join:2007-11-16
Ontario
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

1 edit

SOLVED >>>>>>>Speed Cut in Half ?

Click for full size
Hi Rocca:

Been on the 30M/2 package for a few weeks now and anytime during day or peak times Speedtests have always shown around 33/2 without any issues. Yesterday I noticed speed was around 17/1M. So I rebooted the Modem DCM476, Laptop Router etc... Same results. Connect direct to Modem same. Did a Hard Reset (Reset Button) on modem same. Tried again this morning. Modem stats are solid. It is as if I was put on a 15/1 profile which I don't think exists ? The Upload is always around 1. Stats. attached. Can you check my profile ? Is there something going on in the Burlington Area. Lines still seem bonded.

Thanks

I will PM you my Details if needed.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23

Re: Speed Cut in Half ?

Can you PM me your details? Sounds like Cogeco adjusted your account profile for some reason. Thanks.

Guru

join:2008-10-01
kudos:2
reply to Shikomu

I am in the same boat! Noticed that yesterday. I was pulling 30/2 until last night when I chose to hard reset because browsing was slow! Now I get the exact same speeds as you.

This is actually funny!

Shikomu

Ontario
reply to rocca

Thanks Rocca PM sent.

Shikomu

Ontario
reply to Guru

Very weird. Its like they lost a channel or something. Before last night I was rock solid at 30/2.

Rocca has verified support is checking with Cogeco ifmy profile was changed and hopefully why ?

DrugTito

join:2013-01-17
canada

more and more looks like what bell was doing before, playing with customer profiles the way, they wanted.

they want you to cancel start and order service with cogeco?:D

Start Laurie
Premium
join:2011-09-09
London, ON
kudos:1

We've been able to confirm that Cogeco had an issue on their back end that they've since resolved. You may need to reboot your modem but your profile should be corrected. Thanks!

Shikomu

Ontario

I will reboot and test when I get home. Thanks for the update.

Guru

reply to Start Laurie

I am back up again. Thanks.

SK10H

join:2009-06-19
reply to Shikomu

Is Start having capacity issue in the red area during peak time, possibly due to the upgrade and new sign up? I am getting some packet loss. I used to have consistent 20-25ms ping to chicago ip, now it's best case 20ms, avg 40ms, worst case 60ms.
8/4 down/up channel bonding, signal look normal, after peak time, it's back to 35Mbps.

Guru

Can you hard reset your modem? Have you tried directly connected to modem and do speedtest?

abitbent

join:2004-04-23
Brantford, ON
Reviews:
·magicjack.com
·Start Communicat..
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to Shikomu

Issues in Brantford too...

minoe

join:2003-11-11
St George Brant, ON

+1 for Brantford issues.

We were off line for a day or so a few weeks ago. Ever since then, speed and ping has been all over the place.

Never a sign of congestion before then. Now it's every night.

madchikun

join:2004-07-18
Canada
reply to Shikomu

I notice the same here in Etobicoke. Hasn't been like this before.

minoe

St George Brant, ON

1 edit
reply to Shikomu

My guess is that the bastards have routed TPIA through a skinny pipe.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

Can you test without your router? That seems to be the problem in 95% of the cases. Many of the older/less expensive routers are great for 6Mbps DSL but they fall over around 12-15Mbps. The upload speed indicates you're on the correct profile, ie not the same problem Shikomu had (and subsequently resolved). Thanks.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to madchikun

said by madchikun:

I notice the same here in Etobicoke. Hasn't been like this before.

Can you test with »nexicom.speedtest.net? Thanks.

SK10H

join:2009-06-19
reply to Shikomu

This and the previous test run on the same machine behind Netgear WNR3500L 1Gbps hardwire connection. Game server ping steady at 20ms avg.

Shikomu

Ontario
reply to rocca

Tested last night and everything is back to 100%.

Thanks Rocca.

minoe

St George Brant, ON
reply to rocca

The ping is a little high but the speeds are good this morning.
This is tested with the same router as last nights test.

I'll check it again tonight.

Guru

If you want to ensure and find accurate result, eliminate the router and do a direct test from modem and if it requires, reset the modem and test again. If you keep on testing from the router, can't verify the problem.

abitbent

Brantford, ON
Reviews:
·magicjack.com
·Start Communicat..
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to Shikomu

Re: SOLVED >>>>>>>Speed Cut in Half ?

Things look like they are back to normal here in Brantford too. Although I can't remember my up speed. Think I'm capped at 1Mb

Shamans

join:2007-09-22

Same thing happened to me.

After restarting the modem, speeds are back to normal. (From 16/1 to 30/2)

abitbent

Brantford, ON
Reviews:
·magicjack.com
·Start Communicat..
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to Shikomu

Things have gone for a crap again in Brantford...

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

Traffic levels tonight are way higher than normal, not sure why the anomaly. In any case we have an upgrade on our interconnection tomorrow afternoon, should add relief for abnormal levels like this.

jasmo34

join:2008-03-20
London, ON
reply to abitbent

said by abitbent:

Are those results with your router removed from the loop, as a basic trouble-shooting step?

abitbent

Brantford, ON
Reviews:
·magicjack.com
·Start Communicat..
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by jasmo34:

said by abitbent:

Are those results with your router removed from the loop, as a basic trouble-shooting step?

That it is Jasmo.... same result.

silvercat

join:2007-11-07
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to rocca

said by rocca:

Traffic levels tonight are way higher than normal, not sure why the anomaly. In any case we have an upgrade on our interconnection tomorrow afternoon, should add relief for abnormal levels like this.

Possibly because it's the last day of the month and a lot of us are rushing to use as much of our allocated cap space as possible before the counters reset at midnight ?

Guru

Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by silvercat:

said by rocca:

Possibly because it's the last day of the month and a lot of us are rushing to use as much of our allocated cap space as possible before the counters reset at midnight ?

+1 ahah that seems to be the case. I pushed 50gb last night and 15gb today lol...I hit the limit. Syt and I still have 24 minutes left!

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

I think it's more than that, it's 20-30% across the board -- even our rural wireless customers were up by that margin tonight and none of them have quotas. Also two other ISP's we provide transit for and a handful of our colo customers saw visible jumps tonight. None of this impacted our transit network, ie we run well under capacity at all times, but I suspect whatever got released tonight likely would have had impacts on nodes that may be already teetering on congestion issues. Ie, abitbent posted 3Mbps on what looks to be a 28Mbps profile normally and that sort of drop isn't attributed to our interconnections.