dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY
kudos:1

$100 a year to USE MS Office - lol

»money.cnn.com/2013/01/29/technol···id=HP_LN

I have been using OpenOffice which works fine.

There are some power users that might use SOME of the Office features but 99% just use basics available in ANY word processor
--
Nothin' left to do but smile smile smile

Freddy
Premium
join:2005-05-17
Arlington, VA
kudos:2

I've been using Abi Word.

Freddy

natedj
Elected
Premium
join:2001-06-06
Columbia, SC
reply to dellsweig

I think this is a good deal, for the simple reason being, it lets you install on up to (5) computers. So basically you're paying $20 a year to have the latest MS office suite on a computer. This would be better if you can only pay $20 per PC in lieu of the $100 minimum for five.
--
Good judgement comes with experience...Experience comes after bad judgements

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY

said by natedj:

I think this is a good deal, for the simple reason being, it lets you install on up to (5) computers. So basically you're paying $20 a year to have the latest MS office suite on a computer. This would be better if you can only pay $20 per PC in lieu of the $100 minimum for five.

I have the out of the box version of Office 2011 installed and activated on 3 personal computers with no problem. Not sure what the EULA says but Its at least 2 installations allowed
--
Nothin' left to do but smile smile smile

OverBurn

join:2004-02-21
Greenwood, IN

1 recommendation

reply to dellsweig

I'll be using Office 2003 for the next decade or longer. Does all I need.

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
reply to dellsweig

It came on this computer.. but I would never pay for a subscription.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
reply to OverBurn

said by OverBurn:

Concur
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

said by OZO:

said by OverBurn:

Concur

I'll be using Office 2010 for a long time perhaps until my EOL and I for 1 will never subscribe to an Office Subscription --- NEVER!

jl747

join:2005-03-24
Mount Prospect, IL
reply to dellsweig

If you use Office 365 then you have save all your docs in the cloud.
You can not directly ave them to your computer.
You probably have to email yourself a copy then save it to your computer.

Plus. the box version only allows you to install one copy per PC per user.

See '»online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142···446.html'

I am going to use LibreOffice in the future.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
reply to mozerd

said by mozerd:

I'll be using Office 2010 for a long time perhaps until my EOL and I for 1 will never subscribe to an Office Subscription --- NEVER!

And now they perhaps realized that it's time to develop a new, incompatible Windows OS, that will not run old products on it. An put that OS on DRM infested (with UEFI/"Secure Boot") new computers. Making sure that those computers won't boot anything, except the "new and improved" OS. And that's why they're pushing UEFI with "Secure Boot" now...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
reply to OZO

said by OZO:

said by OverBurn:

Concur

Indeed, I never gave into the Ribbon BS Microsoft pushed into 2007 and newer versions. Now with Windows 8 they're really going over the cliff.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to dellsweig

PASS.
I've got Office 2000 SP3 on Windows XP SP3, and Office 2010 64-bit on Windows 7 64-bit.

Pirate515
Premium
join:2001-01-22
Brooklyn, NY
reply to dellsweig

said by dellsweig:

I have the out of the box version of Office 2011 installed and activated on 3 personal computers with no problem. Not sure what the EULA says but Its at least 2 installations allowed.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think retail version of Office 2010 allows up to 2 installations: one for a desktop and one for a laptop machine. Although I'm not sure how MS can tell apart desktop from laptop, so IMO it will activate up to 2 HWID's per product key online; after that you will get an error message and will have to use phone activation past that.

I also think that MS phone activation allows some leeway, as long as you are being reasonable. After all, per EULA terms you are allowed to install it on another machine as long as you remove/stop using it on the old machine. So if you call their activation hotline once every few months with a different HWID and answer that it's only installed on one machine, I'm sure that giving you a second set of numbers to activate won't be a problem. However, if that product key leaks online and they start getting hundreds of calls per day about the same product key, it will sure as hell get blacklisted.

By the way, Office 2011 refers to the Mac version. The previous PC version before the one that just came out was 2010.
--
Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies...
A MESSAGE to the RIAA and the MPAA: You shouldn't wound what you can't kill...

BillRoland
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL
kudos:3
reply to dellsweig

I don't much like the idea of subscription based software.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to natedj

Do you buy Office every year? I use Office for several years - paid $150 for a student version (3 licenses) - don't really need 5. In 2 years via the subscription and I have spent more than the student version I will use for 5+ years.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to BillRoland

said by BillRoland:

Nor do I,.....

I've got a TechNet subscription so I still have access to a number of different versions of MS Office,....

I actually don't need more then what is given for free with a Hotmail / Skydrive setup though and that is free,...

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

said by Octavean:

said by BillRoland:

I've got a TechNet subscription so I still have access to a number of different versions of MS Office,....

Isn't Technet only a yearly subscription too now, where it wasn't before? It seems Microsoft are aligning with other software makers to earn extra dollars, it is only a matter of time before the O/S is the same.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
reply to dellsweig

I have a cracked copy of office 2010 on a virtual Win7 starter machine. if I need Office 2010 that bad I will use it. Otherwise, Libreoffice for me.

free and can be installed on as many machines as I care to.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

said by David:

I have a cracked copy of office 2010 on a virtual Win7 starter machine. if I need Office 2010 that bad I will use it. Otherwise, Libreoffice for me.

free and can be installed on as many machines as I care to.

