how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Dones

join:2008-02-14
Toronto, ON

To be 1% in Canada is to make $201,000

Wow. My dad used to make around $150,000 a year, that's pretty close.

»fullcomment.nationalpost.com/201···tatscan/

FiReSTaRT
Premium
join:2010-02-26
Canada
Most people are considered to be "overpaid" if they make 1/4 of that

Markie
Still Living Free

join:2009-07-11
Canada
reply to Dones
Pretty low, imho.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to Dones
Petty cash, and forget the 1/4 of that, some are screaming minimum wage of $10.25 is too high

Dones

Toronto, ON
reply to Markie
said by Markie:

Pretty low, imho.

I know. It's $506,000 in the states.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
reply to Dones
said by Dones:

No one in my family ever made that kind of money. I never have.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8

1 edit
reply to Dones
said by Dones:

said by Markie:

Pretty low, imho.

I know. It's $506,000 in the states.

Which means what? It's an average, and a highly misleading statistic, because there is a very small number of people making obscenely large amounts of money. The US has one of the worst income inequalities in the industrialized world (look up "Gini coefficient"). The top 6% make about a third of all income, and the upper middle class makes most of the rest. Less than 2% of the population makes over $250K. The median income for men -- a much more telling statistic than the average -- was only about $45K in 2007, and the median income per household member over the age of 14 was $26K.

One of the most important measures of the strength of a society, its peacefulness, and the happiness of its members, is the relative lack of extreme income disparity. Be glad you live in Canada. I know I am.
--
"The promoters of the global economy see nothing odd or difficult about unlimited economic growth or unlimited consumption in a limited world."
-- Wendell Berry

Dones

Toronto, ON
I agree. I'd much rather live here where there's more income equality (tell that to the teabaggers lol). It's just when you compare our average with our only neighbour, it's pretty low. I know there are people making hundreds of millions over there so averages don't really mean much.

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to Dones
It's not the 1% but the .01%. I know when I used to hang out below the Bay Area near Pebble Beach and on the east coast when I chill in the Florida Keys or near Miami it's like, "where the fuck do these people get all this money?" House after house for miles, like 17 mile drive, all in the millions and 10s of millions. Makes one feel like a pauper down there. »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/17-Mile_Drive

Kitlope

join:2004-07-29
Edmonton, Ab
reply to FiReSTaRT
said by FiReSTaRT:

Most people are considered to be "overpaid" if they make 1/4 of that

Agreed and that's why the middle class is in big trouble in the decades ahead. Anybody that makes a decent living is considered overpaid by many so in the end it's just a race to the bottom.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
reply to Dones
Wow, so then the group featured in this piece are a more elite group of Rich Canadians.
»link.brightcove.com/services/pla···05410001

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Petty cash, and forget the 1/4 of that, some are screaming minimum wage of $10.25 is too high

i have yet to see anyone here say that.

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON
reply to Dones
I'm making as much now as it took my dad to make in 25 years at his job.

FiReSTaRT
Premium
join:2010-02-26
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom
By the way, one thing I liked about this article was that it demonstrated that the Liberals aren't really championing for the little guy and all that jazz. They're the moderate right and don't swing too far left of the Cons.

Another interesting tidbit.. With the median income in the $28,000 dollar range, one would have to work for 15-20 years without eating, needing clothes, paying rent, paying utilities or paying taxes for that matter, in order to make enough money to buy a house in a major metropolitan area.
--
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.
—George Bernard Shaw

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to DKS
said by DKS:

said by Dones:

No one in my family ever made that kind of money. I never have.

Same here.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to FiReSTaRT
said by FiReSTaRT:

Another interesting tidbit.. With the median income in the $28,000 dollar range, one would have to work for 15-20 years without eating, needing clothes, paying rent, paying utilities or paying taxes for that matter, in order to make enough money to buy a house in a major metropolitan area.

while i don't live in the GTA, i lived on less than that here for many years...rent, food, car/gas/insurance, child support...no, i didn't eat caviar and live in a McMansion, but i managed ok...when better opportunities presented themselves, i improved my circumstances.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

Doonz

join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB
reply to Dones
wow 200k puts you in the 1% LOL

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
reply to dirtyjeffer
In wasn't talking about anyone here the next scheduled minimum wage increase was postponed because of business protests.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to Last Parade
said by Last Parade:

i make more in a day than my parents made a week in the mid 60s.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
reply to Wolfie00
said by Wolfie00:

One of the most important measures of the strength of a society, its peacefulness, and the happiness of its members, is the relative lack of extreme income disparity. Be glad you live in Canada. I know I am.

Not so sure. Denmark has the most equality of income based on World Bank Gini: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co···ity#List
But they are at 105 out of 143 in the Happiness Index: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Plan···_ranking
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 edit
reply to dirtyjeffer
said by dirtyjeffer:

said by Last Parade:

i make more in a day than my parents made a week in the mid 60s.

That is called inflation.
»www.bankofcanada.ca/rates/relate···culator/
A "basket" of goods and services that cost: $100 in 1965
...would cost: $708.77 in 2012

I frequently make more in 1 day in the stock market now than I made in a whole year when I started out after college in the 70's.
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

horsey

@eastlink.ca
reply to Dones
said by Dones:

They got the stats from...
»www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quotidie···-eng.htm
that is the stats from all tax payers...so from about 16 years until after death AND YES you owe taxes after death.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to FFH5
i know that, hence my winky and tongue stuck out smiley.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
reply to FFH5
said by FFH5:

said by Wolfie00:

Not so sure. Denmark has the most equality of income based on World Bank Gini: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co···ity#List
But they are at 105 out of 143 in the Happiness Index: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Plan···_ranking

As with many things that are hard to quantify and subject to a wide array of variables like cultural factors, its not always going to be an ironclad or perfect correlation -- but it's there...
»www.livescience.com/14638-income···ess.html

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON
reply to Dones
A less classicist analysis of the Statscan numbers reveals the usual omissions designed to present a particular point of view, a bias that an ostensibly impartial statistics agency should not in the business of.

quote:
Among Canada’s 1%-ers, senior managers and CEOs, the ritual target of Occupy, are overrepresented relative to their share of the population at large — but account for only 14% of the group. Who else is there? Yes, other financial professionals and executives, for whom the 1990s and early 2000s were pretty good, but physicians, dentists and veterinarians accounted for a full tenth of the 1%-ers, and they represent rather less than 10% of the population. Taken together, those with medical, dental or veterinary or other post-grad degrees account for almost a third of the high earners.

And, from an industry perspective, Prof. Fortin and co-authors observe also that 16% of the top group are professional, scientific and technical employees. They rather dryly note, too, that recent policy measures, such as a targeted tax on the rich, “would mostly target people who are neither top executives nor financial professionals.”

...The income shares, over three decades (in fact, since the early 1950s) have hardly budged, and the figure could almost be drawn with a ruler. Because I have used a broad income measure — income after tax [not measured by StatsCan], including capital gains — we can see a pop in the 95-99% share reported in 1994. That is because the federal government of the day rolled back, except for farmers and some others — the lifetime capital gains exemption that had existed since the last half of the 1980s. Those who had gains reported them then, because it was their last chance to get a healthy break on taxes on the taxable share of their wealth.

Another factor pushing down the reported earnings among the bottom 50%, is a sharp rise, a 10-percentage point rise since the 1980s, in the portion of the population turning up on the tax-filer database. This is because of the growth in refundable federal and provincial tax credits, eligibility for which requires low-income earners to file returns.

»opinion.financialpost.com/2013/0···re-26602
--
Logic requires one to deal with decisions that one's ego will not permit.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke.