

said by DKS:

My new Sony KDL46HX750 TV has almost all of the key inputs except analogue inputs, parallel to the wall and perpendicular (at 90 degrees) to the screen, obviating the need for 90 degree bends in cables.

Almost all of the current TVs have switched to that orientation, mostly to allow the over-all display to be thinner. It is usually at the receiver end that you run into a problem.

printscreen
join:2003-11-01
Juana Diaz, PR

printscreen to DKS

to DKS
said by DKS:

It actually makes more sense to put the connectors facing down on a flat-screen TV since they are often hung on a wall or placed above the the other components in a cabinet or table. The cables and connectors are strained only by their own weight in the direction they are strongest and are not bent around and strained at right angles. My 5 year-old Vizio HDTV has the all connectors facing down.