ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to antdude

Re: Yes, that PC cleanup app you saw on TV at 3 a.m...

All the nurdly posters here know the ad is for crapware.
BUT the general public keeps hearing the dweeb-wannabe's tell them that they should clean their computer. The wannabe's don't know squat and offer no help. Jane and Joe User, (idiots according to 1 poster), see these ads and dig out the credit card.

Posting here saying it's a scam and fraud and such is preaching to the choir and serves no real purpose. Do something to protect the naive. Tell friends, family, co-workers, neighbors that these ads are snake oil. Offer suggestions and help. If you don't do it these types of bogus ads will keep on coming and threads like this will continue to pop up again and again.
--
CMKRNL

sbconslt

join:2009-07-28
Los Angeles, CA
Click for full size
Ordinary people do seem to have an inkling. Consider this ^^^

If you want to help people not get ensnared you want to have everything we've pounded the table about here rank highly in those search results.

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium
join:2001-12-11
SOG C&C Nrth
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..
reply to vaxvms
said by vaxvms:

All the nurdly posters here know the ad is for crapware.
BUT the general public keeps hearing the dweeb-wannabe's tell them that they should clean their computer. The wannabe's don't know squat and offer no help. Jane and Joe User, (idiots according to 1 poster), see these ads and dig out the credit card.

Posting here saying it's a scam and fraud and such is preaching to the choir and serves no real purpose. Do something to protect the naive. Tell friends, family, co-workers, neighbors that these ads are snake oil. Offer suggestions and help. If you don't do it these types of bogus ads will keep on coming and threads like this will continue to pop up again and again.

computer illiteracy is not just seniors.........itz wide spread........you can not fix stupid........thatz why you should watch your neighbors trash.............so when they throw away a perfectly good system.........you'll be there to snatch it up ahead of waste management and the like
--
101ST ABN Div. (AirAssault) "Rendezvous With Destiny!" "Night Stalkers/Phoenix Flight" For Buddy...who lived it! Whiskey for my men and beer for my horses! H.A.L.O!, 5th Grp., MACV SOG, 160TH AVN SOG, Death From Above, VFW, AmLegion

The Antihero

join:2002-04-09
Enola, PA
reply to vaxvms
said by vaxvms:

Tell friends, family, co-workers, neighbors that these ads are snake oil. Offer suggestions and help. If you don't do it these types of bogus ads will keep on coming and threads like this will continue to pop up again and again.

I do just that, and most of my friends and family know to run these things by me or my son before doing anything. But there are a lot of people out there that I'm not in regular contact with who don't know about these things. I was referred by a sister of a friend a few years ago, who had a machine that was so badly infected that I had to resort to wiping the damn thing because when I tried to remove the infections, I lost the internet and couldn't get it back.

One of the many infections was one of those fake virus scanners. When I called her to let her know it was done, she had mentioned the scanner, and told me she had paid for the full version, but didn't think it did anything to help. I just rolled my eyes and told her, "I can't think of a nice way to tell you that you got screwed, so I'm just going to come right out and say you got screwed."