how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

drussel2

join:2002-11-05
Hayward, CA

[H/W] Which ISR G2?

I currently have an 1841 ISR, and am thinking of upgrading to a G2.

I'm thinking 1941/1941W or 2901.

Is the 1941W software upgradeable to 802.11ac or is that a hardware change in itself? I'm also "on the fence" about whether to combine the router and wireless in one device, or if I'm better off to just a "simple" two-port router, and keep my separate wireless access points.

The 2901 has VoIP capabilities, but this is for home use... can I really make practical use of that? I can't see populating my house with Cisco IP phones.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
--
There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

aryoba
Premium,MVM
join:2002-08-22
kudos:4

In case you are unaware, the G2 requires license for any IOS features that are not part of basic ones; while the G1 does not.

drussel2

Hayward, CA

Yes, The "basic" license is part of the initial cost, but I would also need the "security" license (which is permanent) for FW and VPN. I'm also thinking of the IPS license, but that's a subscription thing...

One of the factors I'm considering with upgrading to G2 is to get IOS 15.3 so I can use all the features of CCPExpress 2.7.

If I decide on the 2901 and want to play around with VoIP, I'll need a "comms" license too... so I'm thinking that's not going to happen.

I'm still working on getting pricing for all of this, so things may change.
--
There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to drussel2

As aryoba See Profile says, watch out for IOS 15.x licence games. From BASE goes to SEC (firewall, etc),
Unified Communications (VOIP), and DATA (MPLS, etc). Budget accordingly.

802.11ac guarenteed is going to be a physical hardware change, so if you want .11ac, I'd split the
wireless functionality from the main routing function, and stick with an existing G / N AP.

May not see populating your home with VOIP phones, but who knows what the future may bring?

My 00000010bits

Regards

drussel2

Hayward, CA

Thanks... That rules out the 1941W

Yes, who knows what the future may bring wrt VoIP... I suppose I could go for the 2901 and its higher throughput than the 1941, and add the comms license later as wanted. But, really, it seems hardware prices are always falling (and/or features/performance increase for the same price) so unless I can actually use the VoIP features of the 2901 now, I'm better off with the 1941 now and getting a VoIP one in a couple of years.

What is the "data" license for? I'm only interested in IP ( ICMP TCP UDP). I think "data" is for other stuff like SNA or SDLC etc. Is that right?
--

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to drussel2

Not a full listing, but should give you an idea...

MPLS, BFD, RSVP, L2VPN, L2TPv3, IP SLA... Best bet is to use feature navigator.

Regards