Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8

1 edit
said by Dones:

said by Markie:

Pretty low, imho.

I know. It's $506,000 in the states.

Which means what? It's an average, and a highly misleading statistic, because there is a very small number of people making obscenely large amounts of money. The US has one of the worst income inequalities in the industrialized world (look up "Gini coefficient"). The top 6% make about a third of all income, and the upper middle class makes most of the rest. Less than 2% of the population makes over $250K. The median income for men -- a much more telling statistic than the average -- was only about $45K in 2007, and the median income per household member over the age of 14 was $26K.

One of the most important measures of the strength of a society, its peacefulness, and the happiness of its members, is the relative lack of extreme income disparity. Be glad you live in Canada. I know I am.
--
"The promoters of the global economy see nothing odd or difficult about unlimited economic growth or unlimited consumption in a limited world."
-- Wendell Berry

Dones

join:2008-02-14
Toronto, ON
I agree. I'd much rather live here where there's more income equality (tell that to the teabaggers lol). It's just when you compare our average with our only neighbour, it's pretty low. I know there are people making hundreds of millions over there so averages don't really mean much.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to Wolfie00
said by Wolfie00:

One of the most important measures of the strength of a society, its peacefulness, and the happiness of its members, is the relative lack of extreme income disparity. Be glad you live in Canada. I know I am.

Not so sure. Denmark has the most equality of income based on World Bank Gini: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co···ity#List
But they are at 105 out of 143 in the Happiness Index: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Plan···_ranking
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
said by FFH5:

said by Wolfie00:

Not so sure. Denmark has the most equality of income based on World Bank Gini: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co···ity#List
But they are at 105 out of 143 in the Happiness Index: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Plan···_ranking

As with many things that are hard to quantify and subject to a wide array of variables like cultural factors, its not always going to be an ironclad or perfect correlation -- but it's there...
»www.livescience.com/14638-income···ess.html