share rss forum feed

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

Giganews less reliable, best alternative?

I posted something similar in the newsbin forums but there's more of an audience here...

Lately I'm starting to find that Giganews is horribly unreliable for the price I'm paying, either newer posts are removed for obvious reasons or 700+ day stuff is missing from common groups. This is not related to anti-piracy issues as many of these posts are not subject to DCMA.

I'd initially chalked this up to luck at the beginning of the month but recently I've been trying to get a lot of stuff that's a couple years old and it's either not available or I can't put any of it together. Since some of these downloads are 8 - 20 GB and I live in a country that's affected by monetary bandwidth caps, this is starting to cost more than it's worth...

Does anyone here use a high retention news server that's been perfectly reliable for them? Giganews is probably the most expensive of usenet providers to I'm open to all alternatives.

Thanks!

AndrewW

join:2009-03-07
Toronto, ON
kudos:1

1 recommendation

You will find that people are very reluctant in naming quality providers in fear(and not at all unwarranted) that they will become the next major target for takedowns.

So instead of naming a provider, I would suggest a strategy. If you're on Giganews Diamond plan you are paying about $420 a year. You are far better off buying 4 yearly subs for about $100 each from 4 different providers with different backends if you're concerned with completions. Better yet would be going with one yearly sub(you might want to stick to monthly because of rapidly changing provider reliability) and 7 or 8 block accounts again from different providers with different backends so to maximize your chance at having a completion. Here's a list of backends, »www.newsgroupservers.net/newsgro···esellers . From the list one choice you may want to make right off the bat would be to move from Giganews to Supernews. You can get 1 year of Supernews for $100 and then buy a bunch of block accounts from the others to use as fill servers when needed. The days of sticking with a single provider and expecting near perfection in terms of completion are over at least for now.

A side note concerning Giganews: I read a post from an individual representing copyright holders lavishing great praise on Giganews for their unswerving and extreme dedication to copyright protection. If the copyright holders are praising Giganews, you have to wonder if that's a provider who will be able to serve your Usenet needs in the future.

Bark

join:2006-03-19
Grand Junction, CO

said by AndrewW:

The days of sticking with a single provider and expecting near perfection in terms of completion are over at least for now.

Urbanriot is not willing to pay for more than one usenet provider and says so in the Newsbin forums.

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

1 edit
reply to AndrewW

said by AndrewW:

A side note concerning Giganews: I read a post from an individual representing copyright holders lavishing great praise on Giganews for their unswerving and extreme dedication to copyright protection. If the copyright holders are praising Giganews, you have to wonder if that's a provider who will be able to serve your Usenet needs in the future.

The problem is, the older items I'm searching for aren't DMCA takedown responses. I strongly feel that Giganews claim of high retention is bullshit as the posts are there, there's just too many missing to assemble binaries whereas a DMCA response would be a full out removal. It's basically 1/3 attempts are no good around the 1000+ mark.

Or in other words, Giganews might be blaming DMCA takedown requests for their own inability to provide the retention they claim.

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Bark

said by Bark:

said by AndrewW:

The days of sticking with a single provider and expecting near perfection in terms of completion are over at least for now.

Urbanriot is not willing to pay for more than one usenet provider and says so in the Newsbin forums.

Not true! The post you're referring to is now dated and that's not entirely what AndrewW was suggesting.

In the other forums, I was responding to the suggestion to pay for two usenet servers whereas some other blokes there, along with AndrewW here, has suggested block servers + an alternative usenet server so it's not exactly the same as paying for two full usenet servers.

When I made my original post in the other forum, I hadn't heard about the idea of block servers. I've learned a bit since then

But as of this post right here, I kind of like AndrewW's suggestion of going with a bunch of servers or an alternative fill server. Maybe even keeping Giganews but dropping to a cheaper plan...

AndrewW

join:2009-03-07
Toronto, ON
kudos:1
reply to urbanriot

Having missing blocks is where the block accounts acting as fill servers come to the rescue. The more you have from different providers/backends, the better your chance of having them filled and your incomplete becoming a complete.

I too was a Giganews Diamond customer who did not mind paying their price but when faced with a growing myriad of excuses and growing incompletes in the face of a laughable claim of 100% article completion, I decided to switch to multiple providers. I found completions went up and I was able to save some money in the process.

One of the things I did which did help (immensely at first) with the completions when I was with Giganews was designate their Euro servers (news-europe.giganews.com) as my primaries and their US servers as my backup. You may want to give that a shot if you haven't done so already.

