« Not interested, but maybe someone is.
This is a sub-selection from Geez!

wistlo
join:2003-01-04
New Orleans, LA

wistlo to spewak

to spewak

Re: Geez!

I agree. Google has put forward some wonderful technology and then just abandoned it. This may not be quite qualify as "evil" but it certainly is mercenary.

I still grieve over the discontinued Desktop Search, and wonder how life will be when I eventually move to a post XP desktop.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

XP? wow. I loved that OS, but I can't imagine still using it.
Expand your moderator at work

tc1uscg
join:2005-03-09
Gulfport, MS

tc1uscg to ArrayList

to ArrayList

Re: Geez!

XP is alive and well on MANY desktops in offices all over the place. Heck, some colleges are still using it as a client in Linux classes. Meaning you have to know old school key strokes and god for bid, drop to the command line (CLI for those in the know) to run commands. Nope, XP is to the corp world what Windows 98se was to the home back in the day. Stable, did the job and did I stay stable?

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

As a Linux user, Windows XP was my favorite MS operating system. Stable, customizable, extensible, and simple. Hated the theme but it was easy to install other themes to, like many Linux desktop environments. However, it does not support much for newer hardware, both due to lack of drivers and technical limitations. Most importantly, it is a security liability without a focus on security patches anymore. I work with Win7 when I have to(least of the MS post-XP evils, for when, for example I have to help someone troubleshoot MS Office) and stay on Linux, otherwise.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

the 64 bit version of XP was a horrible joke also

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

But most people ran 32-bit back then and 64-bit offered no real advantage with the hardware and software at the time, for the most part. Obviously, things have changed since then, but Windows XP came out 12 years ago.
« Not interested, but maybe someone is.
This is a sub-selection from Geez!