spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ph33d
join:2001-01-04
Niles, OH

ph33d

DSL won't sync over 640 Kbps

I'm not really sure what to do. I've tried rebooting/power cycling multiple times with no results. It seems like every time they work on the lines in my area, this is the result. That and at certain times during the day and night, my speed drops every father. Every time I call and ask whats going on they offer to send a tech to my house for $75 dollars an hour... that's not going to happen. What should I do?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by ph33d:

I'm not really sure what to do. I've tried rebooting/power cycling multiple times with no results. It seems like every time they work on the lines in my area, this is the result. That and at certain times during the day and night, my speed drops every father. Every time I call and ask whats going on they offer to send a tech to my house for $75 dollars an hour... that's not going to happen. What should I do?

Post your modem statistics. Of interest will be the SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio), attenuation, and sync rates. If your modem is capable, estimated MaxSync is also useful.
ph33d
Niles, OH

ph33d

Connection Speed 608 Kbps 512 Kbps
Line Attenuation 51.4 dB 29.0 dB
Noise Margin 10.9 dB 20.0 dB

I can't seem to find the snr anywhere on the modem. I know that the attenuation was never that high before, it used to be in the 30's.

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

wayjac

MVM

the snr is the noise margin

If the attenuation was never that high before I suggest you connect the the modem at the nid and recheck the attenuation

If the attenuation is lower with the modem connected at the nid

You may have problems with the inside telephone wiring
ph33d
Niles, OH

ph33d

Thanks for the replies,
the modem is actually already connected straight into the line coming in the house. I couldn't actually find the snr on the modem diagnostics.

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium Member
join:2001-07-23
Bristol, CT

DrStrange

Premium Member

SNR [signal-to-noise ratio] = Noise Margin
Your downstream noise margin is rather low.

If you can test at the test jack outside, you can determine whether or not there's a problem with the line coming into the house.
ph33d
Niles, OH

ph33d

I actually don't have a box outside, it's wired right into my basement. How would I check it from there?

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

wayjac

MVM

Ok.....you may not have a nid on a outside wall.
It's still a good move to disconnect the att wire pair from the wire pair that connects the wall jacks

Post some pictures of the wiring in the basement