spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

NightOwl2

join:2012-03-19

Charter Internet Rate Increase

Received account notification: as of February 25th, 2013, rate increases from $49.99 to $54.99, for the 30 Mbps plan. Possibly to cover the *free* modem? For my limited usage, this is wayyy too high.

anon anon

@charter.com
said by NightOwl2:

Received account notification: as of February 25th, 2013, rate increases from $49.99 to $54.99, for the 30 Mbps plan. Possibly to cover the *free* modem? For my limited usage, this is wayyy too high.

You realize the old rate with a Charter modem was $65. $58 for 30 meg and $7 more the modem. So even if you had your own modem it was $58. And this is $3 LESS than that you say?

Also WHERE did you recieve this notification? I don't see it on my account anywhere. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot.

mmainprize

join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter
said by anon anon :

said by NightOwl2:

You realize the old rate with a Charter modem was $65. $58 for 30 meg and $7 more the modem. So even if you had your own modem it was $58. And this is $3 LESS than that you say?

Also WHERE did you recieve this notification? I don't see it on my account anywhere. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot.

Hey Anon, Who ever you are,
many have had internet for years with charter and have been able to get it for much less in the past with a two year contract and or triple play packages with are own modems. You do realize over the years the cost to deliver that higher speed has dropped many times. So why quote old prices. Back during that pricing Charter was complaining about the 1% that was using to much bandwidth and wanted to charge them more. So now it is just charge everyone more like we are all bandwidth hogs.

The point made here is not everyone wants $55 month internet. But it seems that Charter only wants the high end users (bandwidth hogs) because the low end users are getting screwed if they don't use it much at $55 Plus FEEs and Taxes in some areas.
I can see more customers dropping Charter internet because of this price, or Dropping TV faster then they would have and moving to TV over the internet to use waht they are paying for. Then we will see Charter change the rules again to rake in the cash even more.

Charter just set the price at $50 a month and now only a few months later is raising it 10%. For anyone that is still on the $29 a month price it will seem like gouging.

zed260
Premium
join:2011-11-11
Cleveland, TN
reply to NightOwl2
if you have a bundle with phone or tv etc you should look into charter bussnuss 55 dollars there equils 30 meg minus the caps

NightOwl2

reply to anon anon
I received a letter in the snail mail. It also pushed the Triple Play, with whole house DVR, for tvs I don't even own. I previously had 15 Mbps at $47.99 with my own modem and around $75 for extended cable, 2 up to 99. Canceled cable and upgraded to the 30 Mbps with Charter's included Docsis 3 Cisco modem, $49.99. It has been that price since June 2012.

I've been a customer since 2001, had several promos, and was told by direct forum, local office, phone agents, that promos were no longer available. There is also no option for a lower speed. And, other internet options are extremely limited in my area.

kherr
Premium
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL
reply to NightOwl2
I got a 2 year package one day before they stopped doing them ....
Expand your moderator at work

twoodward

join:2005-03-18
Onalaska, WI
reply to NightOwl2

Re: Charter Internet Rate Increase

I got mine yesterday. It's more a less the same thing I was paying before making the modem free. I would switch to a lower plan if they gave me 10Mbps at $30/month or something but doesn't look that is going to happen.

CenturyLink is also in my area but I have had really bad luck with their service so I guess i'll cough up the extra $5 a month for Charter.

NightOwl2

I know....despite the complaints, I have no other alternatives, so will have to stay with this plan.

NightOwl2

reply to zed260
Thanks, I only have internet. No need for charter business as I am nowhere near any data caps.

wingrider01

join:2006-07-25
Saint Louis, MO
reply to anon anon
said by anon anon :

said by NightOwl2:

read your bill it is printed there

ITICharlie1
Premium
join:2003-01-22
St. Louis MO
reply to NightOwl2
I just talked with a CS rep and had some questions since my promotional rate ends next month. I did ask if there was a price increase and was told if you had a standalone product, their will be a $5.00 increase starting in February.
--
Don't let my reality hinder your imagination!

anon anon

@charter.com
reply to wingrider01
said by wingrider01:

read your bill it is printed there

My bill says nothing about that. It mentions something about 8 channels going from analog to digital on on February 28th and an increase in the broadcast surcharge and the Digital Home package going from $63.99 to $65.99 but nothing on internet going up.

By the way I just checked at&t website. They just jacked up internet rates by $3 a month. They want $56 for 18 Mbps and $51 for 12 Mbps. They also add * A high-speed Internet equipment fee may apply

The only plan under $30 a month is 768 kbps and that's $28. 1.5 Mbps is $36, 3 Mbps is $41 and 6 Mbps is $46. And CHARTER is the bad guy? Who here is willing to drop down to 1.5 Mbps to save $19? And that's still $6 higher than the $30 tier people are clamoring for.

ITICharlie1
Premium
join:2003-01-22
St. Louis MO
I was just on the ATT website to compare and I cannot get DSL anymore, so it would have to be U-verse. With the promotion it would cost $44.95/ month for the 18Mbps tier ($56.00 after 12 months), plus a $99.00 charge installation charge, and a $100.00 equipment charge.
--
Don't let my reality hinder your imagination!

anon anon

@charter.com
reply to ITICharlie1

said by ITICharlie1:

I was just on the ATT website to compare and I cannot get DSL anymore, so it would have to be U-verse. With the promotion it would cost $44.95/ month for the 18Mbps tier ($56.00 after 12 months), plus a $99.00 charge installation charge, and a $100.00 equipment charge.

