Comcast Vic
Premium Member
join:2013-01-16
Philadelphia, PA

2 recommendations

ComcastVic

Premium Member

[Wi-Fi] Xbox 360s Wi-fi issues with Arris TG862/TG852

Issue: Xbox 360s with firmware versions 2.X, are sometimes unable to join a wireless network hosted by the Arris TG862/TG852 Comcast Wireless Gateways Devices.

Details: When an Xbox 360 with firmware version is 2.X, attempts to connect to the wireless network hosted by Arris TG862/TG852 with firmware 7.4.63A or earlier, the association with wireless gateway could fail.

Problem: If the firmware version is 2.X, then the Xbox 360 console uses a Marvell-based WiFi chipset. If the firmware version is 12.X, then the Xbox 360 console uses a Qualcomm-Atheros WiFi chipset. This issue is seen only with the Marvell WiFi chipset -- NOT the Qualcomm-Atheros chipset.

Long-Term Fix: This will be resolved with Arris firmware 7.6.59, expected to be released in March 2013 (contingent upon successful quality testing).

Short-Term Workaround: An Xbox 360 can be connected to the wireless gateway via an Ethernet cable.

How to Determine Your Xbox 360 Firmware Version:
1. Start the process to setup a wireless profile to connect to a wireless network
2. Go to the wireless profile and then select "Configure Network"
3. Then go to the right to "Additional Settings" tab
4. Then select "Advanced Settings"
5. Then select "Wireless Information"

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

Thanks for sharing this Vic ! I vote that this should be a sticky topic for now !

ComcastVic
Comcast Vic
Premium Member
join:2013-01-16
Philadelphia, PA

ComcastVic

Premium Member

I agree

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to ComcastVic

MVM

to ComcastVic
I'm not personally affected, but thanks for posting this and getting it out there Vic!

whamel
Premium Member
join:2002-05-09
Evergreen Park, IL
·AT&T FTTP

1 edit

whamel to ComcastVic

Premium Member

to ComcastVic
Just ask a Comcast rep to make your Modem/VoIP box a BRIDGE and not a GATEWAY/router. It disables the WiFi and allows one Ethernet connx to another router of your choice. Basically My D-LINK DIR-825 negotiates the WAN IP, DNS, etc....bypassing the Arris POS. All the Arris is good for is 192.168.100.1 to check signal levels.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

said by whamel:

Just ask a Comcast rep to make your Modem/VoIP box a gateway and not a router.

Do you mean to make it a plain vanilla bridge / cable modem and NOT a gateway / router ?

whamel
Premium Member
Evergreen Park, IL

whamel

Premium Member

I meant bridge the Modem/VoIP Gateway to allow the use of your own Gateway/Router.
I was typing fast and trying to calm the kids while typing, excuse my error.
ashdragon1
join:2013-02-06

ashdragon1 to ComcastVic

to ComcastVic
Also saw this was posted in May of last year, saying it would be March 2013 when the firmware would update. There are hundreds of people online that are having this issue and some that even left Comcast because of it. I don't blame them, This firmware should have been up ages ago. Shame i have to pay for the xbox live and cant use it because Comcast is left behind in the internet race. Here is to hoping that in March the firmware goes threw, as This is a real disappointment in service for a year now...

whamel
Premium Member
Evergreen Park, IL
·AT&T FTTP

whamel

Premium Member

just hook up the Ethernet to the XBOX, that what I do. If you can't and it is wireless, try to move the WiFi router where both are in line of sight of each other, and if you can't do that I suggest going out to a hardware store, buy urself some nice RG6Q (Q=Quad Shield) and move the modem closer to the xbox.
ohhh yea, if your wifi router has external antennas, upgrade those. I use a 14dBi flat panel (directional)and have it nailed to the wall above my window and it has line of sight all the way down the apartment through the window on the other side and I can get WiFi out at the street aorund 24Mbps. But with 4G now, that's retarded..,.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er to ashdragon1

to ashdragon1
said by ashdragon1:

Also saw this was posted in May of last year, saying it would be March 2013 when the firmware would update. There are hundreds of people online that are having this issue and some that even left Comcast because of it. I don't blame them, This firmware should have been up ages ago. Shame i have to pay for the xbox live and cant use it because Comcast is left behind in the internet race. Here is to hoping that in March the firmware goes threw, as This is a real disappointment in service for a year now...

comcast works fine. its not as if ALL connected devices have problems, its only the xbox. so i wouldnt say comcast is to blame for anything.

