1 edit

stev32k to natedj

Premium Member

to natedj

Re: Garage addition

said by natedj:

said by Msradell:

said by stev32k:

I just looked at this thread and am I right that the total square footage is about 787 and the price is about $74/sq ft?

$3000/747=$74? You need schooling!

I think he's referring to the cost to build the entire garage and not the drywall work .... at least that's the only way his math makes sense.

Yes, I was referring to the total cost of the garage. If I read the overall dimensions correctly on the drawing in the first post it said the garage is 27'-2" X 28'-2" (or 23' not sure) the total area under roof is about 787 Sq feet and the total cost $59,000. That makes it $74/sq ft. That seems kind of high even considering there are two floors. But maybe building costs are that much higher in the NE.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

said by stev32k:

Yes, I was referring the the total cost of the garage. If I read the overall dimensions correctly on the drawing in the first post it said the garage is 27'-2" X 28'-2" (or 23' not sure) the total area under roof is about 787 Sq feet and the total cost $59,000. That makes it $74/sq ft. That seems kind of high even considering there are two floors. But maybe building costs are that much higher in the NE.

The Boston area is about 200% higher cost of living then Mobile, AL so if $50/sq. ft. is average in your area then $150/sq. ft. is the same here. Typically new construction runs around $150/sq. ft. here but I cut lots of corners, paid vendors cash for discounts, did some work myself, etc. to get it down as much as I could.

stev32k
Premium Member
join:2000-04-27
Mobile, AL

stev32k

Premium Member

That's pretty amazing. I knew the building costs were higher, but didn't realize they were that much higher. My brother-in-law just had a 3-car, 30' X 35' garage built. It is brick veneer, finished inside, but not insulated and does not have storage space above. His total cost was a little under $35,000 or about $33/ sq ft.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

said by stev32k:

That's pretty amazing. I knew the building costs were higher, but didn't realize they were that much higher. My brother-in-law just had a 3-car, 30' X 35' garage built. It is brick veneer, finished inside, but not insulated and does not have storage space above. His total cost was a little under $35,000 or about $33/ sq ft.

Sooooo many factors go into new construction you can't compare them without it all. Foundation is a huge one. Most people can just have a slab poured and the foundation might run $3,000-5,000. Others like myself have a major slope to deal with so that same foundation is $25,000. Most people just use OSB sheathing and 2x4 framing but I used plywood and 2x6. A normal unconditioned garage might only need cheap windows but mine has energy star rated windows. With no room above the garage you don't need a firewall, stairs, etc. either. Different towns/states have different requirements on building. Most don't need a certified plot plan but mine did so add $1,500 right there. Most don't need a engineering stamp either so add another $1,500 there. Mine had demo costs to remove the old garage and dispose of the waste for $3,200. A new garage doesn't have that. My garage has 2 fire doors and 2 external doors. Most garages don't have that either. My garage has a 60amp subpanel and again most garages don't have that either. It's hard to compare your brother-in-law's garage to anyone else's without all the info.

stev32k
Premium Member
join:2000-04-27
Mobile, AL

1 recommendation

stev32k

Premium Member

You are right that construction costs cannot be compared except on an apples to apples basis. And it appears you have much more than just a place to keep your cars out of the weather and store the lawn mower.