Why would you use a cracked copy?
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON
reply to dellsweig

Office 365 is Microsoft's answer to Google Docs, which isn't free for business or universities. Qualified educational users can buy a 4 year Office 365 license for $79.99, good for 2 machines. Cloud, like mobile computing, is here to stay. The days of desktop-centric apps are numbered. If you use Office on multiple computers at home or work and upgrade every other release, Office 365 is a better deal than Office 2010 and earlier.

One great feature is Office On Demand, a service that temporarily installs a full copy of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, or Publisher on any Windows 7 or 8 machine, lets you open or create documents on your cloud-based SkyDrive, and then deletes the app from the system after you close it. Office On Demand doesn't use up any of your five full installs.

Great review from PC Mag.

»www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2383731,00.asp
--
Logic requires one to deal with decisions that one's ego will not permit.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke.

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

I'd rather just have Office 2007 Portable.

Actually, I do.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to Dustyn

said by Dustyn:

Why would you use a cracked copy?

mainly just for reference... I don't use it frequently, it's mainly so I can support the office junkies that still use that crap. I have already told them as of this year june I won't be supporting MS office problems or applications anymore.

So the death knell for office for me comes in june of this year.
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA

1 edit
reply to dellsweig

I did a thread on this a while back. Home users really get a deal compared to Business users. It isn't a half bad deal for the home user, especially since they are raising the price of the perpetually licensed software. You basically get Office Pro, but instead of paying $350/2 (1 install now) installs, you pay $100 per year for 5. Since MS updates Office every 3 years a person who would buy Pro every three years comes out ahead. Way ahead if they have 3 or more devices to put it on. I typically buy the lowest price version that comes with Outlook and that has averaged around $250 every three years or so.

I'm not a big fan of subscription models, but they can be a great deal if you use a lot of the included software. The Adobe Creative Cloud is one example of a great deal if you use a lot of their software. I'm considering taking Microsoft up on their subscription. You can buy into it from Staples or just about anywhere. Home and Business, which is the edition I would buy if perpetually licensed, would cost $220 and it would only work on one PC. I can part with less than half that cash the first year and have software for 5 PCs. Very tempting.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

1 recommendation

I use open office and google docs.

My employer sells home keys for $1, but I didn't take them up on the offer.
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to dellsweig

I only want Word. Plus, I hate the ribbon (hate the ribbon in Windows 8 Explorer also....so fat, so cumbersome to use with way, way too many icons that are extremely dumb looking too instead of WORDS. I am not functionally illiterate like 75% of Americans are (hence the move from WORDS to icons).

Anyhow, I now use Open Office as I can't install my 3 copies of Works Suite with Word 2002 on Windows 8. If Microsoft still had Works Suite, I would have purchased the latest version even if that meant the ribbon in Word. I liked the other software in Works Suite. I don't need Office and I hate anything in the cloud.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

1 edit
reply to norwegian

said by norwegian:

said by Octavean:

said by BillRoland:

Isn't Technet only a yearly subscription too now, where it wasn't before? It seems Microsoft are aligning with other software makers to earn extra dollars, it is only a matter of time before the O/S is the same.

The software one would get from TechNet is not subscription based,....currently. So, the keys available to me now for the software I choose to download and use will still be available to me even if I do not renew my subscription.

There are restrictions naturally though.

As for Windows there will be a subscription version coming soon or so I hear. I posted a thread on it not too long ago.

***edit***

»Microsoft Rumored to Release Subscription-based Windows Blue

Edit to add link

***edit***

Actually the article more or less seems to be addressing a yearly OS update cycle for Windows starting some time in mid 2013.

norwegian
Premium
Outback
reply to Kramer

said by Kramer:

I did a thread on this a while back.

Yep - remember the discussion, but for me and Outlook, it was not worth the effort.

This was the topic from memory:
»[Info] Microsoft Office Users, Price Going Way Up
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA

I'm very much interested in the improvements MS has made with IMAP in Outlook. Apparently they really worked on it to make the experience better.

norwegian
Premium
Outback

Don't get me wrong, I want Outlook, but the costs involved were not allowing the benefits. I wonder if they will ever look at it as an option for the home user.

As for email retrieval, 2007 is giving me and has for some time problems at home with the user credentials, anything improved would be worth looking at.

For work, there seems to be a real issue with user authentication for 2007 and I've had serious SSL folder corruption with reports with it being over some sort of limit - clearing it fixed it. 2010 seems even more of a pain. I deleted the SSL folder contents info regarding images, PDFs, etc and 2010 spat the dummy, what a mess due to the way it works the "live user" - I can't remember the term for it right now, but cleaning the 2007 version against the 2010 version was easy, I'll never delete the contents of the stored Outlook SSL contents folder for 2010 ever again without more research.....what a headache it was.

Maybe that was just my trouble and others do not see it. An improvement would be appreciated.
--

AnonFTW

@reliablehosting.com
reply to dellsweig

You can still purchase a perpetual license for the very reasonable price of $139.99. Or choose to subscribe for a single month for $9.99. The $100 yearly fee nets you 20GB of Skydrive and 60 minutes of Skype credit too.