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88 to ComcastVic

Premium Member

to ComcastVic
I wonder how many trouble calls it took for this issue to be diagnosed...
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune to ashdragon1

Premium Member

to ashdragon1
If the Xbox isn't working with the gateway, and you're not changing it out, then why continue to have a Xbox Live Gold subscription? If I were in your position, I'd suspend the account and save money in the meantime.
ashdragon1
join:2013-02-06

ashdragon1 to gar187er

to gar187er
thank you fanboy. Actually hundreds of people are complaining about this issue as many people use xbox not only for gaming but for their comcast tv viewing - netflix, and other media facebook etc. right comcast is not to blame for not updating firmware as the other companies have knowing about this issue for over a year, myself and many others had no issue before switching to comcast, i even asked the rep if there were any compatibility issues with gaming systems before i purchased from them. I dont understand people that want to defend something that is working for them and not others, its exactly like not donating to a cause because you dont know anyone that suffers from the illness or yourself. so basically dont make random posts your voice is a waste. Im not going to buy a new router, because this is not what i paid for when signing up for Comcast. I could unsubscribe from xbox live but that wouldnt make sense as i paid for a year and have 3 months left, wouldnt make much sense, as hopefully march's firmware patch will fix it. So yes .. comcast is to blame for this yes , all i can say is i hope google Fiber internet service becomes widespread in the next few years or screw it back to verizon is the firmware doesnt work

gar187er
I DID this for a living
Seattle, WA

gar187er

oh no not hundreds out of the MILLIONS of comcast internet users that have an xbox!!!

you could swap the gateway for an SMC then be done with the issue.
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune to ashdragon1

Premium Member

to ashdragon1
said by ashdragon1:

I could unsubscribe from xbox live but that wouldnt make sense as i paid for a year and have 3 months left, wouldnt make much sense, as hopefully march's firmware patch will fix it.

Ah, that makes sense now.
xion_one
join:2004-04-22
Miami, FL

xion_one to gar187er

to gar187er
said by gar187er:

said by ashdragon1:

comcast works fine. its not as if ALL connected devices have problems, its only the xbox. so i wouldnt say comcast is to blame for anything.

If you want to be technical about it, this particular gateway (TG862, not sure about TG852) and its firmware has connectivity problems with numerous much-used devices, including Apple products (iPhones, iPads). So no, its *not* just the Xbox. It also has issues when doing mobile banking for some. The fact that Comcast acknowledged these issues back in May 2012 and the firmware update still has not been available up to now (and Comcast tech support have no idea about any of this when you call them), there is no way you can say they aren't to blame for anything.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
Seattle, WA

gar187er

yea they need to build better modems.
Couriant
join:2012-10-29
Peoria, AZ

Couriant to ComcastVic

to ComcastVic
For those that are affected, I would like to ask if you can check the physical address (MAC address) of your wireless adapter. This includes the computers. There is a known issue with Devices that has the Physical Address (MAC) starting with xx-06-xx-xx-xx-xx and these modems. If you have the 06 in the second part, then that's the reason you can't connect. A factory reset does tend to fix the issue for a while, but a more permanent fix would be to swap the modem out for a TM802G ot TM722G and buy your own router... which you have more control over.

adfadsf
@comcast.net

adfadsf

Anon

I'm at a friends house. The MAC address of the "computer" (aka xbox) does NOT contain '06'.

I've tried all sorts of stuff to get it to work and nothing seems to matter. It connected briefly once, but hasn't since then.
jeremiah2305
join:2013-03-21
Tacoma, WA

jeremiah2305

Well the latest firmware update was rolled back due to the WiFi issues but it fixed the Xbox connection errors. Unfortunately the old or standard firmware is still incompatible, and connection varies on or off after tinkering with different settings. I think at this point CC should really think about discontinuing this device and just issue the SMC if customers want a gateway. Half of the posts in the CC forum are about this thing, heck I even posted a few when I had it.

Eveala
@comcast.net

Eveala

Anon

As of today April 7th the xbox live still doesnt work & no updated firmware yet...

not
@comcast.net

not to ComcastVic

Anon

to ComcastVic
While you're at it Vic, have them fix the multicast protocol support so that services like Apple AirPrint is supported across these Gateways. That's what Arris should be fixing. Thanks in advance.

noomi85
@comcastbusiness.net

noomi85

Anon

The firmware update actually fixed this issue, albeit only for a day or so until the firmware was rolled back again due to wireless issues.

Still awaiting this fix. Hoping for the best here.

Samaritan722
@comcast.net

Samaritan722 to ComcastVic

Anon

to ComcastVic
i wanted to come on here and say that i was one of these people desperately searching for a solution to this issue. on most forums i just read these troll answers hammering down the fact that the only way to fix this is to tell comcast to put the arris tg862 in bridge and buy your own router. thanks to obama's and illinois' awesome taxes i cant afford a new router with a 20k income, and i imagine most people are in the same situation. so here's what i did. to fix this.
I have a laptop with windows 7, so obviously, you need a laptop with windows 7 and an ethernet cord long enough to comfortably connect between your 360 and your laptop in order to follow my instructions.

since i was able to connect my laptop to the gateway via wifi, i took an ethernet cord and connected it to the back on the 360 slim. changed the network setup to "wired" on the 360 and then went into my network config on my laptop.
just take the network that you use to connect, it'll be your SSID and then select the wired connection, (it will say it's connected because of the ethernet cord but it wont be active, select that one) - simultaneously by holding the ctrl button. then right click and select "bridge connections" and then wait a sec.
once the bridge is set up, you should be able to test your network on the 360. i was lagging horribly before i fixed this, now it's at a steady 100mbps. i also didnt even have to reset my gateway or turn anything off for 10 seconds or anything.
of course, it's crude at best, and obviously if you're having people over it's not really the best thing to have, and obviously at some point if they don't fix this you might have to get something anyway, but if you're by yourself at night and all you wanna do is frag somebody without glitching into a wall, this is your answer.