Premium
join:2012-12-14
Purcellville, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to a333

Re: Software rights

Only "lately"?

It seems like we've been beyond the level that rational people would consider absurd for at least a couple decades. Extending copyright beyond the copyright holder's death, allowing the MPAA and RIAA to act in a threatening manner toward citizens who are not proven guilty of any crime, allowing patents for things like "squares with rounded corners" (yes, Apple got a patent from the PTO for this stupidity)...

I could go on, but I'm sure you get my point.

And just exactly why does the MPAA need the FBI's help in tracking down someone who copies a movie? I wonder how much our government officials got paid off to add those FBI warnings at the start of each movie. There's nothing like a private industry stealing from the citizens by employing a law enforcement agency funded with public tax dollars to do their private bidding.

Bruzote

@comcast.net

Extending copyright after death has a benefit to in that it helps to discourage parties with deep pockets from stealing your copyrighted material. If you took the parties to court in a world without post mortem copyright, that party could keep you locked up in court 'til you die. (Sometimes, crime does pay.) Copyright extension beyone death ensures every stealer has to pay. I'm not saying the idea of post-mortem copyright is a good one, but it has a benefit.