uniqs
share rss forum feed

LiVE4594
Something Like a Pimp
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Ironton, OH

Audio Streams Over Local Networks

I have 3 buildings in town that I have networked together.

What I want to do is send 6 audio streams uncompressed to each.

What I was thinking was either using shoutcast and doing 6 winamps on the main system (server) and then connecting with winamp on the others.

But then I got to thinking that maybe wowza media server might be a better option.

These are mission critical components, so I will be using ups and higer end equipment. I know I can buy boxes that will stream one to the other for about 1500 a piece but there has to be a cheaper way to do it and still get good quality.

Thoughts?
--
AJH Studios, LLC.
www.ajhstudios.com

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON

said by LiVE4594:

What I want to do is send 6 audio streams uncompressed to each.

I'd look at Dante virtual soundcards to do the job. You can try it for free to see if your network has the necessary bandwidth to support it:
»www.audinate.com/index.php?optio···e&id=235

LiVE4594
Something Like a Pimp
Premium
Ironton, OH

That's interesting, but I'm missing something. If I put that on the machines to stream it. How do I get my audio in to the machine?
--
AJH Studios, LLC.
www.ajhstudios.com

ArthurS
Premium
Hamilton, ON

The Dante virtual soundcard behaves just like any ASIO or Core Audio driver...it's as if your ethernet interface turns into a sound card. So plug in a USB or Firewire audio interface into your computer, and use a utility like SoundFlower on the Mac to route the signals accordingly.

LiVE4594
Something Like a Pimp
Premium
Ironton, OH

I've got a machine running windows 7 with 6 sound cards. Would that do it?

The network is a 100m wireless link.
--
AJH Studios, LLC.
www.ajhstudios.com

ArthurS
Premium
Hamilton, ON

2 edits

said by LiVE4594:

I've got a machine running windows 7 with 6 sound cards. Would that do it?

The network is a 100m wireless link.

If you can find a utility that routes audio from one sound card to another within the same computer, you should be fine. However you didn't describe your network earlier. Wireless link, as in wifi? If so, I wouldn't run any audio over such a connection unless it's heavily compressed and in a streaming format where latency is not an issue. Dante (and similar real time uncompressed audio protocols) needs a high QOS on the network, it does not work over wifi that well.

LiVE4594
Something Like a Pimp
Premium
Ironton, OH
reply to LiVE4594

When I say wifi, I don't mean a wireless router. I mean two point to point fixed wireless network devices.

I currently get 1-2ms pings and upwards of 200mbps transfer rates over it. Our biz has been running on it for a year or so now.
--
AJH Studios, LLC.
www.ajhstudios.com

ArthurS
Premium
Hamilton, ON

Ok, that might work. The nice thing about virtual soundcard is that you can try it for free. You just need to find a soundflower equivalent for windows.

LiVE4594
Something Like a Pimp
Premium
Ironton, OH

Ok. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks for the heads up.
--
AJH Studios, LLC.
www.ajhstudios.com

ArthurS
Premium
Hamilton, ON
reply to LiVE4594

This might be helpful in your quest:
»jackaudio.org/

But I'm a Mac guy, soundflower works great for me!

LiVE4594
Something Like a Pimp
Premium
Ironton, OH
reply to LiVE4594

Well this is going to work the way I want it to.

In a perfect world I could connect my 5-6 audio sources to my sender computer. It would encode it in to an mp3 or aac audio and the other computer would play those sources out 5-6 headphone jacks.

I've worked on this all day without a solution. Best sound I got was using winamp and shoutcast.
--
AJH Studios, LLC.
www.ajhstudios.com

LiVE4594
Something Like a Pimp
Premium
Ironton, OH
reply to LiVE4594

I know this is an old topic, but I thought youd like to know I ended up going with Barix streaming boxes.

I have 6 pairs over a wireless ptp network and aside from the occasional hiccup they work fine.

Thanks for the help on this.
--
AJH Studios, LLC.
www.ajhstudios.com