Androidian

join:2012-12-14
Purcellville, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to IowaCowboy

Re: Software rights

said by IowaCowboy:

Remember, even though you own the device, you don't own the software on the device, the developer owns it.

This sounds like it would then be a private matter between the developer who owns the software and the person who reverse engineers it. Hence, no government involvement is warranted unless the developer discovers the infraction and decides to file a lawsuit in civil court on his or her own. Use of public agencies and personnel to locate and/or criminally prosecute people who hack this software is, in my opinion, a misappropriation of public funds.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

Along the same lines, I would think then couldn't Microsoft go after all those 3rd party app developers like Start 8 that put functionally back into Windows 8 that Microsoft removed?

If you say its illegal to "unlock" your phone, would it also be "illegal" to modify Windows 8 to give you the start menu back?

Another example: You buy a desktop from Dell with Windows 8 on it. Once you get it home, you format the drive, and install Linux because you do not like Windows 8. Is Dell going to hunt you down and throw you in jail, because you choose to install another OS? I don't think so.

Regardless if the hardware is a phone, tablet, laptop, or desktop. You as a consumer have paid for said device. Its your hardware, and you should be allowed to install or modify the software on it however you see fit.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail