kudos:24
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy
reply to DownTheShore

Re: Be careful what you buy and where you buy it -

said by DownTheShore:

said by chrisretusn:

No sympathies here. You gotta be stupid to pay that kind of money for super bowl tickets.

This.

We're trying to figure out how to pay for the repairs for the damage caused by Sandy. No sympathy from me for people who will throw away that kind of money on a single game.

I can completely agree with your thoughts. I wouldn't do it even without Sandy.
--
JKK

Age is a very high price to pay for my maturity. If I can't stay young, I can at least stay immature!

»www.pbase.com/jaykaykay

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
reply to Ken1943
said by Ken1943:

Or meeting someone in person and getting a gun stuck in your face.
Craig's List can be a very bad place.

The line, "Bring $500 and meet me under the pier at midnight, come alone" is usually a tip off.
--
The signal is usually drowned out by the noise.
Expand your moderator at work

DownTheShore
RIP tmpchaos
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:14
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

2 recommendations

reply to chrisretusn

said by chrisretusn:

No sympathies here. You gotta be stupid to pay that kind of money for super bowl tickets.

This.

We're trying to figure out how to pay for the repairs for the damage caused by Sandy. No sympathy from me for people who will throw away that kind of money on a single game.

ctggzg
Premium
join:2005-02-11
USA
kudos:2
reply to KoRnGtL15
said by KoRnGtL15:

lol human stupidity at its finest hour. 3 red flags. Email, text and most of all. Craigslist.

No, yellow flags at worst. The only red flag was asking for a wire payment without solid, verifiable identification.

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium
join:2001-12-11
SOG C&C Nrth
reply to M A R S
hey..........i'm tryin' not 2have 2 commit a felony by havin' 2hunt down the perp............;=))

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

1 recommendation

reply to jaykaykay
If someone asks you to "wire" funds for anything, that should be a big red flag. Unfortunately, this is what has been done with various scams perpetrated on the elderly and other unsuspecting and naive individuals over the recent decades. Then there were the fake company and certified checks that came out of Canada and other locations in past years resulting in charge backs that drained bank accounts of those who deposited the phony documents.
--
It is easier for a camel to put on a bikini than an old man to thread a needle.

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
reply to jaykaykay
Click for full size
Hows this for careful what you buy!

»www.aliexpress.com/store/product···180.html

gaforces
United We Stand, Divided We Fall

join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA
reply to jaykaykay
Ive bought and sold on craigslist locally. I would never send money to strangers on there.
Cash and carry with caution.
Craiglist is fantastic AAAAAAAAA+++++++++

Screw those money grubbers at ebay with thier outrageous fees and paypal too!!
--
Let them eat FIBER!

bn1221

join:2009-04-29
Cortland, NY
Reviews:
·TowerStream
reply to jaykaykay
Buyer beware. I used to buy and sell Iphones and laptops all the time. I have a junk gmail account I use for initial contact.

I get the ESN or IMEI and check with my corporate guy to make sure its not stolen. When I buy or sell I typically make them meet in one of the offices where we have armed security in the lobby.

Never send money and and always vet the source!

M A R S
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Long Island
kudos:1
reply to Phoenix22
said by Phoenix22:

said by DrStrange:

Bear with me if I've posted the following before, but it's worth repeating now and then:

Craigslist - You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Craigslist............is definitely a no no no

Never had a problem. Then again I'm not a fool. Sold and bought lots and lots of stuff.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to drew
said by drew:

quote:
"I wish I could tell you that we don't hear this story a lot, but we do," Hubbard told a reporter and Osgood on a conference call. "There are a lot of places that fans go to buy tickets that aren't safe, and they get completely exploited. And it drives us crazy."
L O L - That's rich. The CEO of Ticketmaster saying that people get exploited when purchasing event tickets and not referring to Ticketmaster itself.

I had to read it 3 times before I got the joke.
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium
join:2001-12-11
SOG C&C Nrth
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..
reply to DrStrange
said by DrStrange:

Bear with me if I've posted the following before, but it's worth repeating now and then:

Craigslist - You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Craigslist............is definitely a no no no
--
101ST ABN Div. (AirAssault) "Rendezvous With Destiny!" "Night Stalkers/Phoenix Flight" For Buddy...who lived it! Whiskey for my men and beer for my horses! H.A.L.O!, 5th Grp., MACV SOG, 160TH AVN SOG, Death From Above, VFW, AmLegion
Expand your moderator at work

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT

2 recommendations

reply to jaykaykay

drew
Radiant
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6

1 recommendation

reply to AVD
quote:
"I wish I could tell you that we don't hear this story a lot, but we do," Hubbard told a reporter and Osgood on a conference call. "There are a lot of places that fans go to buy tickets that aren't safe, and they get completely exploited. And it drives us crazy."
L O L - That's rich. The CEO of Ticketmaster saying that people get exploited when purchasing event tickets and not referring to Ticketmaster itself.
--
flickr | 'Cause I've been waiting, all my life just waiting
For you to shine, shine your light on me

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to KoRnGtL15
said by KoRnGtL15:

You could be on to something and that very well could be possible. At the same time IF that is not the case. They got lavishly rewarded for being stupid.

its in ticketmaster's interest to publicize this story.
--

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
reply to KoRnGtL15
said by KoRnGtL15:

lol human stupidity at its finest hour. 3 red flags. Email, text and most of all. Craigslist.

the email and texting was internal to the family. My red flag was that they had to wire the money.
--

aannoonn

@optonline.net
reply to unoriginal
said by unoriginal:

I want to believe in people and give them the benefit of the doubt but what if the "victim" concocted this whole story just to get free SB tickets. I don't like it that I'm jaded enough towards people in order to make that leap in the first place.

