uniqs

bcool
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25

1 edit

bcool to tberg

Premium Member

to tberg

Re: Gas company fraud or bona fide glitch?

said by tberg:

So you were undercharged for 2 months and equalled out on the next. You paid for what you got. They had a glitch remote-reading, but eventually corrected the problem.
I see no problem, especially if they are willing to work out a payment plan for the larger bill.
Yes, communication from the company would have been nice, but you aren't paying for something you didn't receive.
And, for switching between Heat Pump and gas, google "Economic Setpoint" and calculate that. That's the way you determine at what temp it's cheaper to use gas or electric.

1.) Of course what you say makes sense. But since this is my first experience with gas, I was not aware that they could or would make such adjustments. Nothing else has worked that way for me before.

2.) Since they are a regulated utility, I expect this is just as they say it is now that I have calmed down a bit more after dealing with a somewhat condescending customer service rep. and as you referred to, without so much as a word of explanation in the bill.

3.) You may not see a problem but how do I know what my actual usage was for each of the previous months? Well, no sense in beating a dead horse.

Thanks for your suggestion re: economic Setpoint.
comp
Premium Member
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA

comp

Premium Member

This happens all the time. Most companies dont read the meter every other month so there is always either a catch up or a catch down

bcool
Premium Member

bcool

Premium Member

Thanks for that. This is something I did not know. Your comment really helps in my letting this go for now....

AnonFTW
@reliablehosting.com

AnonFTW

Anon

said by bcool:

Thanks for that. This is something I did not know. Your comment really helps in my letting this go for now....

My power company does this. They only read the meter every so often and estimate usage in between. It's not unusual to see my ~$67 monthly bill double for a single month once a year as they catch up.

What irks me is that my gas company charges a $10 minimum fee. I only have gas heat, so if my heat isn't on, my usage is zero ... yet I still have to pay $10. Annoying as hell.

bcool
Premium Member

bcool

Premium Member

AnonFTW: What irks me is that my gas company charges a $10 minimum fee. I only have gas heat, so if my heat isn't on, my usage is zero ... yet I still have to pay $10. Annoying as hell.

Well then I should be grateful that my company allows for pay-as-you- use rate which does not come with a minimum monthly payment. I use gas only when my heat is needed which really is maybe for 4 months out of the year if that.