Search similar:

uniqs

G4BVH
@virginmedia.com

G4BVH

Anon

What else to EME'ers do?

Hi,
I have been reading a lot about EME recently but really don't know if it is something I want to persue, though it looks very interesting and challenging.
One thing that I have wondered is what someone with a fairly limited setup, perhaps a single yagi and not a huge amount of power does after they have worked the big guns. I appreciate they will work some of the smaller stations, given the right circumstances and a bit of luck but I imagine there is a fairly finite number of stations someone with a modest setup can work.
So what do they do then? Do they work the big guns again and again? Do the big guns get fed up with this? What else does a little pistle do when they have worked most of the stations they can work?
Thanks for any input.
73, Peter G4BVH

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag

Big Gun EME contacts are relatively easy. What a good EME'r with a lower performance system will do is set up scheduled contacts with others in the same boat. It takes a lot of time, and listening, and just "trying the water" in EME. Propagation windows can be very brief, but even single-yagi stations can do more than most people think.

Of course most stations are now software-operated, which to me takes out some of the fun but there are enough out there who do it the "old way".

raypsi1
join:2001-04-09
Wayne, MI

raypsi1 to G4BVH

to G4BVH
Hey OT

Nowadays WSJT is being used for EME, WSJT software can pull out a signal 10db below the noise floor. I suggest you search WSJT to see whats going on and how by accident EME got started in that mode,
The WS stands for weak signal and the JT is Joe Taylor who invented it.\

73 OM
de n8zu good luck and good dxing
PL239
join:2013-06-17
Aliquippa, PA

PL239 to G4BVH

to G4BVH
A single beam antenna and even a 1500 watt pre amp isn't going to get you much if you are trying to talk to someone.
Not counting digital modes.
Even that will be pretty hard...

The moon is somewhere around 238,900 miles and its surface is not reflective, it actually absorbs some of the signal.

Its not as easy as you might think.

As anyone that lives in a northern climate can tell you how hard it is to keep 12 beam antenna's up in the air and working all the time.
Its a ongoing process - always something to work on and something broke and the first good ice storm - you have to start all over again....