Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX
reply to bcool

Re: Gas company hanky panky or bona fide glitch?

$83-84/mo.

Are you ok with that?

bcool
Premium
join:2000-08-25
The Ozarks

2 edits
yes...the math is pretty easy. What I really was trying to express is a feeling of not really knowing objectively off a meter what usage was. I must rely on gas company's "final adjustments" before I know what's really going to come out of my pocket. You owe us this and the meter agrees. The next month, 'you owe us this' and the meter agrees. The third month something or someone spun the meter ahead whoa! and now we say you owe us this much!! Ok mr. gas company, here's my money...whatever you say as I wipe the drool from my chin.

Ok that is from emotions and not from reason. But that's how I felt.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
said by bcool:

yes...the math is pretty easy. What I really was trying to express is a feeling of not really knowing objectively off a meter what usage was. I must rely on gas company's "final adjustments" before I know what's really going to come out of my pocket. You owe us this and the meter agrees. The next month, 'you owe us this' and the meter agrees. The third month something or someone spun the meter ahead whoa! and now we say you owe us this much!! Ok mr. gas company, here's my money...whatever you say as I wipe the drool from my chin.

Ok that is from emotions and not from reason. But that's how I felt.

According to degree days for your area, your meter might have been correct. You don't have your exact location, nor when your bill specifically covered. So I just when wiht Springfield, Mo weather and the 16th-15th of each month for computing the degree days since you mentioned a "Dec-Jan" bill.

From Oct 16-Nov 15, there were 448.2 degree days. From Nov 16-Dec 15, there were 574.5 degree days. From Dec 16-Jan 15th, there were 943.8 degree days. NG prices rose from mid-Oct to mid-Nov, while there was a significant drop mid-Dec. This could explain why your first two bills were about the same despite most likely more gas consumption. And between mid-Dec and mid-Jan, degree days nearly doubled, resulting in a near doubling of gas usage. Depending on the specific weather where you are at (if you're outside of Springfiled), your temperature preference, if you were home for the holidays and therefor used more gas, etc it could account for slight differences beyond just doubling.

You're bill should have the amount of gas, either in therms or ccf that you used. I know my bill also lists, for reference, the approximate temperatures and degree days for the area. It will also say if the bill is for an estimated or actual reading. Even if it is actual, it still doesn't hurt to give it a sanity-check to make sure it makes sense. And of course compare the numbers on the bill to see if they match what your meter actually says. I had a misreading last spring where the meter reader manually read on dial spinning clockwise, but that dial spun counter clockwise when it increased. My bill ended up being nearly 100 therms off. It just took a quick call to straighten things out and get a new bill sent.