silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to elefante72

Premium Member

to elefante72

Re: Oh well.

I don't disagree with you. I hate the current laws and the RIAA. But if you follow the music industry blogs and comments, the point of 6 strikes isn't to sue people. It is to educate users. The fact remains that most people think they have the legal right to download as much music as they want as long as they don't upload or sell it. That is completely untrue and 6 strikes is meant to squash that. It costs the RIAA lots of money to sue people, and many of them don't pay. By agreeing to not suing for at least the first 6 strikes versus the first, we could actually see a substantial decrease in lawsuits.
NOVA_UAV_Guy
Premium Member
join:2012-12-14
Purcellville, VA

NOVA_UAV_Guy

Premium Member

said by silbaco:

The fact remains that most people think they have the legal right to download as much music as they want as long as they don't upload or sell it.

Well, considering that most lawsuits I'm aware are suing users for sharing music rather than simply downloading it and keeping it for themselves, I can see how most people could rationally come to the conclusion quoted above.

There is also the old "educational use" argument that could be made for just downloading music and listening to it which does indeed muddy the waters a bit. Of course, that's only plausible if one downloads, listens, and then immediately deletes before going off to make a purchase. I don't know that I've ever heard of anyone doing that, as there are far easier methods of just previewing a song.

laserman
@comcastbusiness.net

laserman to silbaco

Anon

to silbaco
Well what about the old recording people use to do with cassette recorders from radio stations, illegal? I don't think so, they get paid for their music and actually pay radio stations to play it, so why not record it? The world has changed to a more modern developed society, if the artist or actors don't want their stuff recorded then take it off the radio or tv, I bet then they have no sales.

joetaxpayer
I'M Here Till Thursday
join:2001-09-07
Sudbury, MA
552.8 23.8

joetaxpayer

said by laserman :

Well what about the old recording people use to do with cassette recorders from radio stations, illegal?

The recording wasn't illegal. Selling mixtapes recorded from one's record collection was where the issue started. It's the ability to share perfect digital copies that is driving this.
When I was younger, a 300baud modem would take hours to download anything. A bit older, and the 170MB (yes, megabyte) drive cost $300, so the idea of downloading a song and storing it made no sense. Now, a song is a fraction of a second to download. And the storage cost is zero. (about 1/40 cent per song. that's zero to me.)
« The morality cops
This is a sub-selection from Oh well.