cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

Petition

Has any of the "We the people..." petitions ever actually resulted in a real change? Every petition that I've seen responded too was some presidential staffer giving vague, ambiguous, non-committal responses at best. I understand such a response might be warranted for petitions such as building a Death Star, but even legitimate ones never result in anything. It's about as effective as the complaint box at your local store that never is opened.

Besides, even if the President agreed with the petition and wanted to effect change, there is little he could do aside from executive order for the DOJ not to prosecute. LoC falls under the legislative branch and ultimately would require Congress to change the law. And realistically, there are too many special interest groups that would prevent any changes to the law for that to happen.
NOVA_UAV_Guy
Premium Member
join:2012-12-14
Purcellville, VA

NOVA_UAV_Guy

Premium Member

said by cdru:

Besides, even if the President agreed with the petition and wanted to effect change, there is little he could do aside from executive order for the DOJ not to prosecute.

That would be about the only way he could do it. I suppose if he believes that he has the authority to ban assault rifles with an executive order, he would also likely believe he has the authority to do something here.