I read where it was $6 a month equipment charge. Either way say $100 over your one year promo comes out out be $8 a month.

mmainprize

Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to ITICharlie1
said by ITICharlie1:

Surprise surprise, All the big provider changing to a new price point at the same time. Even if for different speeds the new minimum price is $50+ a month. Dropping any low cost internet is the new trend it seems.

I can see where they are going from here. As more drop TV service they see you will need (Set and enforce the CAPS) the bigger $100 a month internet package (to get TV that way) and then you still will need to buy TV and so the industry gets another $50 to $100 out of you. So the industry is getting ready for the new pricing model and it is still going to be about the same cost as before even though it should cost much less doing things the new way, just like it does with phone service.

Lets hope we will be able to buy only the channels we want and not have to buy packages of hundreds of channels we don't watch or need.

NightOwl2

reply to anon anon
I never said Charter was the bad guy, but I still wish there were lower tiers. No plan to get At & T. No internet only plans in my area, everything requires phone service. When you add $5 more for internet, electric bill shooting up from deep freeze temps, auto gas increase of 15 cents per gallon in one week, and overtime being decreased, there's less money for other necessities.

scootwhoman

join:2013-02-14
reply to mmainprize
Bandwidth use is going up rapidly. and not just because people are streaming movies. Web pages are getting very busy, with applets running all over the page. Then there is the discrepancy between speed tests and actual downloads, where pinging a location gives multi-megabit per second speeds, but downloading anything will happen at kilobit per second speeds. More and more video is being recorded in high definition, so putting it on the web means a big slug of data being transferred every time someone views it.

The big push to get people to use Voice Over Internet Protocol is also generating more packet traffic, as copper networks are fighting for survival. There was a time when you could choose who would be your telephone provider, because the owners of the copper had to make their networks available to every phone company. (for a fee, I think.) Couldn't we do the same thing with a fiber network?

My bandwidth consumption is fairly small, as I spend a good portion of my on-line time reading. If I were charged a surcharge for high bandwidth consumption on top of a base fee of say, 20 dollars a month, I would feel I was getting a decent deal. Bankruptcy has probably put Charter into an aggressive revenue generation stance, but I think that they would be more successful by providing some flexibility to their pricing.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26

1 edit
reply to mmainprize
said by mmainprize:

said by anon anon :

said by NightOwl2:

Hey Anon, Who ever you are,
many have had internet for years with charter and have been able to get it for much less in the past with a two year contract and or triple play packages with are own modems. You do realize over the years the cost to deliver that higher speed has dropped many times. So why quote old prices. Back during that pricing Charter was complaining about the 1% that was using to much bandwidth and wanted to charge them more. So now it is just charge everyone more like we are all bandwidth hogs.

The point made here is not everyone wants $55 month internet. But it seems that Charter only wants the high end users (bandwidth hogs) because the low end users are getting screwed if they don't use it much at $55 Plus FEEs and Taxes in some areas.
I can see more customers dropping Charter internet because of this price, or Dropping TV faster then they would have and moving to TV over the internet to use waht they are paying for. Then we will see Charter change the rules again to rake in the cash even more.

Charter just set the price at $50 a month and now only a few months later is raising it 10%. For anyone that is still on the $29 a month price it will seem like gouging.

I can see more customers dropping Charter or not even signing up with them to begin with also even if means paying a stupid amount for some slow a** AT&T, Frontier, etc DSL just because those companies also know they and Charter have you in a malachi crunch, or, in other words, have you by the gonads!!
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

mmainprize

Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to scootwhoman

I agree, that's all true.
I think it is a mistake by Charter to not also have a lower tier.

I hope the FCC would push for more competition by opening up the fiber lines to more ISP's like they did with copper. It would be good for the customers.

They were trying to get High speed internet in remote areas but now at $50+ a month they are pricing many out of the internet market as it cost to much (for low end users) even if you can get it.

Tanker

join:2012-09-18
Montgomery, AL
FWIW, the Charter rep I talked to to said they were rolling out a 15/3 tier in March. They also said no plans to increase the speeds of other tiers. Again, FWIW.

Premium
join:2012-06-11
said by Tanker:

FWIW, the Charter rep I talked to to said they were rolling out a 15/3 tier in March.

Shocking....you mean Charter is LISTENING to customers once again?

Anyone have more details....this is what I want to hear. If the price is REASONABLE (30$ mo) I would stay with Charter.

If they do this and bring back social media ...I am willing to forgive and forget the stupid things that the new management initially have done.

If they do the right thing (rarely happens) I would stay

mmainprize

Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter
Current price for 15 meg is $48 a month, but we all got deals of $29 a month. But deals are over is what we have been told.

If they do add a lower speed of 15 megs to the current line up then we must think it will be less then the old normal full price of $48 since 30 meg is $50.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to anon anon
said by anon anon :

The only plan under $30 a month is 768 kbps and that's $28. 1.5 Mbps is $36, 3 Mbps is $41 and 6 Mbps is $46. And CHARTER is the bad guy? Who here is willing to drop down to 1.5 Mbps to save $19?

In the South S.F. Bay Area, Comcast is at $49.95 for their second lowest tier (their lowest is DSL speed). As my AT&T Pro (3008/512) service price went north of $30, I started shopping around. Worst case, I would have dropped back to their 1536/384 tier. But I was able to double the download for half the price with Sonic.net.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26

1 edit
reply to Tanker
said by Tanker:

FWIW, the Charter rep I talked to to said they were rolling out a 15/3 tier in March. They also said no plans to increase the speeds of other tiers. Again, FWIW.

Man!

That HUGE grain of salt I just swallowed with my coffee tasted like crap!!

Believe it when I see it. Would be nice if they left the upload at 4 though. Yep, never happy!!
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/