MURICA

join:2013-01-03
reply to urbanriot

said by urbanriot:

said by AndrewW:

The problem is, the older items I'm searching for aren't DMCA takedown responses. I strongly feel that Giganews claim of high retention is bullshit as the posts are there, there's just too many missing to assemble binaries whereas a DMCA response would be a full out removal. It's basically 1/3 attempts are no good around the 1000+ mark.

Or in other words, Giganews might be blaming DMCA takedown requests for their own inability to provide the retention they claim.

I don't know what has happened to Giganews. They used to be the gold standard for completion (aside from DMCA takedowns which were obvious 90%+ removed articles).

Now anything older than 800 days it seems is missing lots of pieces on their servers, maybe 10-20%. Just enough to put it past the point of repairability as many did not generate PAR2 sets larger than 10%.

I had a Supernews sub and an Astraweb sub running side by side for a while back and on anything old Astraweb would have to fill in a bunch of pieces. There was a lot of stuff too broken to repair on Supernews.

I know Astraweb has a couple of sectors in their back retention for a few weeks where they shit the bed but aside from those areas they seem way more reliable than Giganews. Astraweb has heavy incompletion for a chunk of maybe 100-200 days... Giganews has heavy incompletion for anything past the 800 day mark (years).

Perhaps Giganews has lost so many subscribers to the cheaper offerings of Astraweb that they can no longer afford to maintain a reliable server farm.

ophelus

join:2004-01-11
Kansas City, MO
reply to urbanriot

Giganews/supernews was the gold standard.. if it has changed I haven't been paying attention Cause haven't used them for like 3-6 months

However, I will not that they started letting their retention slip before they kicked up a retention war with highwinds etc.

You would think with DMCA removals.. they'd have even more space on those hard drives.. these days

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to MURICA

said by MURICA:

Now anything older than 800 days it seems is missing lots of pieces on their servers, maybe 10-20%. Just enough to put it past the point of repairability as many did not generate PAR2 sets larger than 10%.

Exactly! You did a better job of explaining it than I did. I wonder why they hold onto massive amounts of broken data if it's so useless... maybe so they can falsely advertise a high retention?

Since my above post, I've gone the following route:

Highwinds - my ISP, Cogeco, offers this with my internet package
Supernews (a Giganews reseller)
Astraweb - used a click-deal on a site to get a year for $96

Basically the new addition is Astraweb and I've been able to snag piles of stuff I couldn't get before and I'm paying about the same as I was paying using just Giganews.

kiamsiamdala

join:2001-11-05
Utica, MI
reply to urbanriot

Tweaknews is what I'd recommend. Here's a site with a handy list of usenet providers, both US and Euro and their pricing. Personally, I'd take advantage of the trials first, to confirm whether they have the groups and completion that you are looking for specifically.

»www.ngprovider.com/euro-based-us···ders.php
--
'void planets roll regardless of desolation'

Urnso

join:2001-02-26
Cleveland, OH

For those that don't require 1500 days retention:

1) Stay away from The Big 8 backends. They are taking the brunt of this.

2) You are going to pay a little more for a little less to get what you want. You need to find a small private provider with low retention. 5-10 days is enough for new releases. Tip - go about 15-20 pages deep in Google the answers are right in front of you.

3) Automation, Automation, Automation! It is the key to managing your downloads. Monitor RSS feeds and setup up your own indexing site.

If you need the retention I agree with the guy above. You can use any EU server and have much better results than in the states. An EU block account is always a damn good backup.
--
It's hard to make something fool proof, when the fools already have a head start!

sfl0w

join:2010-07-20
Birmingham, AL
reply to urbanriot

My secret sauce has been Newshosting as my primary NSP and a european provider (will remain unnamed for obvious reasons) as my backup filler. Run away from Giganews, it's a money burner and thats it.

These are interesting times for Usenet, you have to be willing to experiment a little to find whats fits your needs best, but the options are out there.

harryrasul

join:2013-02-05
Jonesboro, GA

@AndewW ... I am unable to send you a PM for some reason. Is it possible for you to PM me or send me your mail id so I can send you some queries..not sure if I should be posting or talking about certain usenet servers openly...

Much Thanks..

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

said by harryrasul:

not sure if I should be posting or talking about certain usenet servers openly...

... more than we've already done?

As an update to my earliest post, since switching to the three I'm with now, I've had significantly less issues. Still a few issues with a few items that seem to be missing on Highwinds, Giganews and Astraweb, but I have so many less problems than before.

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX

On a bright side with this Huge usenet servers becoming useless issue Some of my content remaining Unamed has not got 1 dmca takedown notice and Sabnzbd Seems to get it before the takedown often p:)
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.