·TekSavvy DSL

1 recommendation

reply to lordpuffer

Re: FYI - Nexus 4 is currently available on Google Play

said by lordpuffer:

FYI......I always buy from Seidio for cases for my phones:

»www.seidioonline.com/

Take a look.

Thanks for pointing that out, they look pretty cool.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
reply to lordpuffer
To anyone who got one already, can you comment on the battery life?
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium
join:2001-08-02
Michigan City, IN

2 edits

1 recommendation

said by Alcohol:

When I had mine I probably was getting around 4-5 hours on screen time couldn't really say about how long battery lasted though I always had it on a charger.

1 word of advice..you'll probably want a case for this phone..the glass on the back scratches pretty easily..and it seemed to happen most at the top near the camera.

Phone does feel solid without a case (due to the glass on the back) but if your one who doesn't like scratches ..

Don't have mine anymore though..sold it and went back to the iPhone for the 5 ..like Android but the apps and updates on iOS are far better than the Android ecosystem still. (Just my opinion) Along with more support in the retail business, for accessorizes and free iTunes gift card at Speedway, w00t.

chmod
Premium
join:2000-12-12
Lockport, IL
reply to Alcohol
Anywhere between 3-6hours of screen on time depending on wifi and signal strength. Sleep drain for me is about .3%/hour on wifi. I did 5.75hours screen on 80% wifi this is with all google location services being used as well an gnow all active. All done on faux kernel clocked at 1.35ghz and a very conservative -62.5mv undervolt. There also seems to be a correlation between the cpu "bin speed" and the amount of juice that is supplied. Phones with faster bins should have better battery than slower binned phone out of box without any other configuration. Slow, nominal, fast and faster is how it is categorized. A simple su terminal command will tell you what you have. I have a "fast" binned cpu which results in a lower voltage supplied and as mentioned I uv another 62.5mv on top of that anymore and I get unstable.
--
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
kudos:2
reply to lordpuffer
FYI - As of the time of this post, the 8GB version is "Temporarily Out Of Stock." The 16GB version is still available.

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
reply to lordpuffer
Friend of mine ordered a Nexus 4 on the 5th... it said "Ships in 2 - 3 weeks" at the time of his order. He got an "shipped" email early am on the 7th... and the phone arrived that evening on the 7th.

His credit card charge for the phone was still "pending" with his credit card/bank account while he had the phone in his hand... I have never seen that happen with any company

I played around with it a bit... seems pretty nice. I have a nexus 7, and to be honest it is much faster than the 7... the N4 is the fastest android device I've seen so far. Now I want one.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne
said by dib22:

Now I want one.

Yea, I want one too. Money is pretty tight right now and my GNex is working fine. We just got LTE in my area, so I may wait until there is a full LTE capable Nexus phone.

ScottMo
Once in a Lifetime
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-15
Stony Brook, NY
reply to Alcohol
said by Alcohol:

I came from a Nexus 1 to the Nexus 4. The battery on the N4 didn't last nearly as long - at the end of the day my N1 was ~60% battery, the N4 was ~25%.

After investigating processes using the battery I had run into the Google Maps battery drain issue. After turning off location reporting in Maps (and a reboot) the N4 is about the same (~60%) with modest use at the end of the day.
Screen is set to Auto
Wifi is off

All in all, I'm satisfied with the battery life.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
Yeah, i've noticed google maps killing the battery on my galaxy nexus a lot more than one x which is why i was hesitant to buy another nexus. Battery life on GN is so shitty and my next phone has to have a battery that lasts me a full day. Tired of worrying about charging my phone 3 times a day.

Interesting to see n4 getting decent battery with a few tweaks but i might go with droid razr maxx hd (or next version of it) . It sucks that it won't get updated or have stock but if i don't have to worry about the battery during the day it'll be a lot less stressful.

Are you able to get 4+ hours of chrome usage with a charge?
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
said by Alcohol:

Battery life on GN is so shitty and my next phone has to have a battery that lasts me a full day.

Tell me about it. I can't go two hours of screen-on time without having to plug the thing in. I can literally watch the battery percentage drop every minute and a half.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | AOKP (The Android Open Kang Project)

chmod
Premium
Lockport, IL
reply to lordpuffer
Official wireless charger now available here. Its cool but I can't justify the price atm.
--
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne
said by chmod:

Official wireless charger now available here. Its cool but I can't justify the price atm.

I don't blame you. I know that it is soon going to be the standard, but for $60 I would also just go ahead and plug it in.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
reply to lordpuffer
My phone arrived today! Woot!

This thing is soooo sweet. Damn. Previous apps loaded, contacts on it, and doing the 4G boogy!

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne
said by Juggernaut:

My phone arrived today! Woot!

This thing is soooo sweet. Damn. Previous apps loaded, contacts on it, and doing the 4G boogy!

Congrats.....I'm going to have to go over to a T-Mobile store just to compare my GNex screen size agains the N4. For me, the GNex is perfect. However, the N4 sounds sweet.

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC
You'll love it. Ya know ya wanna...

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
reply to chmod
So that's what they did with all the plastic parts leftover from the Nexus Q

For $60 I can plug a cable in as well.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to lordpuffer
Sorry for not getting back to y'all about this, but my phone came in on Monday, this thing rocks.

Battery life is excellent, performance is the best on a phone I've seen thus far, I can't wait to root this puppy and start installing custom ROMs

EQ
--

chmod
Premium
Lockport, IL
reply to lordpuffer
Anybody get 4.2.2 ota yet? There is a twrp/cwm flashable out already.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
I got a system update yesterday, not sure if it was 4.2.2 though...
--

chmod
Premium
Lockport, IL
Wasn't 4.2.2 then, that just started rolling out today.

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC
reply to El Quintron
It was 4.2.1.

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC
reply to lordpuffer
A quick tip: if you load a movie to watch, put it in the Download folder. Then, open the Gallery to find it.

Took me a few minutes to suss this out.
--
"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." ~ Albert Einstein

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC
reply to lordpuffer

Nexus 4 JDQ39 4.2.2 OTA Update Removes Unofficial LTE on Band 4

Crap! No more LTE?

»www.anandtech.com/show/6745/nexu···n-band-4

I'll avoid the update as long as possible. Background data is off, and will remain so.
--
"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." ~ Albert Einstein

chmod
Premium
Lockport, IL

Re: Nexus 4 JDQ39 4.2.2 OTA Update Removes Unofficial LTE on Ban

You can retain LTE with the 4.2.2 update by using the old baseband.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Juggernaut
said by Juggernaut:

Crap! No more LTE?

»www.anandtech.com/show/6745/nexu···n-band-4

I'll avoid the update as long as possible. Background data is off, and will remain so.

I just did a test and there is no LTE on WIND in downtown T.O. which sucks really, I guess I don't have to hold back on updating too much.
--

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC
Have it here on Rogers. It's pretty darn fast. Don't want to root for a while if at all possible.

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC
Update: The dreaded 4.2.2 got downloaded a few minutes ago.

Does anyone know if it can be swiped away on the curtain, or does merely touching it install it?
--

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH
What are you trying to do? Keep LTE?

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC
Yep, and as stated, don't want to root for a while.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH
You can keep root even during an OTA. Download and install OTA RootKeeper on the Play Store. Run it, tell it to protect root, and then run the OTA update. Once the OTA update is complete, run OTA RootKeeper again and restore root. Tada! You're done.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | AOKP (The Android Open Kang Project)