spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MURICA

join:2013-01-03

[HD] NHK World HD

Why doesn't Verizon and their "state of the art fiber optic network" carry NHK World HD on their channel lineup?

Their competitor, Time Warner Cable, carries the channel.

In addition to the news, it has a lot of fascinating documentaries and nature programming, as well as music and science programs.

Want to know the best thing about the channel? It's commercial free. When's the last time you saw a commercial free channel that wasn't a premium channel?

This is a glaring omission in Verizon's channel lineup imo.

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY
It's carried here in New York as one of Verizon's local subchannels but only in SD

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
reply to MURICA
said by MURICA:

Want to know the best thing about the channel? It's commercial free.

We have the SD flavor in the NYC area and it does advertise its other programs every 10 mins or so which is the same as a commercial.

MURICA

No it doesn't.

NHK World has a transition period at the end of its programs where it advertises some upcoming programs briefly and then presents a "WHAT'S NEXT" listing of the next three programs coming up on the channel.

There is nothing in the middle of the programs and no third party advertising.

In addition the channel has a single, stationary bug. There is no pop-up advertising either.

Ike1

join:2012-06-02
Newark, NJ
reply to MURICA
I believe TW only carries this channel in HD in NYC, and nowhere else or virtually nowhere else, because of the profusion of Japanese people here. Cable systems can localize their lineups more easily like that, if I'm not mistaken. If FiOS adds it then they have to add it everywhere, if I understand correctly, because of the way the network is set up.

I like NHK World, but let's face it, this channel does not have the potential to be hugely popular, so Verizon is not going to use its precious HD bandwidth for this. I doubt we'd even see BBC World News channel in HD and that's potentially a bit more popular, though still not a really big draw. Also a lot of it is probably up to contracts and corporate leverage. The BBC and NHK probably don't have a lot of that. They don't have a profusion of other channels to use as leverage with Verizon and cut a package deals on retransmission rates.

I'm grateful we can even get Al Jaz English (NYC/northern NJ via local broadcast subchannel) and BBC World in SD. When I had Cablevision, I couldn't get even BBC World without paying extra for some higher-level package of channels. And those subchannels carrying AJE or NHK? Forget it.

MURICA

said by Ike1:

I like NHK World, but let's face it, this channel does not have the potential to be hugely popular, so Verizon is not going to use its precious HD bandwidth for this. I doubt we'd even see BBC World News channel in HD and that's potentially a bit more popular, though still not a really big draw. Also a lot of it is probably up to contracts and corporate leverage. The BBC and NHK probably don't have a lot of that. They don't have a profusion of other channels to use as leverage with Verizon and cut a package deals on retransmission rates.

But we've already established that Verizon cares not about what is popular. They have no qualms with carrying the .TV channels. They just added TV Guide HD over much more highly requested adds like H2 HD.

Since when does Byron Allen have a lot of corporate leverage?

Why will Verizon use its "precious HD bandwidth" for the .TV crap and carrying a dozen redundant west coast HD feeds on east coast systems and vice-versa?

Surely a new channel carrying unique content would be of more interest than a redundant channel carrying everything that was just aired on a 3 hour delay. There is NO good reason to have a "Showtime West HD" and a "HBO West HD" carried on a New York system!

You shouldn't be grateful that you can get Al Jazeera on Verizon. They aren't carrying it because they want to. They are carrying it because they have to. Al Jazeera had to ninja their way onto a broadcast affiliate's space and use the FCC's "must carry" rules to get the channel on Verizon's system. Basically, Verizon had to have it shoved down their throat. Verizon isn't carrying Al Jazeera out of the goodness of their hearts.
Expand your moderator at work

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3
reply to Ike1

Re: [HD] NHK World HD

said by Ike1:

I believe TW only carries this channel in HD in NYC, and nowhere else or virtually nowhere else, because of the profusion of Japanese people here. Cable systems can localize their lineups more easily like that, if I'm not mistaken. If FiOS adds it then they have to add it everywhere, if I understand correctly, because of the way the network is set up.

I'm grateful we can even get Al Jaz English (NYC/northern NJ via local broadcast subchannel) and BBC World in SD. When I had Cablevision, I couldn't get even BBC World without paying extra for some higher-level package of channels. And those subchannels carrying AJE or NHK? Forget it.

I believe that TWC carries NHK World HD in Hawaii as well.

»www.oceanic.com/sites/default/fi···land.pdf
Expand your moderator at work

Webcobbler

@verizon.net
reply to MURICA

Re: [HD] NHK World HD

I do not have the TV Guide HD channel where I am. Even though they might say that it is comming sometime in Feb, according to VZ channel PDF.

I do not trust that even. I know some parts of the FiOS areas have this, but I guess we will get it when we get it, if we get it. where I live at least.

I would live H2 in HD, among DiY HD, etc. but we're never going to get anything , or any channel we want from FiOS. Period.

Maybe it's better to just have internet, no tv, and stream everything from Amazon or whomever nowadays. Don't gave to worry about movie package prices in teases, or RSN Fees etc.

Webcobbler

@verizon.net
reply to motorola870
Even Hawaii has better programming then us. With H2HD etc. They have more HD channels.