1 edit

cork1958 to mmainprize

Premium Member

to mmainprize

Re: Charter Internet Rate Increase

said by mmainprize:

said by anon anon :

said by NightOwl2:

Received account notification: as of February 25th, 2013, rate increases from $49.99 to $54.99, for the 30 Mbps plan. Possibly to cover the *free* modem? For my limited usage, this is wayyy too high.

You realize the old rate with a Charter modem was $65. $58 for 30 meg and $7 more the modem. So even if you had your own modem it was $58. And this is $3 LESS than that you say?

Also WHERE did you recieve this notification? I don't see it on my account anywhere. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot.

Hey Anon, Who ever you are,
many have had internet for years with charter and have been able to get it for much less in the past with a two year contract and or triple play packages with are own modems. You do realize over the years the cost to deliver that higher speed has dropped many times. So why quote old prices. Back during that pricing Charter was complaining about the 1% that was using to much bandwidth and wanted to charge them more. So now it is just charge everyone more like we are all bandwidth hogs.

The point made here is not everyone wants $55 month internet. But it seems that Charter only wants the high end users (bandwidth hogs) because the low end users are getting screwed if they don't use it much at $55 Plus FEEs and Taxes in some areas.
I can see more customers dropping Charter internet because of this price, or Dropping TV faster then they would have and moving to TV over the internet to use waht they are paying for. Then we will see Charter change the rules again to rake in the cash even more.

Charter just set the price at $50 a month and now only a few months later is raising it 10%. For anyone that is still on the $29 a month price it will seem like gouging.

I can see more customers dropping Charter or not even signing up with them to begin with also even if means paying a stupid amount for some slow a** AT&T, Frontier, etc DSL just because those companies also know they and Charter have you in a malachi crunch, or, in other words, have you by the gonads!!
Expand your moderator at work

mmainprize
join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI

mmainprize to scootwhoman

to scootwhoman

Re: Charter Internet Rate Increase

I agree, that's all true.
I think it is a mistake by Charter to not also have a lower tier.

I hope the FCC would push for more competition by opening up the fiber lines to more ISP's like they did with copper. It would be good for the customers.

They were trying to get High speed internet in remote areas but now at $50+ a month they are pricing many out of the internet market as it cost to much (for low end users) even if you can get it.
Tanker2
join:2012-09-18
Montgomery, AL

Tanker2

FWIW, the Charter rep I talked to to said they were rolling out a 15/3 tier in March. They also said no plans to increase the speeds of other tiers. Again, FWIW.
15444104 (banned)
join:2012-06-11

15444104 (banned)

said by Tanker2:

FWIW, the Charter rep I talked to to said they were rolling out a 15/3 tier in March.

Shocking....you mean Charter is LISTENING to customers once again?

Anyone have more details....this is what I want to hear. If the price is REASONABLE (30$ mo) I would stay with Charter.

If they do this and bring back social media ...I am willing to forgive and forget the stupid things that the new management initially have done.

If they do the right thing (rarely happens) I would stay

mmainprize
join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI

mmainprize

Current price for 15 meg is $48 a month, but we all got deals of $29 a month. But deals are over is what we have been told.

If they do add a lower speed of 15 megs to the current line up then we must think it will be less then the old normal full price of $48 since 30 meg is $50.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to anon anon

MVM

to anon anon
said by anon anon :

The only plan under $30 a month is 768 kbps and that's $28. 1.5 Mbps is $36, 3 Mbps is $41 and 6 Mbps is $46. And CHARTER is the bad guy? Who here is willing to drop down to 1.5 Mbps to save $19?

In the South S.F. Bay Area, Comcast is at $49.95 for their second lowest tier (their lowest is DSL speed). As my AT&T Pro (3008/512) service price went north of $30, I started shopping around. Worst case, I would have dropped back to their 1536/384 tier. But I was able to double the download for half the price with Sonic.net.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

1 edit

cork1958 to Tanker2

Premium Member

to Tanker2
said by Tanker2:

FWIW, the Charter rep I talked to to said they were rolling out a 15/3 tier in March. They also said no plans to increase the speeds of other tiers. Again, FWIW.

Man!

That HUGE grain of salt I just swallowed with my coffee tasted like crap!!

Believe it when I see it. Would be nice if they left the upload at 4 though. Yep, never happy!!