It's also possible that this was not a scam, and the tickets were stolen by a FedEx employee. My father had NY Giants season tickets stolen from the mail years ago. At every game, someone showed up holding the stolen tickets; they said they bought them from someone in Brooklyn.

Rebrider
Been There Done That
Premium
join:2000-11-23
reply to jaykaykay
You can't fix stupid! I have been very sucessful buying and selling on craiglist. I never post my phone or contact info. Have them send me an email thru craiglist. The serious ones I email and have them send me a phone # they can be reached at.
Of course I never try to buy things like that. Hard to fake a 4 wheeler or mower.

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to jaykaykay
Nothing new here. The ancient Romans had it pegged long, long ago: Caveat Emptor.

For the non Latin speakers:
said by The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language :

caveat emptor

caveat emptor (kA´vê-àt´ èmp´tôr´) noun
The axiom or principle in commerce that the buyer alone is responsible for assessing the quality of a purchase before buying.

[From Latin, let the buyer beware : caveat, imperative of cavêre, to beware + emptor, buyer.]

--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
Reviews:
·PLDT
·Comcast
reply to unoriginal
Sheesh, now that just takes the cake, and Ice cream too. Your angle on this sounds quite plausible. Guess being stupid has it rewards.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

KoRnGtL15
Premium
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

1 edit
reply to unoriginal
You could be on to something and that very well could be possible. At the same time IF that is not the case. They got lavishly rewarded for being stupid.

unoriginal
Premium
join:2000-07-12
San Diego, CA
reply to chrisretusn
»www.mercurynews.com/southbayfoot···cammed-5

Here's a follow up story to jaykaykay's link.

quote:
After this newspaper's story on the couple was read around the country Tuesday, Ticketmaster CEO Nathan Hubbard called Hayward resident Sharon Osgood to offer four free tickets for her, her boyfriend and other family members who got scammed. Hubbard also arranged for Osgood and her partner to have breakfast with NFL legend Troy Aikman.
I want to believe in people and give them the benefit of the doubt but what if the "victim" concocted this whole story just to get free SB tickets. I don't like it that I'm jaded enough towards people in order to make that leap in the first place.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines

1 recommendation

reply to jaykaykay
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

1 recommendation

reply to KoRnGtL15
I remember when I bought a smartphone off of someone on Craigslist. I had $400 in cash to buy the phone. I met the guy in a very public place, a Verizon Wireless store. I made sure that I activated the phone first, made sure that the phone worked as intended and all buttons worked as well. Oh, and I had a good friend with me who just so happened to be licensed to carry a concealed weapon.

I hate to say this, but trust no one. Always make sure that you have the merchandise in-hand (and in the case of expensive football game tickets, make sure that they are authentic), meet in a public place, and make sure to hand no cash over until the transaction is complete.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | AOKP (The Android Open Kang Project)

KoRnGtL15
Premium
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR
reply to jaykaykay

marti
Color outside the lines
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-14
Houston, TX
kudos:5
reply to jaykaykay
When husband died several years ago, I had to sell a few things that I did not need, to friends, at a low price. The things I was selling were things than men buy, and I didn't want the boogeyman on my property.
--
Team Discovery

Ken1943

join:2001-12-30
Denver, CO
reply to jaykaykay
Or meeting someone in person and getting a gun stuck in your face.
Craig's List can be a very bad place.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy

2 recommendations

Craigslist, while helpful to some, can be a big loss for others. Make sure whom you are buying from before you send them money/pay them in any way. If you can't, don't do it.

Scammer Sends Hayward Couple ‘Go Ravens’ Note In Place Of $5,900 Super Bowl Tickets

HAYWARD (CBS SF) – An East Bay couple is out nearly $6,000 after falling victim to a scammer offering fake tickets to the Super Bowl.

The Osgood family found four seats for sale on Craigslist through an individual claiming to be a Baltimore Ravens season ticketholder. The cost seemed fair – $5,900, about double the original price.

After talking the deal out through text and email messages, the couple wired the funds cross country. When the package arrived from the seller, all it contained was a printed note that said “”Enjoy the game!!!! Go Ravens!!! LOL.”

»sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2013/0···tickets/
--
JKK

Age is a very high price to pay for my maturity. If I can't stay young, I can at least stay immature!

»www.pbase.com/jaykaykay